Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

MD.emu (Sega Genesis / Mega Drive emulator) - Robert Broglia

This thread is for the discussion of MD.emu. (note to developer - send me a private message if you would like to edit this thread)

Advanced open-source Sega Genesis/Mega Drive emulator based on Genesis Plus.No ROMs are included with this app and must be supplied by the user. A number of public domain games/demos are available at www.pdroms.de. Load ROM files located on your internal or external USB storage using the in-app file browser (.smd, .md, .gen, .sms & .zip formats).

Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

would be nice to know on which core it is based since mega/sega cd is pretty buggy while genesis plus gx on the wii is nearly perfect.

This Rocks. I've played emulated version of the old EA Sports games on my PC, but playing them with the OUYA controller just feels right. Now if I could just get XBMC working properly, my kickstarted ouya would already have more than paid for itself!

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, here I come.

i hope the new version will be based on the just new released gensplus gx core 1.7.4

Awesome emulator! I have a question though. In the folder where I set my rom path, it shows 2 of every rom I have. There is a rom with the regular name, then a double of it with "._" infront of it ( ._game-name ). When I click the one with "._" in front of it, I just get an error. I have tried with .zip files and .md files and the same thing happens, it shows 2 files for every rom. This is a pain because I have to scroll through all the non-working doubles to get to the games that do work. Does anyone know how to hide the files with "._" in front of the name? Thanks!

EDIT: This happens on all of the ".emu" emulators that are in the Ouya shop.
    Last edited by oarman; 06-27-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Assuming you are using external storage, but if you connected the drive to a Mac and copied the files, it drops these duplicate files.

From http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...-i-avoid-them:
    You can't avoid them. They're created to store file information that would otherwise go into an extended attribute on HFS+ (Apple native) or Unix/UFS volumes; in earlier Mac OS this would be the resource fork. Finder file operations will create them automatically to store the icon information, plus Time Machine stores some information in them so if you copy a file backed up via TM it will have that information copied as well.
    My solution? Use BlueHarvest. It is a Mac Preference Pane that will auto remove these files ($14.95 license, worth it if you do a lot of cross-platform drive swapping).
    http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

I'm sure there's a cheap way to do it, but BlueHarvest just works, invisible in the background.

If you didn't do it on a Mac, then not sure! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by oarman View Post
    Awesome emulator! I have a question though. In the folder where I set my rom path, it shows 2 of every rom I have. There is a rom with the regular name, then a double of it with "._" infront of it ( ._game-name ). When I click the one with "._" in front of it, I just get an error. I have tried with .zip files and .md files and the same thing happens, it shows 2 files for every rom. This is a pain because I have to scroll through all the non-working doubles to get to the games that do work. Does anyone know how to hide the files with "._" in front of the name? Thanks!

EDIT: This happens on all of the ".emu" emulators that are in the Ouya shop.

Yep you are correct I copied the files to a USB stick off of my Mac computer. Thanks a lot for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat1986 View Post
    would be nice to know on which core it is based since mega/sega cd is pretty buggy while genesis plus gx on the wii is nearly perfect.
    MD.emu is based on an older version of Genesis Plus GX before it even included Game Gear and Mega CD emulation

Mega CD emulation in MD.emu was instead copypasted from Picodrive (which is itself a translation of Gens CD code in C) and adapted for Genesis Plus GX core but is indeed suffering from bugs, because 1) Gens/Picodrive code isn't that much accurate and compatible for CD games and 2) R.Broglia, despite being a very good coder, is not that much an emulation expert

MD.emu can NOT include latest Genesis Plus GX code because the license of Genesis Plus GX has changed and now adds a non-commercial clause which does not permit the code to be used in commercial projects.

The license was changed by original Genesis Plus author Charles MacDonald and GX version developper Eke-Eke after they noticed that their work was used against their will to raise money on Cydia and Android markets. Despite their multiple requests, R. Broglia refused to respect original authors wishes and make free version of his port, arguing that the old version he uses respects the initial GPL license, as it is obviously a very good business for him ^^

Hopefully, you can use Retroarch on Ouya, which is totally free and include up-to-date version of Genesis Plus GX core
    Last edited by cody; 06-28-2013 at 07:04 AM.

yeah, i'm using retroarch as well, but it's damn buggy on the ouya. crashes very often and doesn't have those really nice scanlines which makes the games look perfect.