Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Clarification of OUYA Multiplayer from SXSW Keynote

Guys, I think a lot of media outlets misinterpreted Julie Uhrman's keynote from the SXSW yesterday, concerning multiplayer gaming.

Julie emailed me this morning and said the following, as she was a bit bummed that some people misinterpreted her yesterday.

We support couch play and any multiplayer that the dev builds into their game - friends lists/friend finding will come later by us.
    I think this pretty much clarifies what will be happening with multiplayer on OUYA. Developers can build in any type of multiplayer they want. What will come later is "Friends lists/friend finding" by OUYA.
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

This is being picked up in a lot of mainstream sites now about this multiplayer "issue". They need to get the message out loud and clear

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar

A number of websites (destructoid, the verge) seem to have got the message and put in updates to clarify, but it still doesn't look good when other sites then fail to update the article, or the article title, only for a bunch of people (re)tweet with the title as their tagline (Looking at you Polygon!)
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

They definitely do. This can blow up pretty badly. Already if you google "ouya online" or "ouya multiplayer", there are tons of articles stating the misinterpretation as fact.
    Last edited by salvasaur; 03-12-2013 at 06:05 PM.

I hate to say it, but I think Julie really stepped in it during the SXSW interview yesterday because it sounded an awful lot like she was saying no online multiplayer until the end of the year. She's going to have to clean this up somehow.
    OUYA Username = Thrice_G
    Order & Choas Character = Inviticus

@Loey That's what she just did.
    www.ouya-unleashed.de

1 members found this post helpful.
    Every time she speaks in public, it seems to me she makes a mis-step somewhere. She's got great enthusiasm for the project, and that comes out strong and is one of the key reasons the Kickstarter did so well. But then she'll do something like talk about how it's just an Android device and any old Android game will run on it, it's nothing special. Or she'll make a vague statement that gets misinterpreted or exaggerated, or dance around an issue in an obvious way where she should just come out and say she can't/won't answer that right now (Reggie Fils-Aime from Nintendo does that all the time, he just shuts the questioner down). This was kind-of a worst-case scenario for her because the interviewer was actually pressing her to answer things she didn't want to, and make her explain her various phrases she likes to bring up.

Hopefully they get a real PR team for the big marketing push for the retail launch.
    Last edited by Dreamzle; 03-12-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Quick simple win is to show footage of a online game in the works. Has anyone see any running?

Our game, iMech Online will be running MULTIPLAYER : http://youtu.be/mj-UjK0CCBo

No reason for the uproar, there will be multiplayer games on the OUYA.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
    @Loey That's what she just did.
    Awwww.... I wanted to say that...

Gamertag: MX Woods3
    Frenbee:MX Woods3
    OUYA:MX_Woods3

Got a OUYA question? (tech or trivial) Private message me. I love to help people

Want a particular indie game on the OUYA? PM me the name of the game or the team who made it and I'll be happy to send them an email and PM you their response

Professional Gamer:
    MX Woods3