Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OUYA Tidbits: #7 - Recap of the OUYA Reddit AMA

OUYA Tidbits #6 (A Reddit AMA Edition) - By Ed Krassenstein

Here is a brief recap of what I found to be interesting from today's Reddit AMA with OUYA CEO Julie Uhrman, as well as Kellee Santiago and Bob Mills:

- OUYA is not shipping to the West Coast first, like some reports have said. (Julie assumes that perhaps more people on the west coast ordered OUYAs)
    - "To date we have announced: TwitchTV, Vevo, iheartradio TuneIn, Flixster, Crunchyroll, XBMC, and Plex...more coming in daily, literally. I have a Kellee Santiago for non-games too . OUYA can be your everything box."
    - OUYA would like to do a couple more OUYA Game Jams before the end of the year.
    - OUYA will not have 1st party games (games developed by OUYA)
    - OUYA pre-orders will be received before retail. They haven't even begun making the retail units yet, and won't until all kickstarter and pre-orders are complete.
    - Towerfall by Matt Thorson will be coming to OUYA in June.
    - OUYA is working closely with OnLive to bring it to the console. There is mutual interest to make it happen.
    - One other interesting point was, when someone asked "What gaming companies were the earliest to support the OUYA in terms of porting existing + future games?
    The answer was: "A bunch! Off the top of my head, Square Enix, Tribute, Mighty Rabbit, Handy Games, Bossa Studios, Tripwire Interactive, Orange Pixel, Kittehface, Juicy Beast, Goodhustle, Fun-Machine, Jujubee, Farsight Studios, Mountain Sheep ... I could keep going. These devs have been a blast to work with. "
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

I can't believe she admitted that they haven't started making retail units yet. There's NO way they're making the June 4th launch.

P.S. In case you were curious, you were Kickstarter backer number 616 for OUYA. Thank you for believing.

Standard edition + 1 extra controller
    Beaverton, OR
    Pre-shipping email received 2013-05-23

Quote Originally Posted by AchillesPDX View Post
    I can't believe she admitted that they haven't started making retail units yet. There's NO way they're making the June 4th launch.
    Preoders like mine will be shipped. This is good for ME.

Retail from 4 june... hmmmm... I think they'll wait for the end of the summer XD

Quote Originally Posted by AchillesPDX View Post
    That does concern me too. I can only trust them, that they know what they're doing but they sure draw the line close.

Quote Originally Posted by mikes_phone_and_tab View Post
    That does concern me too. I can only trust them, that they know what they're doing but they sure draw the line close.
    Wait, why, exactly, would you trust them? What reason do you have, and what evidence have they given, that they are able to deliver things in a timely manner?

I call BS on not shipping to the West Coast first. If 50% of units have shipped, I know a lot of early kickstarter people in the Midwest/East Coast who should have received their units by now.

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akbarbitcoins View Post
    Wait, why, exactly, would you trust them? What reason do you have, and what evidence have they given, that they are able to deliver things in a timely manner?
    They delivered my devkit in a timely manner, plus have taken on a lot of the feedback I and others have given them and done lots of other helpful things. It's a shame others have not had the same positive experience with OUYA as I've had, but it should help you understand why I'm so supportive of them (in return)

Edit: Anyway, we didn't really learn anything new here, though it was nice to get some direct response / interaction from them, even if just to reassure and repeat things they've said in the past.
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar
    Who the hell asked all these shitty questions? Line them up, tie em' together, and surgically connect them so I can put my foot up the last one's ass and make them realize how foolish they were while they walk like some sort of freakish mutant to the nearest lake to drown themselves in. For the love of God, why?

On the whole production and June fourth thing. I see them pushing the release date back at least three weeks but as long as I eventually get one. I'll be happy. I see it as the Ouya can only get better with time, so by the time we get our delayed units. It will be a force to be reckoned with.

Good thing the delayed it and get the issues fixed. I thought the Ives Behar guy is going to do magic with the controller but it sucked.

OUYAForum Devotee Victor Coleiro's Avatar
    For me the biggest things Julie said were:

1) "Already fixed! The sticky directional stick was a result of some glue seeping out during manufacturing -- found it and fixed immediately.
    Buttons, that was interesting. Didn't realize it until you told us about that -- great to have a preview period. We went about increasing the size of the opening for the buttons so no more sticking under the faceplates.
    We also started shipping faceplates with tape so they don't fall off during transit.
    This is exactly why we had the preview period -- to learn what we didn't know and continue to make OUYA better. Same improvements are happening on the software side. We're polishing, cleaning up bugs, and improving our performance/speed. June is looking great!"

2) "we have over 100 games, over 12,000 developers and more of each coming in each day. We are seeing every type of genre and gameplay that we know and love plus so super fun ones from new developers -- what I love today Polarity, Dub Wars, No Brakes Valet, Knightmare Tower....super fun...
    Developers -- exclusive games!!!! Kim Swift, Tripwire, Double Fine....
    Powerful and beautiful console -- just wait until you pick up your controller!"

3) "We will in retail in the US, Canada, and UK for launch -- specifically BestBuy, Gamestop, Game, and Target. Online at Amazon and OUYA.tv"