PDA

View Full Version : Generations is coming to OUYA

Diablohead
06-23-2013, 02:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QrGZ1U7.png

For the last few years I have been working on a metroidvania style game for iOS, due to work outside of the home and a lot of other things the progress has been slow, I even had to restart the project twice but now, finally I have a solid base to work off and complete :smile-new:

You play as a girl called Nakiti far into the future, a space station around earth get's it's fair share of problems and you end up on an unknown planet.

The first version I plan to release is called The Trial, it's set about an hour in to the main game and features a chunk of the story and areas to adventure around, it will be completely free! with a paid option coming later once I finish the game and it's ready to sell.

Features include:
-Full 60 FPS gameplay (currently on modern phones)
-Original and retro style skills such as super jumps, speed ups, weapon enhancements and explosives to help you explore!
-Original 9 track OST by Satsuma Audio (http://satsu.ma/) (listen to some tracks on SoundCloud (https://soundcloud.com/diablohead/sets/nakiti-generations))
-Artwork drawn by the lovely Judy Jong. (http://joodlez.tumblr.com/tagged/my-art)
-Hours of fun, hopefully!

I still need to test this game on an OUYA and tidy up the pad support before submitting, depending on how long it takes to appear on the store it should be up by July.

Future plans for the OUYA version are more effects and screen filling particles using any extra power not effecting the smooth frame rate, of course.

http://i.imgur.com/4jjhpYA.png
http://i.imgur.com/PW9aeku.png
http://i.imgur.com/yqi2CA9.png

MajesticFlame
06-23-2013, 02:53 AM
I like the art style & I look forward to trying it out. :)

Hydrus
06-23-2013, 04:24 AM
Looks interesting. Reminds me of the ol' PSX day's.

http://medias.gifboom.com/medias/[email protected]

I'll be watching this game.

Luke Brickner
06-23-2013, 06:17 AM
Kool Game, can't wait to see more.

Diablohead
06-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks all, it's been a long and slow process but I feel that it should be a fun experiance, it's been really hard to keep the game at 60 frames per second over it's development.

beowolfschaefer
06-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Looks great. Can't wait to try it out!

AmigaJay
06-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Hey looks really good! Keep at it! I know projects can go on and on but the rewards will be worth it when it's finished!

Diablohead
06-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Both some bad and good news, the bad is that my current build for iOS and PC refuses to work on the ouya and I can't figure out why, even cutting a lot of stuff back it will just hang, i'll keep looking into it.

The good news however is that I have started an ouya/android only engine which so far is running well, it will look no different to the screens in the OP but also feature full pad support better then the iOS version, which was built completely around touch, the ouya version also runs at a better resolution!

I'll keep you all updated as I go.

Luke Brickner
06-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Awesome =)

Chromatose
06-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Looking very nice! Ouya needs some higher quality titles and this looks to be one of them. Will be following this.

SharpHillsStudio
06-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Yeah this game looks freaking awesome! Loving the pixel art style, gonna keep an eye on this one.

Diablohead
06-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Since I have to rebuild the game for OUYA I should release weekly .apk files for the community to leave feedback on, it might help motivate me to finish it since it's taken 2 years to get only so far on iOS I am kind of burned out, the ouya makes me want to release something however.

gunhed
07-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Keep up the hard work, Diablohead. We're rooting for you. :)

Waara
07-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Since I have to rebuild the game for OUYA I should release weekly .apk files for the community to leave feedback on, it might help motivate me to finish it since it's taken 2 years to get only so far on iOS I am kind of burned out, the ouya makes me want to release something however.

This game looks awesome! Looks like the metroidvania game I have wanted since Super Metroid and Shadow Complex =D

How long do you think the game will be?

Once I get my Ouya I would gladly try to help test the game if you want =)

Keep up the awesomeness!! =)

Diablohead
07-02-2013, 11:31 PM
How long will depend on how much I continue to keep working on it, I plan to have about a reasonable chunk of game for the first chapter, then update it over time with extended chapters so it won't be another 2 years before the game is complete :P

DrunkPunk
07-03-2013, 06:38 AM

That would be amazing! The art style looks great and I'd test it out in a heartbeat. Keep us posted!

RiotingSpectre
07-04-2013, 02:00 AM
I'll have to look out for this as it's already got all the necessary tools to be a triple "A" title. Like the punk who is intoxicated said. "Keep up posted".

