PDA

View Full Version : Which file system to use for an external hard drive?

Lewis Nguyen
11-10-2012, 07:41 AM
I have an external hard drive with all my videos on it and it is an NTFS hard drive. Will soon get a new one and transfer the files over as that one is starting to fill up. Now I am planning on using my OUYA as a media center with that new hard drive attached to it. I think Android doesn't support NTFS natively but it does support FAT32. I want to avoid using FAT32 though as I think NTFS is much better for storing large amounts of files. And I don't plan on using my hard drive as NTFS now and having to format it later because I can't use it with my OUYA. What is the best solution for me? I was thinking of using a NAS but I'm not sure if the OUYA is equipped for that. (Note: I don't really have any experience with NAS)
Also any chance they would upgrade that USB 2.0 port to 3.0?

dr-nix
11-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Android is a linux based operating system. That means that filesystems like FAT32 and NTFS aren't good fits. You should use ext4 or ext3.

ratalaika
11-10-2012, 12:10 PM
But even been linux you can use FAT32 like in the Android phone sd cards... I don't thinks Ext3 or Ext4 will be a good choise because a lot of people use windows will require special tools to work with their SD cards.

dr-nix
11-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I was assuming he was thinking of a dedicated external harddrive (not sd-card).

Jawdy
11-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Linux has no issues reading NTFS or FAT32, as others have pointed out and if the drive is already fully loaded with items, you can just leave it as is :-)

FAT32 has several limitations on file storage, namely the 4GB file size limit and there was a limit on the maximum storage capacity, which I believe can be overcome with some sideways methods and updates to the file system.
Still, out of these two, NTFS would be your better but...

But, as dr-nix has said, if it's a dedicated drive that's only going to be plugged into the OUYA (or some other Linux machine) then you would see a noticeable benefit in switching to an ext based formatting. There are other things that ext based file systems bring to the table, too!

Lewis Nguyen
11-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I hadn't considered ext because my current HTPC is running Windows 7 (it's a laptop). I tried using Ubuntu but had trouble with the drivers and couldn't get sound out of the HDMI port. I haven't tried XBMCbuntu because I need to download torrents and I don't believe there is an add-on for that right now. I've never tried any tools that would allow Windows to read ext. Will I still be able to use my external hard drive as usual with my current HTPC? Also yes this hard drive will be dedicated to the OUYA alone. I want to avoid pluging it in and out constantly to add files.

Ayrik
11-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Android does not support many external drive formats. OUYA is unlikely to support anything other than FAT32, I think. This is based on some google searches I just made. Solid information is pretty hard to come by.

Jawdy
11-11-2012, 11:44 AM
I hadn't considered ext because my current HTPC is running Windows 7 (it's a laptop). I tried using Ubuntu but had trouble with the drivers and couldn't get sound out of the HDMI port. I haven't tried XBMCbuntu because I need to download torrents and I don't believe there is an add-on for that right now. I've never tried any tools that would allow Windows to read ext. Will I still be able to use my external hard drive as usual with my current HTPC? Also yes this hard drive will be dedicated to the OUYA alone. I want to avoid pluging it in and out constantly to add files.

XBMCBuntu simply installs Ubuntu with the XBMC front-end, so you can Ctrl+F1 (I think that's the key command) and drop to a regular desktop, run Synaptic/apt-get and install your favoured client.
Also, I think there are (at least now) torrent clients for XBMC that can be installed as add-ons/plug-ins :-)
(I personally don't use Torrent, so I can't say for certain, but I'm sure I've either seen them in the plug-ins list, or in some threads on XBMC. You may need to add another repo to your apt list, and download the plugin from there :-)

Android does not support many external drive formats. OUYA is unlikely to support anything other than FAT32, I think. This is based on some google searches I just made. Solid information is pretty hard to come by.

Android runs the Linux Kernel, so whatever file formats are supported in there by default will work.
A list I found includes: ext2, ext3, ext4, nfs, yaffs, ramfs, vfat(fat32), yaffs2

We also know that, with the SD Card, if you're planning on plugging that into any other OS, you're better off using NTFS, for the +4GB file support and that it'll work on Windows. But the OP was also asking about an external drive that may remain plugged into the device, so a more native file system could be more appropriate (such as an ext based one).
Although, I have now read that ext4 is not so good for mobile devices - haven't yet read why, but just a heads up :-)

Lewis Nguyen
11-12-2012, 08:01 PM
So should I just get a NAS then? That seems like the best choice assuming that the OUYA will have no problem accessing it. That way I won't have to worry about the drive's file system.

Jawdy
11-13-2012, 10:04 AM
So should I just get a NAS then? That seems like the best choice assuming that the OUYA will have no problem accessing it. That way I won't have to worry about the drive's file system.

