Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

1 members found this post helpful.

My learning experience developing in UE4

I felt that while I hope to bring this to OUYA, I haven't had experience yet producing Android projects from UE4, and as this is a relatively small testing project it may ever only be released as a side-loading .APK, hence why I'm not posting this in upcoming OUYA games. I also felt as this is a learning experience it may be appropriate to share updates here in OUYA developer talk.

----------------- Design Overview ==

An identifiable rough idea of the projects concept : Smash Bros. / Bomber Man / Robot Wars
    Note#1: The design below may be revised and altered while playtesting and experimenting with UE4 development.
    Note#2: This is intended as a small scale project to experiment with UE4, so there won't be extended development times for better art, etc.

Controls:
    --Keyboard

Movement = W/A/S/D
    Jump = Spacebar (hold for higher jump)
    Attack 1 = left click (hold to launch, then release when you want the bomb to explode-allows strategic timing - will explode automatically after 3 seconds)
    Attack 2 = right click (hold for stronger power)
    --Controller (OUYA/plugged in xbox360 controller)

Movement = Left Joystick
    Jump = (O/A)
    Attack 1 = L1
    Attack 2 = R1

Combat - (VS mode)
    --The arena
    Battles will be fought across multiple platforms (each platform will have a randomly chosen hazard theme to intensify the arena).
    You start with 3 stamina blocks which recover over time.
    --Your attacks
    Attack 1 will launch an explosive bomb consuming the value of a single stamina bar, deals damage to your opponents and weakens them.
    Attack 2 will fire a short range lazer that grows and absorbs stamina for the period it is held, will knock opponents further than bombs.
    Above your stamina bar will be your morale, which effects your resilience to the force of attacks and will swing back and forth with
    your opponents in a 'tug-of-war' fashion.
    Defeating opponents - (VS mode)
    When there is one opponent left in the arena they will gain a round point. You can choose first to 2/4/10 points,
    and whether to randomize the arena each round.]

Miscellaneous
    Online multiplayer is planned, local multiplayer will be experimented with to see if it's possible
    (I need another controller before I can test local multiplayer properly).
    After a VS mode is developed I plan for a basic co-op mode to experiment with AI (enemies will be blocks/shapes)

----------------- Latest Video Update ==

Previous videos--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_5CkyCzrU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IecGTKCBvXE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V9vpMF6JCs

----------------- Latest Blog Log ==

note: I have nothing against people using Unity, however I've had nothing but awful experiences with it, yet favorable experiences with UE4, hence the tone of these Blog Logs.

UE4 vs Unity+Playmaker : Character object experience.

Previous Blog Logs--

UE4 experience update, learning Unity/Playmaker vs UE4/blueprint
    UE4 test project - 'online bomberman meets super smash bros.'
    Unreal Engine 4 completes me / Comparing experiences with Unity
    Last edited by SwiftIllusion; 05-16-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Preach on Sir Squirrel!

Loved the new video. Looks like things are shaping up quite nicely.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
    Preach on Sir Squirrel!

Loved the new video. Looks like things are shaping up quite nicely.
    Thanks a lot DP ^^!
    Also got a more concrete idea for the control scheme and design which I'll be writing up tonight with hopefully another video to share .

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftIllusion View Post
    Thanks a lot DP ^^!
    Also got a more concrete idea for the control scheme and design which I'll be writing up tonight with hopefully another video to share .
    Yay for sharing!
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

looking good Swift looking real good, glad things are coming together for you (:

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
    Yay for sharing!
    ^^!!
    Got a bit stuck trying to implement the new mechanics for the characters shooting so there's no video, but updated the games design in the original post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven7 View Post
    looking good Swift looking real good, glad things are coming together for you (:
    Glad you're liking it , thank you very much ^^.

Updated the first post to hopefully give you a better idea of this projects direction.
    Currently trying to re-work the characters shooting to function in the multiplayer environment and with the newly described mechanics
    The next video update will likely be when I can show the characters core desired combat mechanics (without a HUD yet).
    Hope you like the sound of it ^^;

Interesting...not converting at the moment but interesting.
    OUYAForum Rules | OUYAForum Contests | OUYA Game Sales
    Killswitch Interviews | IamKillswitch.com | PorkpiePlatypus.com
    Astra Etherium: Adventures of a Space Bounty Hunter in Space

UE4 = Unreal Engine 4
    For anyone else who had to stop and think a moment.

---------

SwiftIllusion,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Unreal Engine 4. May it help those it's best suited for more easily find it.

I feel you get a little carried away with how much worse you feel Unity is in comparison at times, though the disclaimer is a nice counter on your part to pretty much acknowledge that.

To each their own. I don't use either engines myself. However, you've given some very interesting information to keep in mind should I ever decide to go down that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    Interesting...not converting at the moment but interesting.
    No worries, I understand that there are people still invested in Unity, just sharing my personal opinions and experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Fox View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with Unreal Engine 4. May it help those it's best suited for more easily find it.

I feel you get a little carried away with how much worse you feel Unity is in comparison at times, though the disclaimer is a nice counter on your part to pretty much acknowledge that.

To each their own. I don't use either engines myself. However, you've given some very interesting information to keep in mind should I ever decide to go down that route.
    No worries ! I never thought I'd get to see someone else come out with a game engine like Unreal Engine 4, especially with it providing full access to the source code literally enabling you to do anything you want with it. And ontop of that it's actually been used by them for their own projects so as users we will benefit not only from their continued development but the improvements to the engine they find themselves needing. This is an engine I feel genuinely deserves to be successful.
    My single concern is how the opening of their marketplace will affect their desire to work on core features, because Unity hasn't cared at all about adding features already included in the marketplace and prefers to sit back and profit from the addons. But not only as mentioned they are using for their own projects, they've already posted and are maintaining an informative page showing their development pipepline and schedule, where they also allow users to vote on the features they want most to direct the schedule priorities.
    And obviously the price is incredible and beyond fair.

Yeah, I acknowledge the fact that I've never had a positive experience with Unity throughout the years I've used it which can make it feel biased, so I wanted to make that a clear statement up front as I realize that there are people who have had better experiences with it and still want to continue using it. I'm never trying to over-exaggerate things, it's just only being a designer I have to rely on a game engine to be able to produce my games, and I've had far too many headaches in Unity which until now was my only available option, so the frustrating times with it still feel fresh for me but I try to detail differences objectively where possible. And following Unreal Engine on twitter you can also see many other projects moving to UE4 with graphical comparisons if that's important to you.

Glad to hear I've at least given you food for thought . If you ever find yourself more interested, UE4 allows you to pay for the first subscription and then cancel, allowing you to make games with the engine for just one months pay (however you won't get updates-and you'll still have to follow their agreement of 5% of profits, etc as far as I know).
    You can also see their roadmap here - https://trello.com/b/gHooNW9I/ue4-roadmap
    They also have great templates and free projects you can download and take apart to learn from .

Still struggling with setting up the character for multiplayer, not sure if I'm using events correctly of if there's a bug or what's up but I'll post whenever there's any progress to share.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftIllusion View Post
    No worries, I understand that there are people still invested in Unity, just sharing my personal opinions and experience.
    You sure? You kind of look like a salesman for them.
    Pull up your sleeves and prove you don't have Unreal tattoos
    Unity, just like Unreal is fixing some of their brokenness so maybe now it will become a true race and we'll see them both improve their engines.
    OUYAForum Rules | OUYAForum Contests | OUYA Game Sales
    Killswitch Interviews | IamKillswitch.com | PorkpiePlatypus.com
    Astra Etherium: Adventures of a Space Bounty Hunter in Space