Close
Advertise Here

No sound on certain TV

Hello OUYA community!
    Before i begin I would like to apologize in advance: I'm not a native English speaker so it's possible that some of my sentences sound funny / are hard to understand. If you have trouble understanding what I mean, just ask and I'll try to give you a more clear description of what i meant to say.

Now: Since i got my OUYA in early July 2013 it won't output sound to my living room TV. There's just nothing coming out of the speakers. Wether I am in-game, in the menus or in the settings: Silence. The problem only occurs on that one TV, which was fine because I had another HDMI-display which worked just fine with the OUYA, but I don't own this HDMi-display anymore, leaving me with no way to play OUYA with sound. I've contacted the OUYA support and they pointed me to the forums and the /r/ouya subreddit because they couldn't help me with the problem because the problem is with my TV and not with the OUYA itself.

I hope you guys will be able to help me find a solution to this problem. Below I've included a list of further details (the same list I've send the OUYA support guy).

Thanks,
    Sven

What i have tried to fix the problem myself:
    - System Reset
    - Different HDMI-port
    - Different HDMI-cabel
    - Settings on my TV
    - System update

Observations and details:
    - I own a PS3 and a XBOX360: Both work just fine on this PC
    - I tried out to play iTunes rented movie on this TV. iTunes rented movies are known for their draconic enforcement of HDCP: It worked just fine.
    - There is some sort of grainy picture on my TV for a few seconds when i turn on my OUYA (I'm sorry that i don't know the exact term for this sort of image - it's basically the image you would get on an old TV when there is no signal coming in (i've checked: it's not my TV causing this image/ showing this image because it's not getting input))
    - When i connect my OUYA through a ROXIO HDMI Capture card (ROXIO Game Capture HD Pro) the sound WORKS! So as long as my OUYA is connected through the card i can hear sound in both the recording and on the TV. (Sadly, i have to run a wire through 2 rooms to do that, so this is not an option for using my OUYA at all)

[....]

My TV is an older Medion HD TV. Sadly, there is no date and no proper model information visible on the outside of it and since it's been here for some time now there is no packaging / manuals left. The best i can tell you about the TV is that it seems to support every other media device connected to it.

Go to Manage => System => Advanced => Sound => Volume and check if the volume has not been set to mute.
    My Ouya becomes silent like that every now and then for no apparent reason and this is how I fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldkid Livegen View Post
    Go to Manage => System => Advanced => Sound => Volume and check if the volume has not been set to mute.
    My Ouya becomes silent like that every now and then for no apparent reason and this is how I fix it.
    Tried it out: Didn't work. Thanks for the idea tough.

For me, sometimes if my tv is on before I switch on my Ouya, it will not produce any sound. Turning my tv off and on fixes it. You should try that to see if it is also happening for you, too.
    Signature Pending...

Quote Originally Posted by Sluup View Post
    For me, sometimes if my tv is on before I switch on my Ouya, it will not produce any sound. Turning my tv off and on fixes it. You should try that to see if it is also happening for you, too.
    I just tried it out and sadly this also doesn't seem to work

Just to add to it (because this thread comes up when you google the problem): I was on an old TV and what helped to get sound was unplugging and reinserting the TV-side HDMI port.
    Good luck everyone! Now I'm in a room on my trip and have my OUYA with me. Yay!

It happened to me sometimes, when I used a HDMI switch to connect two systems to the same hdmi imput.

I tried with another hdmi cable and the sound returns.
    virtus junxit mors non separabit

Banned

It's likely that the HDMI port inside of your OUYA is faulty. Mine has become just a bit loose, and if I wiggle the HDMI cord even just a tiny bit, it loses audio and video for a few seconds, and I get that snow on my TV.

Try contacting OUYA again and let them know that your HDMI port is bad and they should be able to help you.

My friend had this issue, it was his TV ,brought it over to my house worked perfectly

I can suggest using an HDMI to component adaptor this will still give you HD and sound providing your TV is capable
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/251662734697?nav=SEARCH