Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OUYA Consoles Shipping at Random? LATE backers receiving theirs before EARLY backers?

Eddie's Editorials #3 - By Ed Krassenstein
    OUYA Consoles Shipping at Random? Some LATE backers are receiving their consoles ahead of EARLY backers.

(April 10, 2013) OUYA is shipping! OUYA is shipping! This mere fact has been causing OUYA backers both plenty of excitement and a little bit heartbreak, all at the same time.

When OUYA announced that they were shipping their consoles out starting on March 28, many Kickstarter backers assumed that they would all be shipped out around the same time. When a few days passed and it was learned that hardly any backers had yet received their consoles, riots broke out on Twitter, Facebook, and surely the email boxes of OUYA. However, OUYA never did say they would be shipping all the consoles out at once. In fact, in a Kickstarter update on February 28, they stated, "(It) might take a few weeks to get to everyone. We have a lot of OUYAs to ship!"

On March 28, OUYA's official "unofficial" launch, Urhman chimed in again on Kickstarter, with another update in which she said, "Today we start shipping our early backers their OUYAs."

This is when those early backers, with backer numbers in the teens, 20's and 100's got excited. Certainly they would be the first to receive their OUYA consoles, since they were the "early" backers... Right? Days went by, and most of these "early" backer still did not receive a 'confirmation of shipment' email from OUYA.

Then on this past Friday (April 5), Julie Uhrman released some more news via Kickstarter: "The rollout will be as follows: We are starting with the standard OUYA unit (grey console+controller), then working on the Kickstarter exclusive units and units with more than one controller."

All hell broke loose when backers who had purchased the "limited edition" (exclusive) units, and those that ordered extra controllers, questioned why they would be getting their consoles later than those who had paid less money for the standard OUYA unit with only 1 controller. OUYA quickly tried to settle down these "special" backers on twitter by saying, "More controllers don't push your OUYA to the end of queue. Just a bit more time (hours not days) to assemble the package."

A few hours before this reassuring tweet, the official OUYA twitter feed also stated, "We're sending out shipping emails as soon as your shipment leaves the assembly line. We're shipping by backer number ."

"Shipping by backer number", just like Julie mentioned in the March 28 Kickstarter update (see above). However, now there is evidence that OUYA seems to be shipping consoles to backers more at random, rather than by backer number. OUYAForum.com has put together a discussion thread, in order to see who has and has not received their shipping notifications, and/or OUYA consoles in the mail. (If you haven't added your backer number and status to the thread, please do so now).

According to reports, and reports that I have tried my best to verified, OUYA has shipped consoles to late backers. Backer numbers 21,421, 44,627 & 47,638 have all received confirmation that their OUYAs have been shipped. However, many early backers have not yet received notifications that their consoles are on their way. For example, backer numbers 18, 23, & 27 have not yet heard anything. The complete list we have generated, thanks to our forum members, can be seen here. On top of this, with help from some OUYA forum members, there is a database being kept of backer numbers and their statuses at http://isouyashipping.com/ (please note that we are not verifying contributions to this database, like we are on our forum thread).

I have personally reached out to OUYA's press contact for more information on why shipments seem to be at random, but have not heard back from them as of yet. I am sure they are extremely busy with other things, but if I hear anything from them, I will update this article.

So why would there be such a discrepancy in what OUYA has told us, and what they are actually doing? Here are some theories that I have.

1) OUYA initially wanted to deliver consoles to their early backers first, but when they started the process, they realized that it was more time efficient to just send them out in a different order. Perhaps that order is based on geographic location, number of additional controllers ordered, or simply at random. Julie has promised to keep us all updated on the shipping process on a weekly basis. On Friday, we will be getting another Kickstarter update about how the shipping process is going. Perhaps, it is then that we will learn about the "new" shipping method that they have implemented.

2) OUYA is shipping some consoles to late backers that are developers who plan on creating games for the console. Backer #44,627, who is one that received his shipment confirmation, also informed me that OUYA is aware that he has plans to develop a game for the console. There could be a strong case for OUYA to send consoles to developers. After all, they certainly want to see as many good games on their console as possible, before the June 4 official launch. Perhaps OUYA is sending consoles out to their early backers first, but also sending a few out to other "people of interest".

3) Error in the data. Although I have tried my best to verify the data in our status tracking thread, it is virtually impossible to do so, in a time when just about anyone can fake documents via Photoshop. I am 99.99% sure that the majority of the data we have recorded is accurate, but I can not be 100% certain.

4) Another reason that I have not thought of.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts. What are you theories on why it seems like OUYA is shipping consoles at random, contradicting what they said they would be doing? I personally am a backer in the 40,000's and I have not heard anything yet. I am patiently awaiting my console, and will wait however long it takes because I know that when I do receive it, I will be having a blast! I personally think OUYA is doing an awesome job, and realize that it is difficult to run a business and please everyone all at once.

Be sure to add you backer number and status of shipment to our "OUYA Backer Number Shipping Status" thread, as well as the IsOUYAShipping.com database.

Ed Krassenstein
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

Sorry, but nitpicking things like: "However, OUYA never did say they would be shipping all the consoles out at once" is just stupid. Admit that your rollout process to early backers was flawed and we can move on. Tired of excuses.

It seems that the backers will receive their consoles with me on June.

Other options to get Kickstarter Backer #

Is there any other way to get your kickstarter backer #? I don't have the email that was sent back in December. I can log in to Kickstarter and see that I answered the survey questions but nothing indicates what my backer # is.

Thanks,
    Joe

Never understood the logic behind trying to ship in backer order. It just didn't make sense to me from a logistical standpoint. If they aren't shipping in backer order number, I'll be glad because that'll mean that everyone will get theirs sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Apyrael View Post
    Sorry, but nitpicking things like: "However, OUYA never did say they would be shipping all the consoles out at once" is just stupid. Admit that your rollout process to early backers was flawed and we can move on. Tired of excuses.
    That's not an excuse if they originally said it was going to take a couple of weeks to get them all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Desiderio View Post
    Is there any other way to get your kickstarter backer #? I don't have the email that was sent back in December. I can log in to Kickstarter and see that I answered the survey questions but nothing indicates what my backer # is.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Some people have emailed the OUYA team to ask and have gotten a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Desiderio View Post

Thanks,
    Joe
    I suppose that you could always contact the Ouya team and ask. I'm quite certain they will give you an answer, even if they are busy these days.
    OUYAGameplays on YouTube: youtube.com/OUYAGameplays
    Twitter Profile: twitter.com/ouyagameplays

Quote Originally Posted by salvasaur View Post
    That's not an excuse if they originally said it was going to take a couple of weeks to get them all out.
    Agreed, but knowing my luck I will get mine towards the end of May, just before the official launch, which is not what they meant by: "get yours months before the official launch". Anyway, moving on with life.

obviously for a higher price, but the fact that i can go to ebay right now and buy one makes me sad
    a wiseman see's failure as progress

What if they are making the retail units first for the stores?