View Full Version : Safe way to re-do the power switch?

Jay Jeuris Rodriguez
04-14-2014, 04:45 PM

Im not very good at soldering so I need a safe suggestion to do a case-mod . I want to know if I have to remove the power switch and solder two cables in the PCB board & soldier the other end to a switch to have sort of a free floating switch I can put anywhere or can I just leave the switch how it is and just solder 2 cables to the existing connectors of the swiitch and connect it to a duplicate switch & still achive a free floating switch.?

04-14-2014, 08:53 PM

You can just add the wires and the new switch without removing the old one. There will be no issues at all.

04-15-2014, 10:56 PM
I tried this earlier today with a switch that I had laying around. I removed the wires and the switch after a while. The wires are weak and the switch is hard to flip. I only have a tiny gif to share, I have bigger ones but I can't upload them since 5MB is the upload limit on imgur. The OUYA's mobo is on top of my Xbox 360 and the switch is in my hand.


Jay Jeuris Rodriguez
04-16-2014, 07:06 AM
where can I buy a switch , what are they called? a push button switch?

04-16-2014, 07:31 AM
I bought the one I have at Ace Hardware. RadioShack should have them too. I remember I saw them when I bought an LED there a few weeks ago. Usually they have the switches in these drawers with the LEDs, battery holders, etc. There are different type of switches. Some may have four legs, others two (like the one I have). Some may be like a 'flip' type of switch (again, like the one I have - it is called a "bat handle toggle switch" ), others may have a button that you push or they can be like this one switch that I saw, where you twist it like a bottle cap.

The one I have functions weird. The OUYA's default power button responds when the button is pushed once, and it doesn't stay pushed down, it rises back up. To turn the OUYA on with the switch that I have, I have to flip it to 'ON'. If I want to turn it off, I have to flip it to 'OFF' and then 'ON' again so that it can count as a button push. They have different names. I suggest looking through RadioShack's catalog (http://m.radioshack.com/radioshack/catalog.do?cid=1092823), or any other website's catalog to familiarize yourself with that.

04-16-2014, 03:01 PM
The correct term is "momentary contact switch"

04-16-2014, 05:14 PM
The correct term is "momentary contact switch"

We always called them micro switches. :)

If you don't want to buy one you can pull the power or reset switch from an old PC tower (not too old).