Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Atabee (Atari ST Emulator) - absence

Atabee is a free Atari ST(E) Emulator for OUYA. Its a direct port of the highly accurate Hatari emulator (http://hatari.tuxfamily.org).
    It's meant for emulating an ST with RGB monitor (monochrome works too, it's just not preconfigured). Mainly preconfigured to view demos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_demos). Games work too, but the Gamepad configuration might have to be tweaked on some games. And of course it supports OUYAs Touchpad.

A public domain example-demo-disk and Emutos (a GPL ST BIOS ROM) are included right out of the box, so you can start the emulator right away. Just put a few more .ST or .MSA disks in your /sdcard/hatari/ folder to add more nostalgia.

Some screens:

Have fun revisiting the old ST days!

So awesome to see this -- thanks!! The demo worked smooth, but there is one major problem and I'm not sure if it's the program or on my end. Any option off the Gray Hatari menu takes like 30 seconds before it registers input, so it's kind of near impossible to deal with at this state. Looking forward to a fix as this is going to be one helluva an emulator. The Atari ST had tons of great software/games.

Also: I somehow got a white menu that popped up and can't figure out how to get it back. It looks like initial settings? That menu had no problems (I just can no longer access it).
    Last edited by JCat; 07-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCat View Post
    So awesome to see this -- thanks!! The demo worked smooth, but there is one major problem and I'm not sure if it's the program or on my end. Any option off menu you choose can take up to 30 seconds before it reacts.
    I would opt for the program, its a quick port after all. I just noticed a lag sometimes occuring when opening the experimental keyboard - where exactly do you see yours? In the in-emulator menu (the gray box)? Do only the mouse-clicks lag or also the button U and the triggers? There might be some redraw issue.

Thanks for your feedback!
    -------------

Also: I somehow got a white menu that popped up and can't figure out how to get it back. It looks like initial settings? That menu had no problems (I just can no longer access it).
    The white menu is accessible during the controller layout image (the orange button at the top labeled "Change device configuration). Its only accessible for 3 secounds though, then the emulator autostarts - these settings are rarely used. Just press O at startup, while the controller layout shows.
    Last edited by Hydrus; 07-17-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Merged your posts.

This is the internal gray box menu. The mouse cursor moves fine; it's the mouse click that's the problem. You have to double tap to choose an option, and it takes anywhere from 10-30 seconds to respond.

Thats definitely the program, not your setup. I suspect its the redraw of the menu. Does the U button (normally mapped to back in the menu) lag, too? Did you enter the keyboard (icon on top left of the screen) before? Did you exit Atabee via "quit" in the menu or by double tapping the system button?

Unfortunately its all fine and dandy here, so thanks alot for your input.

So, coming from someone who has not played this platform, what are some of the system's best games?
    gunhed - ouya profile
    YsWanderer - XBL profile

Dungeon Master, Time Bandits, Sundog: The Frozen Legacy, Oids, Captain Blood, Elite, Star Glider, Xenon, SpeedBall 2, Gods, Rainbow Islands, Ultima V, Startust, Lotus Espirot Turbo, Typhoon Thompson, Bubble Bobble, Buggy Boy, Gauntlet II, Star Raiders.... to name a few.

----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by atabee View Post
    Thats definitely the program, not your setup. I suspect its the redraw of the menu. Does the U button (normally mapped to back in the menu) lag, too? Did you enter the keyboard (icon on top left of the screen) before? Did you exit Atabee via "quit" in the menu or by double tapping the system button?

Unfortunately its all fine and dandy here, so thanks alot for your input.
    Selecting the keyboard -via double tapping ouya touchpad resulted in long wait before it popped up (like the others). U Button doesn't seem to do anything except exits the program upon a double press -- doesn't always work the first time, so laggy there, but nothing like the menu selection in-game.
    Last edited by Hydrus; 07-17-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Merged your posts.

This thread has a nice list:
    http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14766

I might add
    -Lethal Xcess (technically great + nice gameplay)
    -Enchanted Land (for techical achievement on a system without hardware scrolling)
    -Substation (basicly Wolfenstein on an ST, much earlier than http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=17247)
    -Zero 5 (STE)
    -Warp (although light on gameplay)

Vs: Atabee (Atari ST Emulator) - absence

Quote Originally Posted by gunhed View Post
    So, coming from someone who has not played this platform, what are some of the system's best games?
    Had 1024 STF when I were teen. Some of my favorite game: Bubble Bobble, Gods, Magic Pockets, Speed Ball2, Elite, Dungeon Master, Double Dragon, IK+; Sensible Soccer, Kick Off, Civilization, Captive, Millenium 2.2, and many others. Its game library is pretty large.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited by shaminy; 07-17-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Did you change the disk?

U Button doesn't seem to do anything except exits the program upon a double press
    Nobody knows why on earth OUYA insisted on having two buttons marked with a "U"
    Thats the Home button (OUYAs wording, not mine) in the middle, I was referring to the U button on the top right of the controller (near O, Y, A). I suspect that lags as well (it should go back one menu-level).

-- doesn't always work the first time, so laggy there, but nothing like the menu selection in-game.
    Okay, thanks for the input, i have to try to reproduce this behaviour it seems. If you feel adventurous, you could restart your console. That could help, but well, hard to say at the moment. If it does help, please let me know.
    Oh - and sorry for the inconvenience!
    Last edited by atabee; 07-17-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Apology for bugs added :)