Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

With Sony opening up to Indies should Ouya be worried?

Watching the Sony press conference where they made a statement that they want to be much more open to indie developers letting them in on the market place, do you think this could do some damage to the Ouya if it is true? Basically im asking if developers would rather spend their time on a system that is a little easier to develop (from what i assume) with a bigger market and a wider range of technical and graphical power? Do you think the Ouya's barrier to entry will be just that much easier that the indie devs will just stick with it?

I'll wait to see what they actually mean with it. Nintendo had the same speech with the Wiiware but didn't get anywhere near the openness of android, while Microsoft came up with XBLIG that buries indie games on the console UI and is limited to a set of countries.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Yeah, they said that, and then to prove it they showed what I consider a non-indie game developer - I mean, sure, when Braid was made it was indie, but the guy said it there at the conference - after Braid was a hit they formed a real development company and this game has been in development there full time for three years.

Neither system is out yet, so it's impossible to compare platforms at this point -- all we can do is speculate on what we've been told.

OUYA has made some bold promises to developers:

In fact, every OUYA is a development kit. You won’t need to buy expensive SDKs — every console comes with all the tools you’ll need to make a great game. And, we’ve removed the hassles and hurdles common to console publishing — submit and publish apps to our game store quickly and easily.
    The two things that give OUYA a distinct advantage over the PS4 (and pretty much every other platform besides maybe Steam) are summed up with that statement. Every OUYA is a dev kit, and the store is open and easy to publish content to. That pretty much gets rid of the barrier to entry on other platforms in one fell swoop.

We won't know if those two statements will be fully realized with the OUYA until the actual release of the console (or an OUYA developer jumps in and gives their opinion on the development experience). There will probably have to be a few revisions and release cycles to the development and publishing model before that vision is fully realized. However, if it does deliver, it's sure to turn some heads -- it already is.

Sony's had some mild success with recent indie games like Journey, but they can't match what OUYA offers in terms of openness. The only draw they can really offer over OUYA is an established market, but even that is dwindling:

Sony’s FY 2012 financial results saw it swallow a $5.74 billion loss, with PS3, PSP and PS2 hardware sales all down versus the previous year.

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar

Sony dropped the word indie numerous times, however to me it seems like they are just using the PS4 announcement to promote the existing PlayStation Mobile route:

https://twitter.com/nsuttner/status/304389252026871808

https://twitter.com/nsuttner/status/304391383395991552

Unfortunately, the link from that second tweet brings you here: http://www.scedev.net/scea_licensing_info.php

Where upon you start to read about multi-stage licensing process with NDA's and Loan Agreements and the usual sort of stuff that OUYA and mobile actively avoid. So unless I'm wrong, on closer inspection, nothing has materially changed
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

I don't know if Sony will be a challenger.
    Could be different markets... but... Sony is a videogames' monster, it's a powerful brand and a powerful machine.
    Its "closed nature" could not be important for a developer making a choice... We'll see.

Re: With Sony opening up to Indies should Ouya be worried?

Not every Indie dev want to make simple 2d platformers or roguelikes. OUYA offers nothing to devs who want make impressive good looking games. Games like Legend of Grimrock, Journey, Nuclear Dawn, Torchlight 2, Trine 2 etc is just impossible with OUYAs specs...

Quote Originally Posted by shaminy View Post
    Not every Indie dev want to make simple 2d platformers or roguelikes. OUYA offers nothing to devs who want make impressive good looking games. Games like Legend of Grimrock, Journey, Nuclear Dawn, Torchlight 2, Trine 2 etc is just impossible with OUYAs specs...
    That REALLY isn't true.
    I suggest you to watch the Tegrazone tech demos, or the Phosphor games on Google Play, or the Madfingers games on Google Play.

Indie devs will find on OUYA a good power.***
    The most difficult thing will be the capacity of USING that power.
    It's unexpensive and easy to do a game with 3 ugly 2D bitmap sprites, it's more difficult (and will take more time and resources) to do a game like Legend of Grimrock that CAN move its graphics on OUYA.

If the OUYA games will be ugly, you 'll must find the "fault" on developers.

***however you can't compare THAT power to the Sony & Microsoft's ones

1 members found this post helpful.
    Trine and Tourchlight style games most certainly are, and of course we all know graphics are the most important part of gaming

Developers can make awesome games on Ouya. Some will actually look quite nice, which is a bonus. For everything else there is the Playstations and Xboxes of the world, there's no reason Ouya can't exist in this ecosystem. Except, perhaps, too many closed minded folk who think graphics = gameplay

1) 2D games can have great graphics and very, very high requirements (look at Braid, the textures alone are huge, and it uses a lot of shaders).
    2) OUYA has enough power to run quite advanced 3D graphics (and should cope with most 2D graphics) - look up Epic Citadel on YouTube, it works great (very fluid) on my tablet which has similar specs to OUYA.
    3) If you want to make games that won't run on OUYA - similar to PS4 games - you probably need to have a studio with at least several people to work for you anyway, so you are not really and indie dev. (like Braid creator's new game - it's not really an indie, he has a large studio now)
    4) If the specs are bad for you - wait a year, OUYA will have Tegra4 then. Don't count on easy access for indie devs to the PlayStation 4 though. It will be like with other such closed projects - you will have to work on the game for several months or a year not knowing if it will be accepted or not. And if it's not you are basically screwed.

From your examples I know only Trine 2 - I think Tegra3 is capable of very similar graphics.
    Last edited by Magnesus; 02-21-2013 at 06:53 PM.