Irvysan
07-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Nice looking game, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rosse119
07-07-2013, 11:09 AM
This is looking brilliant, when you looking to finish it? If its a massive job you could maybe release one episode at a time and either do a donation per one or charge per episode maybe.

Diablohead
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
This is looking brilliant, when you looking to finish it? If its a massive job you could maybe release one episode at a time and either do a donation per one or charge per episode maybe.

That is my overall plan, you will get free updates to continue the story.

I have not worked in this game for a week because I needed a break, also the iOS beta is in apple's hands right now and waiting to hear if it makes the marketplace or not.

I should be continuing on the ouya version from tomorrow, releasing a test apk should happen fairly often :)

rosse119
07-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Cool, everyone needs a break. I have been meaning to do work on my game for the past 2-3 days but its bloody hot I can't bring myself to do anymore yet.

Jakenut86
07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Looks very good :)

DrDrew
07-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Good graphic style! I'm looking forward to the game!

Waara
08-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi!

Just wanted to hear if you have any updates to share =)

Keep up the good work!

Andrew Vrba
08-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Oooh, looks Metroidy!

Starfighter
08-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Aww, I thought it was Gigawing Generations... :D This looks pretty interesting as well!

Sluup
08-21-2013, 03:07 AM
Great job on this.
Great artworks, graphics, fonts (doesn't look like cheesy Android default fonts :D), and soundtrack.
Really well made.

Candy Cab
08-21-2013, 05:47 AM
I look forward to seeing this hit the store :D

agoe1179
08-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Looking forward to trying this out

Diablohead
09-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Sorry for being silent on this game for so long, been rather busy both with my iOS version and working retail in the week.

My game is being made in a program called Multimedia Fusion and then exporting to devices with choice exporters such as android and iOS, right now the android exporter is rather poor for speed and functions in a different way and this is why there is trouble making my game work on iOS and android at the same time, however this fall there is a big multimedia fusion version which, going by what I have heard and read, improve everything about the runtime and exporters.

I'll be able to do more with this ouya version in a few months time.

Waara
09-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Sorry for being silent on this game for so long, been rather busy both with my iOS version and working retail in the week.

My game is being made in a program called Multimedia Fusion and then exporting to devices with choice exporters such as android and iOS, right now the android exporter is rather poor for speed and functions in a different way and this is why there is trouble making my game work on iOS and android at the same time, however this fall there is a big multimedia fusion version which, going by what I have heard and read, improve everything about the runtime and exporters.

I'll be able to do more with this ouya version in a few months time.

Really happy to hear that this game is still alive =)

Keep up all the great work!

Hydrus
12-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Hey Diablohead, how's production going?

Diablohead
02-01-2014, 06:27 PM
A small bump so don't get too excited.

The android exporter for fusion 2.5 is a big improvement over the old exporter months ago meaning that my game will now actually boot and display on the ouya, but performance is another issue along with unfinished controller commands so you can't do much.

I am spending the next few days trying to get what I have working as playable as possible, the game needs 60fps otherwise a lot of stuff does not flow correctly and i'm in too deep to go back and re-do everything under a different rate, a mistake I should have looked at over a year ago!

If worst comes to worst then it will have to be limited to the ouya 2 or something, but at least then you would get the game in full graphical glory.

MegaManV
02-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Cool to see another fellow MMF user when it comes to game development:encouragement:

Diablohead
02-06-2014, 01:32 AM
So after the last 2 days of looking at how I can improve performance on the ouya the game is now playable but at a sluggish sub 30 fps, I can still improve it but not sure how much.

Resolution is not final but here is two direct captures of the game running on the ouya:

http://i.imgur.com/8CFM9R3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e1KqREg.jpg

undftdroar
02-06-2014, 01:44 AM
This looks pretty damn sick, I hope everything works out and we get to see it on the ouya.

Waara
02-10-2014, 04:40 PM
I am way more excited about this than I should be =D

Really hope you can get it to work as intended on the Ouya! =D

derty
02-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Ya this game is something the ouya needs for sure ;)

Killswitch
02-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Looking good

Outlander999
02-11-2014, 12:30 AM
That seems good!

Hostile_17
02-12-2014, 11:02 AM
I do like the look of the game, & a metroid style game is always a good thing :encouragement:
Hope to see more soon.

takedownmak
02-12-2014, 11:39 AM
i think 30 fps is good imo :) also if you release an apk we can give you some feedback