Close
Advertise Here

1 members found this post helpful.

Power War - Capture, Control, Conquer RTS/Shooter hybrid

(looking for beta testers! More info on post below)

Hello everyone, I'm Eric, developer of OUYA Cubed, and this is a project I've been working on as well as OUYA Cubed and I'm ready to show what I've got!

Power War is where you will take command of a battle ship in an intergalactic battle for control of the universe. Your objective is to capture the sector for your side, but you won't be fighting alone. Gathered around you is a fleet of ships ready to fight to the death for control, and it's up to you to guide them.

Here's a birds eye view of a battle without any player intervention

With so much going on, how can you turn the tide?

Player capabilities

- Spend upgrade points created by the planets on upgrades to your and your allies ships
    - call for your allies to lead a flank or take a strategic planet
    - manage various modifications for you and your allies to increase effectiveness, but be wary, every mod has a downside.
    - Be the smartest battler out there
    - manage the type of ally AI used
    - Capital ship - enemy turtle up to much for you and your allies to crack? Research, manufacture, and pilot this behemoth of steel and technology against your enemies. Be warned, it takes a lot of resources and will bring production of allies to a halt while being made.
    Game Modes

Campaign

Embark on an adventure to take over an infinite universe. But be wary, your enemy will not sit down. Every time you win a battle the AI will learn something and it will be slightly more difficult next time. Using a clever equation it will generate random strategies, those that don't work are discarded, and those that work are kept and improved upon every time you fight it. It will always try a new strategy and never give up the battle.

Multiplayer
    Practice is important! Lead a training exercise against another pilot as you battle over an abandoned sector to prove to your comrades that you're the best pilot and commander in the stars!

Upgrades/mod system

Change weapon type - Use mods to change the type of weapon you and your allies will use. Fast firing close range? Or long range cannons? Seeking missiles? It's up to you.

Increase stats - Use technology from your captured planets to improve the efficiency of armor, boosters, and weapon technology.

Manage defenses - Research planetary defenses to help keep what you've already earned and keep your production safe.

Toggle mods on or off - Every mod comes with a down side, mid battle change the way the battle is fought by changing the production of ships from light skirmishers to heavy brawlers by changing what mods you want equipped on construction.

Art
    All assets are open to public use under terms here

music through http://opengameart.org/content/stere...-shooter-music
    ships made through https://www.arrall.com/part2art/
    Background is temporary

Red scout

Red Cruiser

Blue Scout

Blue Cruiser

Capital ships, towers, and more planet designs coming soon!

Animations are in the works!

Current State
    The structure of everything said above is completely done, the goal is to have it done in time to submit it as a possible candidate for OUYA to show at PAX and I have every reason to believe I'll be able to make it. Some play testing has already been done and it works in both 1 & 2 player mode on the OUYA, two more rounds of play testing are expected once all features are in. The first one to get feed back on all the features, the second after that feed back has been implemented. More is totally possible if it's needed.

If you have any questions/feedback/comments or you'd like to participate in the next round of play testing, let me know or reply here on the thread!

Follow me on twitter for the most up to date info!
    @ironshellgames

link to open beta!
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5fq...xpU2J1ZVU/edit
    More info a few posts down!
    Last edited by Eric Blackburn; 06-30-2014 at 02:46 AM.

SO that's what you've been doing....
    OUYAForum Rules | OUYAForum Contests | OUYA Game Sales
    Killswitch Interviews | IamKillswitch.com | PorkpiePlatypus.com
    Astra Etherium: Adventures of a Space Bounty Hunter in Space

The video reminds me of bacteria swarming in a petri dish lol. Sounds interesting but not sure it would be the kind of game I would play. At least I never played one like it so have no idea. Would have to see someone playing it and probably have them explain to me what is going on. Other then that was the AI on both sides or what someone controlling it? How do they control it? The AI seems kinda simple but would have to play against it to know how well it works. Maybe a vid with you doing a voice over and a chance to see the controls in action would help... at least me lol

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmartino View Post
    The video reminds me of bacteria swarming in a petri dish lol. Sounds interesting but not sure it would be the kind of game I would play. At least I never played one like it so have no idea. Would have to see someone playing it and probably have them explain to me what is going on. Other then that was the AI on both sides or what someone controlling it? How do they control it? The AI seems kinda simple but would have to play against it to know how well it works. Maybe a vid with you doing a voice over and a chance to see the controls in action would help... at least me lol
    Some of the questions I have are here as well. The game has a neat gameplay concept that I haven't seen since NewGrounds started and all those aspiring developers made those games on their with similar mechanics. Hmm... Nothing pops out at me and says "It's a lost cause!" and as you know I'm a very forthcoming person when it comes to what I think of video game projects so consider that my stamp of approval.

Okay news time! I'm going to be doing a Beta testing session soon! The following features will be tested
    Continue balancing stats
    AI (it is now adaptive and pretty nasty)
    A possible upgrade system - I was going to go with menus but decided that might mess up the flow of the game, so going to go with something different
    Looking for suggestions on continuing the style
    A few other interesting things

Also if anyone has an Elgato or similar device that can record them playing and wouldn't mind recording it so I could make a teaser trailer I would be incredibly grateful!

Anyway either message me or post here if you're interested! If you've already posted in the APK testing thread or PM I already plan on sending you it unless you ask me to otherwise!
    Thanks for support so far, will get back to you soon!
    Look away!

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

The AI is already super sneaky. Can't wait for it to get worse, hehe.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Eric you know I'm in just PM me when youre good to go with the beta

Okay open (almost) beta!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5f...it?usp=sharing

So take control of your ship and blast things to bits. All planets/asteroids will grant you points that increase production speed of ally ships. The planets will each grant a different bonus. Right now you can't tell which is which, just know that there are armor upgrades, speed upgrades, weapon damage upgrades, health regen upgrade, and one that puts a rotating turret on allies (no animation, you'll know when you see it though) not all planets will be available each run. That'll be fixed for next phase. Feel free to tweak with the stats and let me know what you all think!

OH and I almost forgot, adaptive AI is now up! Each fight it will change it's strategy slightly. Controls should be straight forward, let me know what you guys think!

Oh and here's the readme

O to shoot
    left thumbstick to move
    A on first player returns to options menu and ends game
    settings do not save
    Goal is to capture all planets, more planets grants your team more resources
    No victory screen yet, if you or the computer start spawn camping that team probably has won
    Art/music is temporary
    music through http://opengameart.org/content/stere...-shooter-music
    ships made through https://www.arrall.com/part2art/

Use dpad in settings menu
    Please let me know your favorite settings and any suggestions for AI along with any ailities
    you feel the player should have.
    Look away!

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Blackburn View Post
    OH and I almost forgot, adaptive AI is now up!
    Rise of the OUYAs...

We're all doomed!
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram