Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Day The Clown Cried: #2 - The Sounds of Silence.

The Sounds of Silence

The Timeline

March 28th must've been quite the day at Ouya Headquarters. Dinner. Champagne. Speeches. Plenty of Ouya cheerleaders were present: android-friendly bloggers and news-types, developers, and high-profile Kickstarter backers in the 10,000 dollar range. I however, like most of us sitting on the wait list, will remember March 28th as something different: the day the clock started ticking. Since March 28th, I've waited for my Gmail to light up with notification from Ouya Inc., alerting me to the impending estimated shipping arrival of my console. It is now April 15th and I'm still waiting. Indeed, most people are waiting.

In the last 18 days, Ouya has been very tight-lipped. Their first response placed shipping blame on the time-honored Chinese holiday of Easter when they released a statement on April 5 relaying the following:

"OUYA is shipping! I know you are anxious to play and probably want to know when to expect yours. Here’s the plan:

We began shipping last week, 3/27 in fact. We had two days of manufacturing and then we had to stop for Easter. This week, we got 3 days of work and then had to stop for the Qingming Festival. I know this sucks but we will be picking up the pace.

Starting next week, we will be building and shipping units 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Also, we are bringing on new vendors to help us deliver faster. However, we will not sacrifice quality for speed.

The rollout will be as follows: We are starting with the standard OUYA unit (grey console+controller), then working on the Kickstarter exclusive units and units with more than one controller.

Also, every Friday, on our blog (www.ouya.tv/blog), we will update you on our progess [sic] and plan. As of today, we plan on making our final delivery in May. In fact, until now we were sending shipping alerts only when your shipment left the assembly line. Because you asked for it, we will now send out pre-shipping alerts a week before to let you know your order is queued up."
    Essentially, as backers, we should write off the days between March 28th and April 7th because starting April 8th, shit will start getting real. Ouyas will be flying off the production line so fast, they'll make your head spin. So don't worry about a thing! Interestingly, during the Qingming Festival, the official Ouya Twitter feed released this statement April 2nd: "Stay positive! We're ramping up development and sending out more @playouya shipments each day!"

Another week went by of silence leading up to April 12th when Ouya released a blog highlighting their shipping plans.

"Last week, I promised a weekly update to our early backers providing greater transparency into the progress of OUYA shipments to all of you who have supported us since the beginning."
    This 5̶t̶h̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶j̶e̶c̶t̶ graph was included:

I believe the word they were looking for was "ambiguity" instead of "transparency" because I think most people were far more confused after this blog entry was released than before.

Making Sense of the Senseless

So. For the last 18 days this is what we've gotten: sparse updates, conflicting messaging, and few facts. In the interim, the netizen community mostly made up of OuyaForum members have started compiling lists of those who have received consoles, those who have received confirmation, and those who have received neither. The numbers are staggeringly bad for Ouya. Presently, of the 1266 respondents, only .47% of a percent have received their console. Tooling around the net seems to back this claim. Nearly everyone who backed the Kickstarter campaign has not received their unit. And if you follow the graph above, you probably won't get it any time soon.

Just what the hell is going? Why would a company be so quiet with hundreds if not thousands of people complaining? Why are we left to speculate so much?

Unfortunately, we can only look to what has been said, and what we already know about Ouya, to find some semblance of the truth. A truth, I'm afraid, most backers will not appreciate.

Here are some hard facts:

1. Ouya's official release date into the public is June 4th

2. Ouya has struck deals to be carried at Amazon, Target, and Gamestop

3. Ouya fully intends on releasing their console on a mobile phone schedule (~ yearly)

4. Ouya has never given their Kickstarter backers a firm shipping date

Many have speculated since March 28th Ouya must be in trouble (I know I did). We've read about controller issues leading some to theorize Ouya must have stopped production and done an internal recall. Other evidence might point to issues with shipping partners and DHL. In fact, the April 5th blog (quoted above) alludes to such problems. l found myself also thinking that maybe Ouya is having money issues. Maybe Ouya can't cover production costs and they don't want to admit they're in trouble? Unfortunately, none of it adds up. All of these problems are not really that big of a deal. Admitting anyone of them wouldn't hurt their image one iota. And, if there really was a BIG problem, you damn well bet it would have pushed June 4th to the right on the calendar. And June 4th hasn't budged one bit.

So what's the problem?

The problem is there are no problems, minus a few pesky loudmouths on some geek forum. There are no shortages of Ouyas. There are no production halts or shipping issues. There's probably plenty of money. They've been making these things for weeks, if not months now. February 28th, Engadget reported:
    OUYA announced this afternoon that its Android-powered game console is shipping to Kickstarter backers starting on March 28th. The company took to its Kickstarter page to announce the news, which says, 'Parts are in the factory and assembly lines are buzzing.'"
    Do you really think March 28th snuck up and bit them on the ass? Please. They are purposely not shipping them to us because these units are slated for their new customers: moms and dads at Target; kids at GameStop; the online shopping masses who log on to Amazon. Do the math. There are roughly 2,000 Targets in North America alone, and 6,600 GameStops. Plans to put 3 in every store June 4th would tally up to over 25,000. I have a feeling the targeted number is much higher. And that's not factoring in Amazon's quota, either.

