Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SPiN WARS - Brightside Games

Hi everyone,

I'm Thomas, Creative Director of indie developer Brightside Games and here is the first preview of our little upcoming OUYA game SPiN WARS.

Up to 4 friends battle each other simultaneously in local multiplayer in this simple but fun arena shoot 'em up game! Control your fighter and pull off your special moves with the well-timed tap of just one button!

Win one of 50 free copies of the game if you subscribe to our newsletter on http://spinwars.brightside-games.com before Friday March 22nd 2013 23:59 CET. Winners will be drawn from the pool of all subscribers and win the game for one predefined platform (PC,Mac,iOS,Android).

Features:
    - Frantic shoot'em up battles with awesome special moves!
    - 4 Players on one device!
    - Simple one-button controls!
    - Pay once, get it all! No additional cost, pure fun!
    - Great for pick-up and play video game tournaments at your event or party!

Let us know what your first impression is and watch a trailer on http://spinwars.brightside-games.com

SPiN WARS will be out on OUYA (hopefully the 28th), on iOS and Android the 21st of March 2013 and on PC, Mac soon after that.

Last edited by TCTomm; 03-20-2013 at 08:04 AM.

it looks like a awesome game and i cant wait to play it, but my question is, is your game going to be strictly local multiplayer only or can we plan to see online soon as well?

Gamertag: MX Woods3
    Frenbee:MX Woods3
    OUYA:MX_Woods3

Got a OUYA question? (tech or trivial) Private message me. I love to help people

Want a particular indie game on the OUYA? PM me the name of the game or the team who made it and I'll be happy to send them an email and PM you their response

Professional Gamer:
    MX Woods3

Hey, the game is purposely going to be local multiplayer only and you can read why in this interesting article:
    Social aspects of local multiplayer – Why SPiN WARS wouldn’t work online

Also if you want to try the game on other platforms, it's out now and on sale this weekend http://spinwars.brightside-games.com

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

No offense TCTomm but as a person who doesn't even have a Ouya yet. I can already see this struggling. It looks like a blast to play... Online. With the Ouya being $100 and three extra controllers being $150 that's a $250 game you have there, not to mention the cost of the game itself. Sure playing with your friends locally is a vintage experience that can't be beat but unless a person is rich, has a lot of friends with an interest in Ouya, and a hardcore single player experience. I don't see this doing well at all.

Thanks for your feedback! We know this game won't be for everyone. The major reason for releasing this game is that we had so much fun with the original prototype in our team!

Guess what, we didn't officially announce this yet, but this game is going to be completely free on OUYA just because we think OUYA is awesome. It's not free on all other platforms, so feel privileged to have an OUYA! Try it out, spread the word, nothing to lose!

We know it is hard to market a game that is only local multiplayer. But please read the article above on why this game wouldn't work as an online game. It is completely optimized for local multiplayer.

To respond to some of your remarks:
    - You can hook up other game pads that you already own through USB!
    - You don't have to play with 4 players. It's a blast with 2 players as well
    - If you are looking for a hardcore single player experience of course this isn't mainly for you, but it could be still great if you want to have a fun session between those bigger games. Just like we used to play Bomberman having hours of fun together and then switch over to something bigger for that single player experience.

Re: SPiN WARS - Brightside Games

Nice to hear you giving it free. Cant wait to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by TCTomm View Post
    - You can hook up other game pads that you already own through USB!
    Hmm... You'd still need to buy the USB devices if you don't already have some. That and if you want to have more than 2-players since the Ouya only has one port then you need to buy a USB Hub and/or some BlueTooth devices which would still total to a lot of money. Most people a guaranteed to use that one usb port for a flash/hard drive so...

BlueTooth Controllers $12.79
    $19.98 with est. tax & shipping
    Rakuten(dot)com Shopping - Ottoman Trade X's Three equals $60
    (Good)USB Hub(which people are guaranteed not to cheap out on)$20+

$60 + $20 = $80.
    $80 is still higher than any Brand New game on the market, PS3/Xbox 360 and all. This is only a estimate of course because people can find these cheaper and more expensive but still.

There's a reason why people play Call of Duty for it's online multi-player and it that's because playing with people from little mud huts to corporate CEO's wasn't a fad. Again, I'm not trying to be a bad person here but I think your really hurting yourself by having only local co-op.
    Last edited by RiotingSpectre; 03-24-2013 at 09:40 AM.

RiotingSpectre don't worry, I am not taking any offense by what you say. We generally like getting as much feedback as possible. I do understand what you are saying, its just the nature of our control scheme that makes the game special but at the same time doesn't make much sense when playing online (like I said our article http://brightside-games.com/?p=629 explains that in more detail, if you are interested). What your calculations are all missing, is that players don't buy 4 controllers for just one game and that it has always been one of the advantages of a console to feature local multiplayer and also a set goal of the OUYA team to allow these experiences (see their post on what games they are looking for).

When you say we are hurting ourselves this way then maybe you should consider this:
    - we just wanted to release this game b/c we had so much fun with it in our team, we want everyone to be able to enjoy those Bomberman like head on head sessions as well
    - we will most likely not ever make enough money with this to cover development costs, after all its free and without ads on OUYA
    - developing online multiplayer or a single player campaign for it would cost us a lot more money and we don't even think it would match or improve this game

Hope this gives you a little more insight, we are happy to share! Have fun with this game and maybe friend us on Facebook or subscribe to our newsletter if you like!

Well in that case, more power to you. You're right to think that people don't buy an extra set of controllers for one game then stop. I'm sure many of us including myself will buy more controllers along the way. I'm glad your reasons for releasing this on the Ouya isn't distorted like so many other developers on other consoles (*cough* EA)a nd that in itself makes me want to grab a copy of your game when I get a Ouya.

I reallllly liked the article you posted. Is this out of the sandbox yet? I don't have my ouya yet, but this reminds me of sheer "bomberman" chaos style of play that will make this a day one download for me.