PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good 3D printing service?

gopackersjt
02-18-2014, 10:45 PM
After my roommates and I just finished playing a few rounds of Bomb Squad, two of them (the ones using my official Ouya controllers) were complaining about the input lag. I've greatly reduced the lag by soldering a wire to the controllers Bluetooth amp, but it seemed like the Ouya itself was causing the lag with four controllers (two being ps3 controllers) connected to it. It then hit me that the metal casing is probably killing the signal. I tilted it on its side like people have been doing and it helped, but I thought that if I could get a 3D printed plastic case, the problem would probably resolve itself. Does anyone know a good, reliable, quality service? I know where to get the cad file for the case already, just need a good source to actually print it. Thanks!

Eucrow
02-18-2014, 11:14 PM
I like to use Shapeways. There's also i.materialize, and sculpteo. I'm sure there are others those are just the ones I'm familiar with.

undftdroar
02-19-2014, 12:15 AM
you can buy one of these.

http://www.bdgcustoms.com/store.html

gopackersjt
02-19-2014, 12:25 PM
I like to use Shapeways. There's also i.materialize, and sculpteo. I'm sure there are others those are just the ones I'm familiar with.

I'll have to look into those websites, thanks!

you can buy one of these.

http://www.bdgcustoms.com/store.html

That actually looks interesting. I was thinking about editing the design in a cad program to add ventilation, but it looks like they already did on those. I might just order one of those instead.

Killswitch
02-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Shapeways for 3D.
BDG if you want something different, you can add your own designs on it, etc.

gopackersjt
02-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Shapeways for 3D.
BDG if you want something different, you can add your own designs on it, etc.

I'll look at the price difference I guess. A friend of mine and I are working on our first game, so maybe we'll make ourselves a custom console box through 3D to celebrate it. And sorry for the double post, still figuring out this forum. Thanks for the help guys!

Eucrow
02-19-2014, 03:35 PM
After taking a quick look at the BDG webpage, their prices are most likely cheaper than using one of the services I mentioned.

Another alternative if you're in a major city would be to look up hacker/tinker spaces. The ones in NYC rent time on their laser cutters, which usually turns out to be pretty cheap.

gopackersjt
02-19-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm from the Cleveland area, but go to college in a different area. I'll see what I can found around my parents house, but I'm gonna tweak the case design and figure out what it would cost me. I really hope the Ouya 2 has a plastic case...

Killswitch
02-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Guessing it will be plastic after the discovery of cost, etc.

gopackersjt
02-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Turns out one of my good friends aunt has a 3D printer. I guess I solved my own problem. Thanks guys!

Killswitch
02-20-2014, 03:37 AM
Wow...can't believe you made us work so hard to get answers.
One of us could have strained a finger or something typing that up :p

Hope that printer solves your issue. If not, you do have options.

gopackersjt
02-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Ya, I'm still looking into other options though. I'd have to drive a few hours to get to the printer, so it might still be worth going through a service.