This is their concern. Not us.

The Silent Treatment

Ouya's message since March 28th is no message at all. It's easy to see why. June 4th is a VERY important day. Botching up a real release is way different than screwing with 60,000 geeks who "donated" money back in August. They have to hit June 4th running and you can bet the hype machine will kick into full gear by the middle of next month. Ouya needs to become a household name. Hence the silent treatment toward backers. Admitting they're fucking us over (which, by the way, they are) is extremely bad publicity and will hurt they're image. It's best to say nothing at all, followed up with blog entries saying shit like, "we're learning more every day" or, "production is ramping up." The longer they obfuscate what's really going on, the closer they get to launch without a major PR nightmare. Which is exactly what they're trying to do.

So, until June 4th enjoy the silence.
    Last edited by Pr0nSyrup; 04-15-2013 at 04:37 PM.

You are most likely correct and that is very thought out assessment of the situation. That being said, I think they are making the choice of what's better for Ouya as a whole. I mean, getting a console earlier for the backers (even if that was the promise) and potentially screwing over the distribution partners (Gamestop, Amazon, Target and BestBuy) is a sure way to kill the console.

Lesser of two evils type of thing.

And to guys that took the bullet for the team, the Kickstarter backers, well you can be satisfied, knowing that you did make it happen. Even if you aren't treated as special by the powers that be. (is some ways you still are)

I've heard that they ship the ouya's that fail QC to the backers. So that they have nice ones for the Amazon customers.

Good article, and probably true which does suck. I am still expecting a delay past June 4th, but you could be right on the nose with them ramping up production for the masses and not for the one's who made their dream come true.

I am so dissapointed by the lack of communication by ouya. I could not care less that I'll get my ouya 3 months late. What is clear to me is that the "ouya company" does not give a hoot about the backers. I thought we were going to be a shining example of crowdfunding...standing up to the evil corporate giants who control the game industry....to build a new gaming community without having to spend 3 months worth of pocketmoney on a game. (Based upon what my kids get and the cost of a typical a+ type game 60€.) Another illusion the poorer I'll get my sense of community elsewhere.

I got an email this morning stating my Ouya was now at the distribution center and I should have it in 2 weeks.
    Looks like the kickstarter backers get the luxury of ground shipping

Given the levels of frustration from backers I find it difficult to comprehend their desire to undermine their most enthusiastic supporters. It's a shame, I have a bitter taste in my mouth regarding this kickstarter experience which is turning me off of OUYA as a company and product. It's a shame, I was so excited about them but they managed to change my mind

Quote Originally Posted by PixelMushroom View Post
    You are most likely correct and that is very thought out assessment of the situation. That being said, I think they are making the choice of what's better for Ouya as a whole. I mean, getting a console earlier for the backers (even if that was the promise) and potentially screwing over the distribution partners (Gamestop, Amazon, Target and BestBuy) is a sure way to kill the console.

Lesser of two evils type of thing.

And to guys that took the bullet for the team, the Kickstarter backers, well you can be satisfied, knowing that you did make it happen. Even if you aren't treated as special by the powers that be. (is some ways you still are)
    Hear hear and well put!
    Backers will still get theirs early(ish) and if the OUYA continues to make strides like it has done already, this will all be a distant memory and those who backed will have their shiny "Backer" symbol next to their username taunting mere mortals who didn't back when they had the chance :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
    I am so dissapointed by the lack of communication by ouya. I could not care less that I'll get my ouya 3 months late. What is clear to me is that the "ouya company" does not give a hoot about the backers. I thought we were going to be a shining example of crowdfunding...standing up to the evil corporate giants who control the game industry....to build a new gaming community without having to spend 3 months worth of pocketmoney on a game. (Based upon what my kids get and the cost of a typical a+ type game 60€.) Another illusion the poorer I'll get my sense of community elsewhere.
    Thank you for phrasing it like this!
    It's the lack of communication that sucks the most... sure, the shipping/non-shipping is pants, too, but the not knowing is painful! That said, there's so much more to it and while patience on the Internet is like rocking horse droppings, that's all we can do but to develop Jedi-like measures of patience and hope the delivery-gods are in a good mood ;-)

I like the quotation of an Engadget article that cites the OUYA update, really adds to the theory.

Has it been considered that they might miss the target retail launch date, perhaps big time, and they've gone radio silent on that rather than continuously releasing dates that they're going to miss?

At this point, they don't stand to gain by:
    - Announcing a new, but short term date and then miss that and subsequently get killed for missing another "deadline"
    - Announcing a new, but far off date and then make everyone complain even more that it is far away.

Being silent or as vague as possible, in my opinion, stands the best chance at keeping the wolves at bay.

It's a gamble backing a Kickstarter project, we knew they were likely seeking additional funding. Frankly, if the retail partners want to order 100k units... Well, who is going to re-order more? The retail partners or the Kickstarter backers? ?

Great article but it makes me sad

Even Julie Uhrman's Answer wich she gave to me on twitter makes me distrustfull, as this might mean it will be in my hands before Retal Launch but this might not mean before June 4th.