That's an awesome option!
Means you can access it from any machine, there's a lot more flexibility and you can choose what NAS you want, rather than worrying about what the OUYA/Android can do :-)

Lewis Nguyen
11-13-2012, 06:14 PM
That's an awesome option!
Means you can access it from any machine, there's a lot more flexibility and you can choose what NAS you want, rather than worrying about what the OUYA/Android can do :-)
Ok. Thanks for your input. =)

Shadowriver
11-22-2012, 06:28 AM
Linux has no issues reading NTFS or FAT32, as others have pointed out and if the drive is already fully loaded with items, you can just leave it as is :-)

FAT32 has several limitations on file storage, namely the 4GB file size limit and there was a limit on the maximum storage capacity, which I believe can be overcome with some sideways methods and updates to the file system.
Still, out of these two, NTFS would be your better but...

But, as dr-nix has said, if it's a dedicated drive that's only going to be plugged into the OUYA (or some other Linux machine) then you would see a noticeable benefit in switching to an ext based formatting. There are other things that ext based file systems bring to the table, too!

FAT32 sux :p and Linux by default only supports read-only NTFS with limited writing support which is overwriting existing files without changing size. NTFS support write support is usally see in linux is NTFS-3g running thru FUSE.... so really you should avoid those systems on Linux.

You can learn windows how to use ext file systems:

http://www.fs-driver.org/

And if you don't plan to remove drive to plug it to PC (you can access it thru network arternativly) thats won't be a problem.

Btw here all file systems that are supported by Linux:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/fs/

Keep in mind some of them are virtual or network file systems, some might have limited support

Jawdy
12-06-2012, 10:18 PM
FAT32 sux :p and Linux by default only supports read-only NTFS with limited writing support which is overwriting existing files without changing size. NTFS support write support is usally see in linux is NTFS-3g running thru FUSE.... so really you should avoid those systems on Linux.

Agree that FAT32 has long past its prime or use! But full NTFS support has been in the Linux Kernel since 2.6, including read/overwrite/resize support - plus the various other options to extend support for NTFS. I do agree that, if kept plugged into the OUYA and nothing else, the EXT would be the best way forward, but since most folks use Windows machines, made the assumption that this disk might need to switch between the OUYA and their normal desktop, hence even suggesting NTFS :-)

dr-nix
12-07-2012, 06:38 AM
If you have a hard time deciding you could just do 2 partitions one in ext if you decide that you want more than 8gb of hdd (to be used for installing games/apps and so on). and then another partition for your various media files and whatnot.

kethinov
03-31-2013, 11:21 AM
I have an ext4 drive and it doesn't seem to work on my Ouya.

dr-nix
03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
kethinov: thats weird, try ext3 that should work.

user82
03-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Linux has no issues reading NTFS

That is correct. The driver for _reading_ NTFS is included into linux for a very long time now.
However it is quite possible that the stock android/ouya kernel does not include this module..
A discussion about the topic on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/1a3oe8/can_ouya_read_and_write_to_an_ntfs_partition/

I have an ext4 drive and it doesn't seem to work on my Ouya.

Android specific Problem, by default usually only ext2 is included.
ext3 is compatible with ext2, you can try it

sandmanfvr
03-31-2013, 02:19 PM
For me working on multiple os's in my career I usually default to fat32. Fat32 has the 4 gig limit but if that isn't an issue fat32 works across all os's. Ntfs is ok but writing to it is ifffy in unix/linux due to Microsoft guarding the ntfs code but if games on ouya are under 4 gigs fat32 will be just fine.

Athlor
03-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Damn, this is gonna suck. I assumed by now the Linux wizards would have figured out NTFS and be capable of reading and writing fluently. Looks like I'm going to have to dual partition my 160gb usb HD. 64 in ext3 for Ouya R/W and the rest NTFS for movies and whatnot downloaded from the PC.

tennisbgc
03-31-2013, 05:10 PM
I had a android box awhile ago that I returned and it was running ics and my ext3 formatted drives wouldn't mount so I hope ouya will.

zeuser
04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Has anyone tried NTFS? Im praying for full support on the OUYA, otherwise I will side load paragon from google play.

user82
04-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Im praying for full support on the OUYA, otherwise I will side load paragon from google play.
I think GPL Requires Ouya to release the kernel source..some dev can surely build one with ntfs support.

zeuser
04-01-2013, 09:55 PM
I think GPL Requires Ouya to release the kernel source..some dev can surely build one with ntfs support.

Okay I hope someone does that, a FAT32 drive is hopelessly outdated, also it makes it hard to import big HD files.

Tinwarble
04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
NTFS should be fine. I have no issues plugging in my 32GB NTFS thumbdrive into my Tegra 2 tablet and reading or writing to it.

