Close
Advertise Here

View Poll Results: Should the OUYA be updated every year?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

63 36.42%
  • No

87 50.29%
  • Don't know / unsure

23 13.29%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

New OUYA Console Every Year...

Just read this article, I guess I should have seen this coming but I didn't thinK it would be an annual thing...

OUYA CEO Julie Uhrman told us in an interview this afternoon, following her DICE 2013 speech. "There will be a new OUYA every year. There will be an OUYA 2 and an OUYA 3," she added. One potentially featuring the recently revealed Tegra 4, perhaps, rather than the Tegra 3 powering the first units? It sure sounds like it. "We'll take advantage of faster, better processors, take advantage of prices falling. So if we can get more than 8GB of Flash in our box, we will," she explained.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/07/ouya-annual/

I understand that they want to have the best technology on the system each year, but it seems tiresome to have to purchase a new console even if they are only $100 a pop. I do like how games will be tied to your account and not the hardware itself though. At least that's how I interpreted it from the article I could be wrong
    Last edited by anonymous16; 02-07-2013 at 08:12 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
    As a developer, I have to say that really sucks. So much for being able to really treat it like a game console, pushing the hardware as far as it will go, not having to worry about supporting multiple platforms. Every two years I think would be fine, but every damn year?

1 members found this post helpful.
    Games will be backwards compatible, so just write for current hardware and be happy. That is how the mobile space works.

Also, $100 a year? Do you know how much people spend on a phone in ONE year?
    The PS3 was like £600 at the start, thats 6 years worth of Ouyas right there, and you get to sell/keep the old one and always have the latest hardware.

I can see why they did it. Will it work? We shall know in 2 years

Wow that could be a bad move, one of the big reasons people wanted to develop for the Ouya is because it'll have standard hardware. As long as they keep the price at $100 I think I can keep up though. And on another note, I don't think my games will ever have to be locked out of early models so the changing hardware probably won't effect me too much.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Okay, two things that could make this work that the Ouya heads need to consider:

1: Subsidised upgrades.

I have my KS Ouya (On the way). It's engraved. I don't wanna lose that! And I think a lot of others feel the same.
    If they're going to push yearly hardware updates, it should work on a two-tiered subsidy system.

Tier 1- General/Casual users:

User pays $70-80, Recieves postage (prepaid!) packet in the mail (ala MS), places Ouya unit inside the packet, and sends it off to OUYAINC (or whatever we call the company lol), where they transfer the data on the unit, place the hardware in the old case (or, if for example, new case colors or whatever come out, they can pay a bit extra and get a new flashy case), and then send it back. old hardware is Recycled, User recieves their new Ouya with a turnaround (time without an Ouya to play) of a week or two.

Tier 2 - Hacker/Dev Tier:

User pays $50-60, Recieves new hardware (motherboard only!) in the mail, with a recycling mailer for the old hardware. The user transfers the data from the old system to the new himself (You hack this thing every day, you oughtta know how to do a data transfer, and i'm sure someone will write a handy tool for this!), opens the case, replaces the motherboard, and sends the old one back to OUYAINC for recycling. Zero turnaround time, and cheaper, but more DIY.

2: MANDATORY HARDWARE RECYCLING.

I can not stress this enough. Computer landfill is a huge problem these days, and it's also throwing away expensive Rare earth minerals. a Mandatory recycling program through the upgrade system would minimise wastage and environmental impact of such a relatively quick hardware cycle, and it wold also give OUYAINC a huge reputation boost for green computing.

I just hope one of the OUYAINC peeps actually read and consider this, lol..

I doubt there will be any trade in value to the Old units. Also, there will be no use in getting just the motherboard as the cost difference will be TINY.
    That said, a console with no pads would be cheaper and I hope they do that as an option you everybody would end up with piles of pads in a couple years.

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar

This announcement is aimed at people who have been whining about how OUYA doesn't have Tegra 4, won't be as powerful blah blah blah.

It runs the risk that people who were fence sitting will now definitely wait for a year, rather than buying now, and in a year's time, they may have their PS4 or xbox720 and have forgotten about OUYA. Equally, when OUYA 2 comes out, it might jog people's memories about how they were planning on getting one before other things distracted them, so it could work either way

For developers, I think it is a signal that if you're planning on making something super-high graphics fidelity wise, which can take a year or so to make anyway, to start making the game for Tegra 4, or in the knowledge that by the time your game comes to market, there will be a powerful enough OUYA to run it on

Finally, I think it's a gamble that with the way the mobile hardware market is going, that chances are there will be a much more powerful chip at an OUYA-affordable price in a year or so's time. With the competitive tablet market, tablet manufacturers are putting pressure on component suppliers to produce cost savings. Since touch screens rely on Rare earth metals, which are (as the name suggests) rare, and with ever more demand for touch screens in other industries (cars, fridges, microwaves etc), the makers of other parts of the tablet devices get squeezed, and this includes the chip makers. OUYA becomes the beneficiary of this through cheap, mass produced, high powered mobile chipsets being available. 8GB is also clearly too small memory wise for what people are proposing to do with the console.

Quote Originally Posted by muskie View Post
    Okay, two things that could make this work that the Ouya heads need to consider:

1: Subsidised upgrades.

I have my KS Ouya (On the way). It's engraved. I don't wanna lose that! And I think a lot of others feel the same.
    If they're going to push yearly hardware updates, it should work on a two-tiered subsidy system.

Tier 1- General/Casual users:

User pays $70-80, Recieves postage (prepaid!) packet in the mail (ala MS), places Ouya unit inside the packet, and sends it off to OUYAINC (or whatever we call the company lol), where they transfer the data on the unit, place the hardware in the old case (or, if for example, new case colors or whatever come out, they can pay a bit extra and get a new flashy case), and then send it back. old hardware is Recycled, User recieves their new Ouya with a turnaround (time without an Ouya to play) of a week or two.
    Actually, this isn't as stupid as it might sound. But rather than sending in the post, this could be another way for bricks and mortar game stores to survive in a digital age. Bring your console down to us and we will upgrade the hardware for you without voiding the warranty!
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Bad move. In arguable that console owners are even that concerned about graphically-intensive games anymore when PCs offer much more graphical abilities than any console. And even if you were to pay about $60 for an unit without the controller, that's a total of $280 in an year, getting close to the Wii U's launch price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofer View Post
    I doubt there will be any trade in value to the Old units. Also, there will be no use in getting just the motherboard as the cost difference will be TINY.
    That said, a console with no pads would be cheaper and I hope they do that as an option you everybody would end up with piles of pads in a couple years.
    They can still refurbish the motherboards and sell to developers whe need to test their games on old hardware, though that would be an on-demand thing, because there's obviously more gamers than developers

I really dont like how Julie has decided to announce this. Instead they could have waited until the OUYA was delivered to all kickstarter backers. This way OUYA Inc. would have secured the current fans and also attract more. I am a backer and I am pissed how soon they have decided to make sequels. A few months earlier they werent even sure if there product was going to get positively received by the community.

Bad bad move.

I remember back in 1975 the Conn Organ co. took on the same mindset. Lets introduce a new series of models every year. That was their demise, the buying public got tired of that activity and Conn shortly there after closed their doors.