Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OUYA Has Beaten Apple to the Punch - Is a Google Acquisition Possible?

OUYA Has Beaten Apple to the Punch - Is a Google Acquisition Possible?
    Eddie's Editorials #7 - By Ed Krassenstein

For years now, we have been hearing rumors of a potential Apple game console. Even though nothing has ever been confirmed by Apple, it is pretty obvious that a game system would be an obvious next step in their quest for world dominance. Games on iOS have really become popular over the years, first originating on the iPod Touch, then the iPhone, and more recently moving over to the iPad. Apple has proven that gaming on mobile devices is in demand, which brings up the question of 'why not add in a gaming controller to the purchase of Apple TV boxes (and soon to be Television sets) and allow gaming on the big screen?' That's the question I'm sure Apple has been pondering for a couple years now, and may even have an answer to later this year.

Google with their Android operating system has been a virtual mirror to iOS over the years, with the exception of being more open, and according to some, "less user friendly". Apple released the iPhone, and Google responded by partnering with phone manufacturers to create Android smartphones that at least compete on an even field with the iPhone. Then Apple introduced the iPad, which many people thought would be a complete failure. Google responded by modifying their Android smartphone OS to work on tablets, and then reaching partnership deals with tablet manufacturers to bring Android tablets to market.

Now, it is very feasible to believe that gaming is next. Both iOS & Android can easily support it, and adding in a gaming controller only takes a few minor tweak on the part of the game developers. Why wouldn't Google & Apple want to monetize gaming on the big screen? I certainly can't think of one single reason.

OUYA, a game console that runs off of a modified version of Google's Android operating system is here. It will be available to purchase in retail outlets sometime in June (June 4th is the current release date, but I expect it will be delayed by a week or so). Game developers who have already created games for Android smartphones and tablets have been raving about how simple it is to bring those games over to the OUYA console. There are already over 630 games confirmed to be coming to the OUYA, and I am sure probably just as many that have not yet been confirmed. On top of this, there are close to 130 apps/games available in the OUYA store at this moment, with plenty more expected before the official release in June.

To me it seems as though OUYA has beaten both Apple and Google to market with their mobile OS gaming system. However, Apple should have no problem bringing a new game system to market. They have plenty of fan boys that will easily jump on the Apple gaming bandwagon.

Apple doesn't need to release a game console, what they need to do is simply put the technology into Apple TV boxes, as well as the upcoming Apple TVs. Heck, they could even put it in their tablets. Apple TV devices would simply be able to run games designed for it, that allow for a bluetooth enabled game controller. This is what I think we will hear about soon; perhaps in the coming months.

As for Google, they could follow in Apple's footsteps, like they are used to doing, or they could jump ahead of Apple by acquiring OUYA. OUYA has already done the work for them, and already has a large library of games on the way, as well as their own version of fan boys. They would be foolish not to throw Julie Uhrman and company several hundred million dollars, out of the hoards of cash they possess, to add the OUYA technology to their portfolio. Google could allow the OUYA team to continue their work on the hardware, with Google doing all the marketing work, and reaping all the profits. It would make sense from just about every perspective. OUYA could be built into Google TV's, set-top boxes, etc.

If I had to make a guess where mobile gaming will end up in the next 5 years, I see Apple creating their own gaming ecosystem, with Google acquiring OUYA. It's just what makes the most sense to me. Could the near future bring us new competition between the Google OUYA vs. the Apple iPlay? I believe it is very possible. What are your thoughts?

Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

Not sure I'd want to see OUYA just swallowed up by Google, but if they did or they lent OUYA some support, I'd love to have the Play Store on there for watching Movies and streaming my Music.
    Backer #51218 Order #5120

It is better to have gamed and lost, than to never game at all!

Considering the recent recruitments at Google and "game center" style API leaks I'm pretty certain they won't be buying Ouya any time soon.

To be honest, Im not even sure what Ouya offers that Google would want/need anyway. Theres no "Ouya Technology" to add to the Google portfolio.

Honestly, I would be glad if OUYA was bought by Google for completely selfish reasons - I wouldn't have to buy games twice on Google Play and in OUYA Store. Google might want OUYA not because of technology but because of the userbase and fame. Releasing their own console instead would be a dick move and would probably kill OUYA's business in one second.

there is a reason apple have not yet realesed a game cosole, apple never want to be second, so if they cant be first, they just wont realese anything even tho there is money to be made, so there is little chance of apple releasing a game console anytime soon, hell i even think the itv thing they are working on wont be out out for atleast a few years yet, u might see the iwatch this year tho. the the ouya really has good chance of finding a place in the market but its all about what games they can get on the ouya.

Quote Originally Posted by AdyCarter View Post
    Considering the recent recruitments at Google and "game center" style API leaks I'm pretty certain they won't be buying Ouya any time soon.

To be honest, Im not even sure what Ouya offers that Google would want/need anyway. Theres no "Ouya Technology" to add to the Google portfolio.
    Yes, this sounds more like Ouya soliciting Google and I don't get why they would bother. As a KS backer it would be great, but I just can't imagine why they wouldn't just do the hardware themselves, they already have the partners to get it done and no one is likely to outdo Google software wise with Android's own devs.

Quote Originally Posted by razblade77 View Post
    there is a reason apple have not yet realesed a game cosole, apple never want to be second, so if they cant be first, they just wont realese anything even tho there is money to be made, so there is little chance of apple releasing a game console anytime soon, hell i even think the itv thing they are working on wont be out out for atleast a few years yet, u might see the iwatch this year tho. the the ouya really has good chance of finding a place in the market but its all about what games they can get on the ouya.
    Apple wasn't first to market with a smartphone or a tablet...

I'm not all that convinced that Apple is even interested in doing this. Does OUYA really have a significant market? All my friends say the same thing - they don't want to play mobile games on a TV, so they don't see the point of the OUYA. If they are playing on a TV they will play their Xbox or whatever, and play their mobile games on their iPads and iPhones. I think OUYA's success is still definitely up in the air. They got lots of kickstarter support, but beyond that? Will they have retail success? I don't know. We shall see.

A Google acquisition would be a dream come true. I read the gaming api they were working on would include multiplayer matching and achievements just like the one Ouya said they would add at the end of the year. Google Ouya sounds like baby gibberish though.
    Can't Wait 4: Dungeon Lord by Bovine Software. Order & Chaos Online name: Wicket and Larus

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar
    Little known fact: There has been a Google TV on the market for over a year.

The real answer is that actually, both Google TV and Apple TV are not really going after the gaming market. They want to disrupt the TV/film industry, but the US networks understand that they must avoid another iTunes, where a 3rd party middleman comes between record companies (content publishers) and direct contact with the consumers. So they are being incredibly protective over their intellectual property. On a Google TV, you cannot access any part of the TV broadcast stream/video. You can only ever overlay your own content on top of the incoming TV channel, or play videos of your own.

For example, imagine an app that does facial recognition, so you can track which actors are in a scene and have that information displayed over the top of the film. No! Can't have that! Too big a risk someone could just get hold of the data on screen and pirate it!

This is why both Apple TV and Google TV exist, but are not in any way marketed or promoted. They are there so that when one of the networks finally caves in and signs a deal, they can ramp up production, marketing blitz it and already have reliable underlying technology they know works
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover