Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

OUYA Controller accuracy problems

UPDATE: I have been informed that the newer controllers that are now shipping have a "Fix" for this issue integrated into them. ... Eddie K (admin)

There is a disturbing test of the OUYA controller on the official forum: http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/com...#Comment_11439
    Could someone with OUYA do the test and compare the results?

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

This is disturbing news.

Re: Controller accuracy

Looks pretty bad. Not seen anything that weird since quantum mechanics class at uni...

Thank god we can use ps3/xbox controllers!

Ouya

Xbox

(Pics taken from ouya.tv forum)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by deadpool_merc; 05-10-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Banned

Wow it only gets worse and worse. To think I was making fun of my friends for buying those cheaply made Android sticks and they might turn out to be better built than OUYA. I'm going to be walking with my head down for a while

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

This could potentially be a side effect of the glue seeping in. Even if it isn't, it's potentially game breaking. Games these days are more demanding than they were only a few years ago and we need precise controls or we're fucked. I'm for one not buying a $50 controller if it's just a modern day Intellevision controller. There's no excuse for this and needs to be fixed.

Stupid shitheads.

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar

I'm going to guess this is a software / firmware problem. I initially thought OUYA were doing this on purpose (i.e. snapping to the axes to make it easier for games that just have up/down and left/right movement rather than full range of movement). But seems it's something deeper than that

Quote Originally Posted by RiotingSpectre View Post
    This could potentially be a side effect of the glue seeping in. Even if it isn't, it's potentially game breaking. Games these days are more demanding than they were only a few years ago and we need precise controls or we're fucked. I'm for one not buying a $50 controller if it's just a modern day Intellevision controller. There's no excuse for this and needs to be fixed.

Stupid shitheads.
    Nothing to do with glue. Trust me, leaky glue doesn't do precision maths. Also shows up on my devkit controller, which has no problem with the freedom of movement of the actual stick (the stick ain't sticky! )
    Last edited by DrunkPunk; 07-09-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Merged posts.
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

This could potentially be a side effect of the glue seeping in.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Andrew Coote View Post
    Nothing to do with glue. Trust me, leaky glue doesn't do precision maths. Also shows up on my devkit controller, which has no problem with the freedom of movement of the actual stick (the stick ain't sticky! )

Yeah, that's what I thought. Judging by the plots, it almost looks as though it was designed that way. Money saving maybe? Certainly not caused by glue. That would be some precision gluing!

So this is... good news? If it's not a buggy firmware then it's most likely a hardware problem in the controls. Let the recalls commence!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
    Judging by the plots, it almost looks as though it was designed that way.
    You know, people say that I'm a very crazy woman but I seriously think it's just a low threshold for stupidity. Not calling you stupid of course, but what purpose other than saving a penny a controller would they have for this? I suppose that WOULD be some awesome gluing powers but I find it harder to believe that it was intentional as-is. I think it might just be a shitty controller.
    Last edited by RiotingSpectre; 05-10-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar

So this is... good news? If it's not a buggy firmware then it's most likely a hardware problem in the controls. Let the recalls commence!
    No way to tell without official word from OUYA. Could be anything from a poorly designed circuit board under the stick itself, to a bug in the way the data is being returned by the controller API, to anything in-between. Chances are it's a software/firmware thing though
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

No way to tell without official word from OUYA.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Urman
    Turns out it was *insert problem here*. It has been solved and progress has resumed and is going smoothly. So stay tuned for the OUYA launch in December 2023!