Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cube and Creature - Evgiz

I just published my game on the OUYA store!

The game is a skill based platformer, think super meat boy meets mario, or something along those lines.
    The description from the store:
    You are lost in space. A mysterious talking Cube is trying to connect with you. Can you trust it?

Push yours skills and reflexes to their limits in this skillbased platformer. A challenge lies around every corner, and new hazards are constantly blocking your path. Do you have what it takes to get to the end?
    Andrea Giachini has provided me with a couple awesome soundtracks, and you can listen to them here:
    http://andreagiachini.bandcamp.com/a...ure-ouyas-game

Would be very happy for any feedback!
    I made the OUYA exclusive games Cube and Creature and Hellworm!
    evgiz.net

I tried this out today, and was impressed with what I saw. This game really has that "one more try" factor that keeps you coming back for more.

I think there are two reasons for this - the first is that the controls are very responsive so it very rarely feels like the fault for dying lies anywhere other than with you, and the second is the instant restarts after dying remove any barrier to retrying when you die.

And you do die a lot! This means there's a real sense of accomplishment when you finally beat a level.

The difficulty curve in the levels I've played so far seems fairly well judged (although curiously I had a lot less trouble with the first level described in-game as difficult than the levels either side of it!)

I did struggle initially to perfect jumping away from a wall. In order to do this you have to jump onto a wall, hold the direction pad towards the wall, press fire to jump, then immediately switch directions on the d-pad. Most of the times where I have felt slightly cheated is when I've pushed away from the wall a fraction before pressing jump, only to plummet to certain doom. (Though this is always tempered by the fact that this timing is fully within my control, but it is challenging to pull off consistently, especially at first)

I really loved the graphic style and the music in the game - given how many times you end up retrying a level, it would be easy for the in-game music to out stay it's welcome, but this music works well as an ambient background piece, letting you focus on the gameplay.

I'd definitely recommend trying this game, and I'm looking forward to seeing what challenges await me on later levels.

Thanks for the in-depth feedback!

I did have a few issues with levelbalancing, partly because I played so much I became so good I couldnt really see which levels were harder. How far into the game did you get?

The jumping-against-wall-requires-hold-in-wrong-direction issue is known, but in the end I decided to leave it that way. It feels difficult at first, but you'll get used to it.

Im glad you like the controls and responsiveness of the game. I spent a stupid amount of time polishing that to the best I could make it.

Cheers, Evgiz
    I made the OUYA exclusive games Cube and Creature and Hellworm!
    evgiz.net

I'd made it just past the end of the demo when I wrote my comment above. The difficulty does jump quite a bit for the last level of the first chapter, and I haven't managed to beat it so far.

I'm playing it, really a good work
    It's hard but very playable
    If you don't try, you'll never know.

Its a very enjoyable game. I downloaded and played it for a few minutes this morning. I made sure to give it a thumbsup in the store.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for the feedback and thumbsups!

I wanted to make it very hard and challenging, but the game is hopefully still rewarding enough when you finally complete a level to keep pushing you forward.

Cheers

Cool game. Have you thought about adding 2 player functionality so both players have to finish the level to succeed? Also, I appreciate the non-Ouya controller support! I've added the game to my controller compatibility list. https://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...OX-Controllers

Controls are a bit clunky. Its like super meat boy which I love but its not close to the quality of SMB.

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

Evgiz: I just wanted to say that I finally managed to play Cub and Creature and I gotta say. This game is downright one of the funnest thing I've played on my OUYA. I'm currently stuck on level 11(The Pit) in the demo and will be purchasing the full game when I finish my list of games "To Buy" and have myself a buy-a-thon. The controls were a little weird at first but like you said, you get used to it and are able to jump off walls like a kid on a sugar high. And...

I also saw that you put my name in the credits like you said! I can't tell you how happy I am to actually make a difference, and even more to be in the credits of a awesome game! If you need any more help then I'll gladly be of assistance.

Thank You, Evgiz