Close
Advertise Here

MonoGame coming to OUYA

MonoGame, the cross-platform open source XNA compatible framework, is currently being updated to provide support for OUYA. Based on the existing support for the Android platform, the aim is to provide C# bindings for the ODK and also a project template to easily create a new OUYA Game project that will appear in the OUYA Launcher.

This will allow XNA developers to easily bring their games to OUYA alongside Android, iOS, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Windows (Open GL), Mac OS X and Linux, with support for PlayStation Mobile in progress and Windows DirectX 11 coming soon.

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar
    Interesting with the windows 8 stuff, as I heard MS dropped XNA support with windows 8 (presumably as they're moving to a whole new architecture with windows 8, surface, and I guess with the xbox 720)
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Quote Originally Posted by James Andrew Coote View Post
    Interesting with the windows 8 stuff, as I heard MS dropped XNA support with windows 8 (presumably as they're moving to a whole new architecture with windows 8, surface, and I guess with the xbox 720)
    Where MS left off, we picked up. There are already many games on the Windows Store built with MonoGame, and Microsoft have actually been promoting MonoGame as a game development framework for devs to use on Windows 8.

Good to hear. I thought it was weird how MS spent so much time working on XNA then decided to drop it, are they working on a new framework or is XNA still the best way to build an Xbox game?

Glad you guys are continuing the good work
    Follow me on Twitter! - @Sam_Jessop

The first version of the C# bindings for the ODK is now available.
    https://github.com/slygamer/ouya-csharp

Has some transforms to make it more C# friendly, but there is still a lot to go.

See here for photos of MonoGame running on the OUYA.

We now have a Visual Studio project template, so it's a 1-step process to get a ready-to-run MonoGame project that integrates with the OUYA Launcher.
    Available in MonoGame's GitHub repo
    https://github.com/mono/MonoGame