Close
Advertise Here

Is OUYA The Console that Finally Closes the Sex Gap in Gaming?

Is OUYA The Console that Finally Closes the Sex Gap in Gaming?
    Eddie's Editorials: By Ed Krassenstein

Women and gaming; they are few and far between. Personally I only have known a very few females that have actually considered themselves gamers. Fact is, the majority of games out there today seem to target men. However, this seems like it could be on the verge of changing, because of a little console, called the OUYA. Coincidentally, the founder and CEO of OUYA, Julie Uhrman is a woman, a mother, and a gamer herself.

Over the past 6-7 months I have been viewing tweets and Facebook comments about the OUYA, almost on a daily basis. I have been amazed to see just how many people that have tweeted, and talked about the OUYA have been females. I have heard others comment on this as well.

OUYA is not a console you will be purchasing in order to play the latest blockbuster AAA titles. Sure it will have games that come pretty close, but the majority of titles will probably be games similar to those you are used to playing on your smartphone or tablet. These are games that are played mostly for their "fun factor" rather than graphic intensity and optimal sound.

How many females that you know have some sort of game installed on their smartphones and tablets? I would guess that the majority of them do. The OUYA is a concept that will convince these types of gamers, who are used to playing Angry Birds, Candy Crush Saga, and Temple Run to switch over to the big screen. This doesn't necessarily mean that these will be the only types of games on the OUYA. It does mean that it will bring a new and different type of gamer to the console though.

OUYA is a company that realizes that the point of playing games is for entertainment, and that the living room environment on a large screen TV is so much more entertaining than the small screen of an iPhone with no tangible controller.

Women seem to be flocking to the OUYA, moreso than any other console I have ever seen. OUYA could finally be the console that closes the sex gap in gaming. It could finally be the console that is meant for the entire family.

Are you a female that has purchased an OUYA or are considering the purchase of one? Do you know of females that have been showing a lot of interest in the OUYA? If so, please leave some thoughts here.

Ed
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

I don't personally know of anyone that's buying it. I'm probably the only one that's getting it here where I live.

Re: Is OUYA The Console that Finally Closes the Sex Gap in Gaming?

I've noticed that as well. There have been a few posts about how 'The OUYA made my girlfriend play games'. I think it's partly because there isn't an omnipresent meta-war associated with which side your on, or that there aren't any a**holes who'll ruin an online experience, and that the majority of these games aren't 16 button visual overloads that kind of require a preternatural skill with controllers that people who don't play games as often don't have. I love that about the OUYA. It's refreshing. 

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmapleybrittle View Post
    I've noticed that as well. There have been a few posts about how 'The OUYA made my girlfriend play games'. I think it's partly because there isn't an omnipresent meta-war associated with which side your on, or that there aren't any a**holes who'll ruin an online experience, and that the majority of these games aren't 16 button visual overloads that kind of require a preternatural skill with controllers that people who don't play games as often don't have. I love that about the OUYA. It's refreshing. 
    Ha-ha. Refresh the page before making a comment myself and didn't have too. I'll just give random trivia in this case...

Did you know that Wario's fan-base from the Super Mario Bros. intellectual property is composed of women by 72%?
    Last edited by RiotingSpectre; 06-06-2013 at 04:47 PM.

I was showing off my animal crossing game for the ds to my mom one day and you would think I was showing her a whole new world next i know she has a ds the game and she has played it every day since (for about 6 years!). what I am getting at is casual games and games that are of a puzzle nature are sometimes more appealing than AAA games for the reason that casual gamers don't feel overwhelmed by being dropped into a city the size of new york and be expected to navigate and know what to do. What Ed says may have some merit to it but I have to say that this console still hasn't reached the general public's knowledge. No body and I mean no body knows about it outside of those who followed the kickstarter campaign. So if women are going to get into this console it will be due to those who know of the product already and can "sell" it to them convincing them this is something they would be interested in.