Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Robert Broglia emulators coming to Ouya!

Yesterday I asked Robert Broglia about if take his emulators on OUYA. Robert has emulators like MD.emu, GBA.emu, Neo.emu, NES.emu, 2600.emu, and more, on Android. He responded via Twitter:

I: your emulators coming to Ouya?
    Robert: Yes, I'll look into Ouya support once the dev tools are released.

https://twitter.com/rakashazi/status/284528726975340545

Very very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by David Cot Ca˝igueral View Post
    Yesterday I asked Robert Broglia about if take his emulators on OUYA. Robert has emulators like MD.emu, GBA.emu, Neo.emu, NES.emu, 2600.emu, and more, on Android. He responded via Twitter:

I: your emulators coming to Ouya?
    Robert: Yes, I'll look into Ouya support once the dev tools are released.

https://twitter.com/rakashazi/status/284528726975340545

Very very interesting
    That's awesome.. I've bought some of these on Android Market already. Hopefully we wont have to buy them again. I guess it all depends on how they are developed.

Quote Originally Posted by ja3hawk View Post
    That's awesome.. I've bought some of these on Android Market already. Hopefully we wont have to buy them again. I guess it all depends on how they are developed.
    Quick question. Why would you mind paying for the emulators again? If you didn't enjoy the emulators then I'd understand why you wouldn't want to pay again but it's not a free port to OUYA. He's going to have to come up with a strategy as the android market isn't available on the OUYA.

Also the ODK code doesn't write itself.

Codlab also tweeted us saying

codlab ‏@codlab
    @OUYAForum_com i'll also port gb/gba one on the ouya as soon as i can get the ODK but quite exensive x)
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

He said he would look at porting them, it doesn't mean that they absolutely are...

It's worth noting that there aren't enough buttons on the controller to do much emulation. NES would work well enough. SNES could be done, but start and select would have to be bound to two of the four L/R buttons. I don't know if PSX and N64 emulation are even possible with Ouya's controller. Not enough buttons.

You could surely bind some buttons to the touchpad? ie Left half for start, Right half for select?

Quote Originally Posted by kethinov View Post
    It's worth noting that there aren't enough buttons on the controller to do much emulation. NES would work well enough. SNES could be done, but start and select would have to be bound to two of the four L/R buttons. I don't know if PSX and N64 emulation are even possible with Ouya's controller. Not enough buttons.
    You can bind up, down, left and right on one of the analog sticks to work as 4 extra buttons. Also, both analog sticks has a button if you press them.
    Last edited by Paladia; 12-30-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Sure, those bindings will... work. But it'll be a grossly inferior experience to the original platforms' native controller.

I am not sure we'll get a user experience comparable to real PSX or N64 (or even SNES) until we start seeing alternative controllers available for Ouya that have more buttons. We need something like a Gravis Gamepad Pro for PSX/SNES and most likely a real N64 controller rigged to Ouya somehow to do N64.

Personally I would use the touchpad as the C-pad by dividing it into four quadrants (like I did for the Xperia Play port of my emulator). This is superior to using the analog stick, because it avoids the problem of hitting diagonals resulting in unintentional 2 button presses, and makes it so opposites can be pressed simultaneously (not that that was ever needed for any N64 games AFAIK - maybe for combo codes or something but certainly rare). That said, the OUYA does have a USB port so N64 and other controllers can be easily adapted to USB and connected to the OUYA, and bluetooth is also an option. I'm also personally working on a project to hack a N64 controller so that it appears to be a native OUYA controller to the console. If I'm successful, I'll also post the specs for that so others can copy it.