For that matter, I haven't seen any issue using my NTFS 1TB WD My Passport drive in Android.

ahoihoi
06-05-2013, 07:12 PM
My NTFS formatted USB 2.0 HDD is working fine with my Ouya.
But my NTFS formatted USB 3.0 HDD isn't working with my Ouya.

Anyone else who has this problem?

edit:
extfat is also not working on my USB 3.0 HDD.

edit2:
fat32 is also not working.
Seems like Ouya won't work with 2,5" USB 3.0 HDDs, which sucks cause I only bought the HDD for my OUYA.

tennisbgc
06-06-2013, 12:03 AM

edit:

edit2:
Seems like Ouya won't work with 2,5" USB 3.0 HDDs, which sucks cause I only bought the HDD for my OUYA.I'm in the same situation as you, I have a seagate 4tb backup plus that uses a 3.0 and ouya cant see it but my 2tb western digital 2.0 is seen fine though I orginally formatted it to ntfs with gparted and ouya couldnt see it so I reformatted it using windows and it was seen.

macharborguy
06-06-2013, 12:17 AM
Why not use exFAT. As far as I know, Windows, MacOS X, Linux, and Android all support it.

ahoihoi
06-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Cause as I already said, extFAT is also not working with my Toshiba HDTB110EK3BA.

MetalFlanger
06-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Not surprising, since the USB port on the OUYA is a 2.0, not a 3.0.

ahoihoi
06-06-2013, 02:47 PM
USB 3.0 is backwards compatible.
The HDD works perfectly fine on my USB 2.0 laptop.

macharborguy
06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Cause as I already said, extFAT is also not working with my Toshiba HDTB110EK3BA.

ah, sorry, didnt see that comment. I did a search for exFAT, not extFAT, so it didnt come up in the page search.

DivinityCycle
06-07-2013, 04:45 AM
Just to clarify something, there's no such thing as "extFat".
ExFAT is a thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

macharborguy
06-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Just to clarify something, there's no such thing as "extFat".
ExFAT is a thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

i was going to say that, but i held off.

stevep
06-28-2013, 03:18 PM

edit:

edit2:
Seems like Ouya won't work with 2,5" USB 3.0 HDDs, which sucks cause I only bought the HDD for my OUYA.

Ouya works fine with my Toshiba Canvio 1TB USB 3.0 (2.5") hard drive. My only issue is that it's formatted NTFS and in read-only mode on the Ouya. Trying to figure out what format I should use.

derty
06-28-2013, 03:25 PM
U need to use FAT32. It's the easiest way to get anything running on ur OUYA and any other device for that matter.
Go here: https://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3589-Formatting-Hard-Drive-to-FAT32
My first post has a link for u to format ur hard drive. Doesn't require any downloading at all. Just make sure ur on ur computer when u use it cuz it won't pull up on phones haha. Also make sure u back up ur shit cuz as I'm sure u know u will lose everything when u format. :) post on the thread ur results if u decide to use my link ;)

Athenademon
06-28-2013, 03:28 PM
well i think i come to the conclusion that my system is broke then cause if some of you are getting the external drive to work but i cant...this sucks

stevep
06-28-2013, 03:55 PM
well i think i come to the conclusion that my system is broke then cause if some of you are getting the external drive to work but i cant...this sucks

Are you hard powering off the Ouya? my drive won't be recognized unless I have the USB cable plugged in before booting up the Ouya, the Ouya has to be totally powered off, not just in sleep mode. Press the power button for 5 seconds to totally power it off (or unplug it).

user82
06-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi all.
I compile a list of working and non working usb media.
Please help gathering information here (https://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3668-USB-issues-Post-your-information-on-them). Thank you!

Nadious
06-28-2013, 08:50 PM
I also had trouble with a few things getting USB cards / External HDDs to work. Here is what I ran across:

1. I don't believe you can 'hot-swap' any device. The device needs to be plugged into the OUYA and then turned on. I haven't been able to switch any drives from one to the other and the OUYA see it, until I rebooted it with the new drive attached upon boot.

2. My USB Drive (can't remember what file format it was running.. it was only 8 gigs) and 120 gig HDD (running NTFS) had no problem being seen on the OUYA. I could access and read media / files off them without any issue.

3. The one thing I DID run into, however, was that an NTFS drive kept giving me 'writable errors' on the drive with certain emulators. When I switch the format of the drives to FAT32, they worked just fine. I'm using a 120 gig HD to store all of my MAME roms and emulator console roms on it.

4. I've heard that non-powered USB drives will not work. (IE: 2.5" drives that are self powered.) My 120 gig HDD is a powered drive. I haven't had a chance to test this out yet, but I'm pretty sure I've read in a few reviews that the non-powered drives tend not to work. Someone can feel free to prove me wrong... and I will be very happy to hear that. :D