Close
Advertise Here

The Future of OUYA - OUYA Built into TV's, Boxes & Tablets

Eddie's Editorials #4 - By Ed Krassenstein
    The Future of OUYA - OUYA Built into TV's, Boxes & Tablets

(April, 12, 2013) With still almost 2 months to go before the OUYA hits retail outlets, many gamers who backed the console on Kickstarter are anxiously awaiting theirs in the mail.

Many OUYA followers have heard that the company plans to release upgraded consoles on a frequent basis; perhaps as often as once a year. What most gamers don't realize though, is how simple the OUYA console really is, and why OUYA may actually stop making consoles altogether in the near future.

It is so simple, in fact, that the small rubix cube-sized console is really even much smaller on the inside. It is basically a computer chip with several ports connected to it. All of these ports (i.e. ethernet, hdmi, power) can be found on a standard HD TV, or set-top box such as the Roku box.

In a discussion OUYA CEO Julie Uhrman had with The Verge's Joshua Topolsky during SXSW, she said, "I would love [for OUYA] to be built into televisions and I am talking to everyone about that."

If all works out as planned, for the OUYA, and gamers buy into the Android game console, it will only be a matter of time before your next Smart TV will have OUYA built directly into it. Just like how OnLive is already being built into many TV's, OUYA would be no different. In fact, OUYA would have far less issues than OnLive currently has.

The most likely scenario that will occur, is one in which OUYA reaches an agreement(s) with certain TV manufacturers, such as VIZIO, Westinghouse, Toshiba, etc, to have their chips included in the shipment of newer TVs. Those chips would need to have memory storage, as well as the OUYA software installed on them. Consumers would purchase a TV that includes 1 or 2 OUYA controllers, with the option to purchase additional controllers for an additional fee. OUYA and the TV manufacturers could also include incentives such as free redeemable credits for the purchase of games in the OUYA store.

While TV's are the most evident destination that we will probably see OUYA land on sometime soon, they are not the only one.

Set-top boxes such as the Roku box, Slingbox, Boxee Box, Logitech Revue, TiVo, etc are also an obvious destination for OUYA. Many people only purchase a new TV every 10-15 years, so it would be a bit absurd to purchase a new TV just to be able to play OUYA games. This is where Set-top boxes could easily replace the need for OUYA Inc. to continue to manufacture their own consoles. Boxes like the Roku box could easily support OUYA and the software it runs, while at the same time not increasing the price that the box actually costs to consumers.

OUYA isn't trying to make money off of selling consoles. Their bread and butter comes from game & app sales, where they take in 30% of sales revenues. If it were up to them, they would obviously prefer that other companies create the hardware for them. It would save OUYA time, money, and the need for a larger workforce. Set-top box manufacturers would have an upper hand over their competition if they were to support the OUYA. It is a win/win for both OUYA and the set-top box makers.

If you are familiar with OnLive, you would know that the online gaming service is also available on Tablets. The Bluetooth gaming controller easily pairs to tablets and lets gamers play AAA titles on their device just like they would on a TV. It basically turns a tablet into a gaming PC/Television with a console.

Android based tablets pretty much all meet the system requirements to run OUYA. This simply means, running an Android app designed for the OUYA on Tablets, would turn your tablet into the equivalent of a television with an OUYA console hooked up to it. The OUYA controller, like that of OnLive is Bluetooth, meaning it would easily pair to the majority of tablets on the market today. There is no reason to think OUYA would not want to capitalize on the Tablet market. Whereas, most Android games for a tablet are touch based, very few are made to work with a wireless controller. However, all OUYA games ARE made to pair with a controller.

It's quite obvious to me that the future of OUYA does not rest within the console. In fact, I'd be surprised if OUYA were still selling individual consoles in a couple years. This would become the job of TV manufacturers, set-top box creators, and a simple Android app available on all tablets.

OUYA's focus will move to curating the store, as well as convincing indie developers as well as the larger more well known game devs to bring their games to what could become the most used game service on the planet.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ed Krassenstein
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

It sounds neat and all but T.V's would probably be more expensive than what they are now...

As long as we have a "console" option for at least another 4-5 years, I'm all for it!
    OUYAReview - OUYA driven YouTube Network OUYAForum Certified
    SUBSCRIBE @ http://www.youtube.com/ouyareviewofficial

Isn't this what PlayJam (Creators of GameStick) is basically doing?

Note, I am not saying GameStick is going the same route - it is just my impression that exactly this is PlayJams core business and has been for a while.
    --
    Co-creator of Stikbold! - Coming soonish. Twitter: @jacobherold
    www.stikbold.com - www.facebook.com/TeamStikbold - @Stikbold

Playjam already do that which gives them an advantage they created the Gamestick to bring into the wider market

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Herold View Post
    Isn't this what PlayJam (Creators of GameStick) is basically doing?

Note, I am not saying GameStick is going the same route - it is just my impression that exactly this is PlayJams core business and has been for a while.
    In some way yes, but the Gamestick's selling point is the portability. Discontinuing the Gamestick dongle to be integrated in TVs and Boxes would be a dumb idea.
    OUYAReview - OUYA driven YouTube Network OUYAForum Certified
    SUBSCRIBE @ http://www.youtube.com/ouyareviewofficial

Wouldn't that affect the games if certain games begin to surpass old Ouya hardware requirements? Wouldn't this create the feared fragmentation that used to be such a hot topic? Honestly, just wondering.

I think they are getting a little ahead of themselves the ouya hasn't even launched yet. tablets really surprised me wasn't the whole purpose to get you off of a tablet and back onto the tv screen. I am fine with upgrading my system for a new one in 1-2 years but if they think that they can sell tvs when you already have one and can just spend another $99 for a console their crazy. it doesn't make sense to me. I don't know it just sounds too weird to me.

I would rather see the Ouya company create the consoles instead of having them inserted into TV's.
    Diversity is already Androids biggest problem - we don't want to make it bigger.

Besides, I would rather have a small cubic console that I can easily move around instead of having it implemented into my TV.
    I sure hope this doesn't happen any time soon. Or at least that they keep developing their own consoles for years to come!
    OUYAGameplays on YouTube: youtube.com/OUYAGameplays
    Twitter Profile: twitter.com/ouyagameplays

If you're the type who actually pays attention to technology trends then you know that this is actually the opposite of what all these potential partner companies would want. Every hardware maker is trying to start their own branded store. Why profit off the consumer only once when you can do it indefinitely? Unless OUYA is willing to share a sizable (or maybe even the majority) portion of that 30%, other companies would rather try to own the whole process. That's why every manufacturer has there own, universally hated, Smart TV platform instead of a partnership with Boxee or Roku. That's not to even mention the paltry number of TVs with Google TV integrated. Or even the option of just customizing XBMC or MythTV or some other popular multimedia frontend. No one wants to share when it comes to TV, movies, or music. Why would they suddenly change their tune for games?