Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Amazon Going to Partner/Buyout OUYA?

This is a pretty crazy article I just read on Fudzilla

With all of the other challengers it might be right

Sources tell us that Amazon is talking with the powers that be at OUYA about making the console an Amazon exclusive. While we know that the plan is for a second Kickstarter offering to upgrade the unit and add more abilities, the reality is that with all of the other challengers being announced from a variety of sources, it just might be the way for Amazon to get a solid foothold into the video game space that is primarily focused on electronic software distribution.

No one seems to know all of the details yet, but an Amazon exclusive deal would solve a lot of problems for OUYA and give it solid backing and an attractive distribution channel. As Amazon has shown with the Kindle, it can sell electronics, and OUYA could be a perfect fit.

Look for the news to pick up if this deal is going to happen. We think that if it is going to happen, it will happen soon, and Amazon will push hard to quickly establish itself as the leader in this micro-console space. One advantage the OUYA does seem to have for the moment is that it looks like it will arrive to market before some of the more recently announced rivals.
    Article is from: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30...ouya-exclusive

Then it appears as though Pocket-Lint is also inferring the same thing. According to mobilemag:
    Pocket-Lint also reported that when the standard OUYA is finally released, it will be an Amazon.com exclusive, if true, it could limit the market, which could be what they want, considering this is more of an enthusiast indie console and not so much of a mainstream device like the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Still, with NVIDIA unveiling a much more advanced handheld Android system just yesterday, they might adjust their marketing plan.
    So I went and looked for the Pocket-lint article and found it. Here is what it said.

We have also been told that in the US the console will initially be an Amazon.com exclusive on its full consumer release - currently, only those who pledged funds in the higher brackets have their machines. We are yet to find out if such a deal will exist with Amazon.co.uk in the UK.
    I don't know what to make of it. This could potentially be huge for OUYA and their fans/devs! Do you think Amazon might consider a buyout, or perhaps a partnership?
    Last edited by MyOpia; 01-10-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Super Moderator

It's not a buyout,they have just bought the rights to sell it exclusively from thier site. So no other stores will be able to. Gamestop...walmart...and any international ones Im not familiar with.

Over all prob not a bad idea by ouya because I dont think they have enough hardware to supply these other chains currently. And it would not be smart to build the amount they would need. Atleast not yet.
    Cranial Shift: Galaxies is now on Facebook. Mobile coming soon
    Upcoming Games: Duck Duck Boom(Mobile), Product 7(PS4 Hopefully), Hacker(Hololens Windows 10) (Names subject to change)

Yeah it won't be a buyout. At least not yet. I could see something in terms of a buyout come later but I think they would need to be a bit more established first.

I see the partnership having it's positives and negatives. It will certainly help Amazon, but it will probably also help OUYA get some attention through Amazon promotions, etc. It will be a bit of a bummer, not being able to walk into a best buy or gamestop to buy an OUYA though.

Who knows though. Perhaps there really is no partnership. I wonder if someone from OUYA can comment on this.

Ed
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

Could be an interesting partnership. Ouya has the technollogy and Amazon has a huge worldwide distribution network. We'll see.

I like that idea! I am not a fan of a second Kickstarter for upgraded hardware though... that would feel like a kick in the face for people who have already Kickstarted the current or expected release model.

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar

Well for now it's just rumour.

It could be good in a lot of ways, such as allowing Ouya to harness the marketing muscle of a big player like Amazon. It could also allow Ouya to get at the excellent customer database to make a truly kick ass store. It'd let Ouya get hold of all those credit cards, making it so much easier for people to pay (as they already have an Amazon account with linked credit card)

The downside would be how it affects the open nature of the console and nascent community building around it. You almost certainly would no longer be able to casually use the Ouya name for the sort of things the community is doing at the moment, such as meetups or round-table video discussions. There might also be a desire on Amazon's part to bring in a big game and/or big publisher to provide a "killer app", at which point you'd be able to kiss any indie cred goodbye. Finally, they might insist on a more closed store / a submissions process that isn't open to everyone

__

I think far more likely, Ouya are negotiating with various retailers (online and physical) to get the Ouya sold through their stores. That is probably where the name Amazon got floated in connection to Ouya, and a few Chinese whispers later, we have Amazon lining up to buy out Ouya

From a commercial perspective, if Ouya sold out now, they would have almost certainly failed to achieve their aim of blowing open the console market, except in the sense of spooking enough big players to make rivals (Nvidia, PlayJam, Piston(?)). However, if someone comes along with silly money, can't really blame them for taking a massive ROI
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Seems like a big Oxymoron to me!

We have OUYA which is as free and open as your can get for gaming, and Amazon who is obsessive about DRM being a part of everything.

Would certainly make for a very interesting relationship, I would say.

Heh, while I'm betting Amazon will get an initial exclusive sale deal (time based, similar to how Skyrim DLC worked on Xbox 360), I highly doubt Amazon would purchase OUYA. As a developer, I would cancel any plans to release on an Amazon owned platform.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerPeBod View Post
    Seems like a big Oxymoron to me!

We have OUYA which is as free and open as your can get for gaming, and Amazon who is obsessive about DRM being a part of everything.

Would certainly make for a very interesting relationship, I would say.
    I would be a sad, sad panda if Amazon DRM started infiltrating my Ouya.

Quote Originally Posted by Korhal View Post
    I would be a sad, sad panda if Amazon DRM started infiltrating my Ouya.
    I think there's a very big reason the Nexus7 is a much better device than any Kindle and that's the openness of it all.