Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Copy Ouya from one to another

Hey

I was just wondering if there is a way to copy one Ouya that has apps, games and xbmc installed from one to another. I setup a number of friends and family and rather than do it all manually I was wondering if I can "Clone" the entire Ouya from one to another

thanks

I was reading you can use clockworkmod to back up a tablet, copy the backup to another tablet of the same type with clockwork mod and do a restore from the reycover console.

I do not know if it will work with ouya.

Thanks I will check it out

Did Nitrogen_Wiget's suggestion work?
    Nothing right in my left brain, Nothing left in my right brain.
    http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/forum.php

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

1 members found this post helpful.
    If your device is rooted and you are familiar with ADB and commandline you can use ObackUpYA, I'm going to add some more backup options to it so it can do something like this. I've tried titanium before and could not get it working.

I am not familiar with ADB but looks like I will have to. Know any good tutorials preferably using Wifi. I've been trying to create a zip file of system and app files using Titanium Backup Pro (to upload to Dropbox) but some reason it will not do it. Yes I am rooted.

For ADB, you'll need the Google Android SDK - then ADB comes bundled with it.
    After that, you'll need to put your OUYA in dev mode over WiFi... to do this, go to Manage -> System -> Development -> ADB Over Network and press "O" (then turn this on). (You'll also need the above "ADB: ON")
    You'll also need to hook up your OUYA to your PC and sort out the driver issue with USB (this is well documented here)

In order to use ADB, I'd recommend not just double clicking the exe, but launching a command prompt and go through there.
    Press (and hold) Windows Key + R (for "Run" shortcut)
    In the box, type cmd
    Now type cd <path_to_android_sdk> (where the path is where you installed it. You can start to partially type the folder names, then hit tab to auto-complete. Pressing tab numerous times will cycle through paths with similar names)

Now cd again, only into platform-tools
    And finally you can type dir to give you a list of items in the directory (it's akin to the ls command in *nix).

And from here, you can follow the OBackUpYa tutorial.

Good luck! :-)
    Last edited by Jawdy; 04-04-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Two things, you can actually get away with just using the ADB.exe file and not using the entire sdk. Secondly, in its current form, OBackUpYA will only backup saved games and restore them. It does not backup the contents of "/sdcard/". For a full system backup I would recommend copying that as will to the new OUYA and see what happens.

Best of luck and do tell your results. I have not tried to "image" and OUYA yet, but in theory this should do the trick.

If you would rather hold off a couple of days, I will be tweaking the tool a bit to do all of this in one shot

Ok, I will wait.

Give this a try, the only thing that I have not been able to find is where the OUYA caches apks that you have installed from the store, though it might be that the cache clearing script I used deleted them from my devices.

This version backs up the following places and puts it on the usb drive plugged into the OUYA.
    /etc/init.d /system/xbin /etc/cron.d /system/usr/keylayout /mnt/sdcard /data/data

This covers all the locations that I am aware of that get used, but it may not be exhaustive. This is a new version of ReRoot, not OBackUpYa since that would have been a step in the wrong direction for that app.

Just for clarification, this app does NOT require you to have previously rooted your OUYA, but it does require you to use ADB.

You can use it as follows:
    Code:
    # Turn on network debugging on your OUYA
    # Put the reroot folder on the root of the usbdrive

adb connect OUYAIPHERE
    adb shell
    su
    cd /mnt/usbdrive/reroot
    sh reroot.sh
    From there you will be prompted with a menu:
    Code:
            echo "###############################################################################"
            echo "###                          What do you want to do?                        ###"
            echo "###############################################################################"
            echo "###  1) Create Image                                                        ###"
            echo "###  2) Restore Image                                                       ###"
            echo "###  x) Return to main menu                                                 ###"
            echo "###                                                                         ###"
            echo "###  NOTE: Pleast make sure you do not have any mountpoint from a USB drive ###"
            echo "###        or network location active as it make become part of the backup! ###"
            echo ""
            read "inputinstallchoice?What do you want to do (1,2,x): "
    press "1" and then just wait for it to do its thing, you will know it is done when you see a message like this:
    echo Done, image saved to /mnt/usbdrive/ouya-0.tar

Then to restore the image do the same as listed above except on this step do restore at this step, make sure you have the USB drive in the destination drive as well! Until I can find where the OUYA keeps the APK files you use from the store, you are best to install the apps/games onto the OUYA that you had on the source OUYA.

Please let me know if you have any issues
    Last edited by Eldon.McGuinness; 04-05-2015 at 02:18 PM.