Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

1 members found this post helpful.

Response from OUYA on External Storage

The biggest issue I have with OUYA is their promise for external support and just avoiding the question when now asked about it. I decided to call them out with a letter on facebook and see if anything would happen.

My post:
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, I love the OUYA and what it represents. I just feel like I'm being punished for some reason. Let me explain:

When I first got the OUYA I heard of it's external HD capability and quickly went out and bought two flashdrives just so I could play a lot of games. After setting up the system I bought a bunch of games, even if I didn't like them that much to support the developers and OUYA.

Now I am out of space and great games keep coming out. I face a hard decision everytime a game comes out -- do I delete a game I haven't finished and lose my save data to try this new game I might not like? I recently had to delete my Sonic games to buy Zombie Driver. I want to try Sine Mora but because of the filesize and no games I want to delete, I cannot buy it.

As more great games come out (Killing Floor showcasing a demo at PAX!) with larger file sizes, I'm left in the dark. Because I'm in the (probably) 1% who has spent $75+ on OUYA games, I can no longer purchase anymore, ever.

You know what I'm getting at, where is the external storage capability? I know Julie announced "Soon" but for players like me, "Soon" hasn't been soon enough. I have money in my pocket that I want to use to purchase games on your console but right now it is impossible.

Please fix this, I love this console.

Sincerely,
    A fan.
    Here is their reply: Hi Daniel,

We do understand your position and believe me, we are hard at work on this... it is definitely one of the top priorities, but we are still working on the best way to implement the feature. Currently, the developers of the games will need to program external installation into their games so the best usage as is would be for emulators etc. I do apologize that we do not have anything more concrete for you at this time but please know we are working on a solution.

Best,

- Chris
    OUYA

Kinda depressing for me, so now it's up the game devs to add in external support? My flashdrives are only good for emulators? Sigh. Maybe I'm just overreacting. Know its farfetched but was hoping my post would force them to give SOME sort of answer.

EDIT: Guess the mods decided it did warrant it's own topic hehe...this was originally in the update thread.
    Last edited by Killswitch; 08-27-2013 at 03:00 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
    It's probably something to do with the way Android handles external sources.
    In a word, poorly. It's just plain not possible to install Android apps on external drives.
    OK, "yes" you "can" install on external drives...but it's not a "real"/normal install...there's always part of the app on the internal drive.
    I wish OUYA all the best in finding a work-around, but I think it will mostly fall to devs as the OUYA dash seems like more of a re-skin of Android than an Android-based OS.

Others like Wraith have been working on a possible solution but seems like they run into the same brick wall. Maybe Ouya needs to call on some of the guys who have been working on it and brainstorm. But that means they actually have to communicate......

Have a lot of talented people here who might be able to at least help.
    OUYAForum Rules | OUYAForum Contests | OUYA Game Sales
    Killswitch Interviews | IamKillswitch.com | PorkpiePlatypus.com
    Astra Etherium: Adventures of a Space Bounty Hunter in Space

Could the issue have anything to do with protecting content? I know it's possible to copy anything off of the flash already (it's not easy, don't ask how) but if it was all on a flash drive you could hook it up to your computer and do whatever you want with it.

To me xAD it would be acceptable to have a few meg stored onto my console to enable storing the rest on a flashdrive/external. As I understand it, this is how Bard's Tale handles their download and will be buying that game for the sole purpose of supporting that concept (also I love RPGS!).

I just don't think it should fall to the game developers to do this, OUYA promised it. They need to find a way where when you hit "download" it pops up and asks whether you want to store internally or externally and boom! done. I know this is way easier said than done but even if just the majority of the file was held externally, this would allow users to store and buy way more games on the OUYA.

This is exactly why I wish they went with Ubuntu (like the open Pandora) or other OS instead of android, using android sounds great at first until you look at its limitations, it just doesn't make sense, half of what many games use run into these limitations in some way or another.

5 members found this post helpful.
    I've already fixed the storage issues internally and externally about six different ways including having /data and /sdcard on an external drive. All the ways work great up until the point you reboot because the launcher loads before the external drive is mounted. Therefore it no longer sees your games in /data/app even though you have your drive mounted. When you go to start a game, the icon goes bye bye because the system doesn't see the game installed anymore. Right now I wrote a nifty script that runs on system initialization and mounts your external and moves all your apps to external storage. It then makes a backup of your saved games, apps, and other settings. The issue now is it looks like its plagued by the same issue. So now I have no choice except to tear into the OUYA boot image, separating the ramdisk and the kernel...building my changes into the ramdisk and then repacking the boot image back into a flashable rom.

OUYA....this is why we cant have nice things. There is no physical SD for app2sd to work.
    # create virtual SD card at /storage/sdcard0, based on the /data/media directory
    # deamon will drop to user/group system/media_rw after initializing
    # underlying files in /data/media wil be created with user and group media_rw (1023)
    service sdcard /system/bin/sdcard /data/media 1023 1023
    class late_start
    And this crap too.

# Mount usb drives as /usbdrive. Generally usb drives are formatted with FAT
    # filesystem, so we support FAT as of now.
    on device-added-/sys/block/sda
    mount vfat /dev/block/sda /mnt/usbdrive

I can fix all this. But it will be a new rom branch.
    OUYA
    - Stock (Rooted)
    - 40+ games installed (16 Purchased).
    - Enjoying YouTube and Show Box
    - 500 GB WD Passport External
    - NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, N64, Playstation, Dreamcast
    - Movies & TV shows through XBMC
    - Onlive (modified for controller)
    - Moga Pro Controller
    - [RIP] 06/25/13 to 07/27/14 - OUYA Controller died of natural causes.

just buy another OUYA, lol I have 2 OUYA's so twice the space

Re: Response from OUYA on External Storage

The real fix is a model with more memory. They have painted themselves in a corner and their CEO grossly mislead customers about it being "soon". The reply above bares this out.

Yeah I mean that sounds great but honestly hate to say it I shouldn't have to buy two OUYAs. I bought the OUYA and invested money into it's games because of what it was. Not saying I'm not going to enjoy the console anymore but maybe I'll look forward to a future competitor's system instead?