Close
Advertise Here
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by big10p View Post
    True, although I don't think there is artwork for every game - but I may be wrong. Also, I couldn't find anywhere to download decent artwork packs. The one I did download only had artwork for a few less than about 50 games - most of which I never play.
    No there isn't, but as someone said below mr do's arcade has 887 games with artwork, some good, some not so good! But you cant download in one big file, you can other mame artwork, ,marquees etc but not layout files with all the images in one, well not that i can find so far.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhuffman View Post
    This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I just started playing with artwork the other night, but I can't make it show up on mine. Is there something that has to be enabled to make the artwork zips in the artwork folder show up when you launch a game?
    MAME should automatically display artwork when it finds a valid artwork zip file. You can turn artwork elements on/off from the MAME menu, under 'video options'. However, this is usually enabled by defauly so, I suspect, your .lay file could be invalid. .lay files are actually just simple XML files. If it's just bezel artwork you want to display, there's this nifty script that creates the .lay file code for you:
    http://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_lay.php

Also, this is a good introduction to .lay files:
    http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php...asics_-_Part_I

Quote Originally Posted by AmigaJay View Post
    No there isn't, but as someone said below mr do's arcade has 887 games with artwork, some good, some not so good! But you cant download in one big file, you can other mame artwork, ,marquees etc but not layout files with all the images in one, well not that i can find so far.
    No, I couldn't find one either, which if partly the reason why I decided to try and make my own.

Posts merged. Please use the edit button and don't double post. Thanks. -Schiz
    Last edited by Schizophretard; 01-31-2014 at 12:47 PM.

is there any collection to download? i'd like to have a standard theme i could use for all games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat1986 View Post
    is there any collection to download? i'd like to have a standard theme i could use for all games.
    Not that I know of, but it would be better to just implement the default horizontal/vertical artwork to MAME, as AmigaJay links to here:
    http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post104775

thx.

Quote Originally Posted by big10p View Post
    MAME should automatically display artwork when it finds a valid artwork zip file. You can turn artwork elements on/off from the MAME menu, under 'video options'.
    Thanks -- some of them do seem to be working, but not all. I got them all from Mr. Do. I will do more investigating. The files presented here look AWESOME, but many of the other files make the game portion so small (for the cocktail style artwork all around) that I can't really see the game very well on my 32" TV ;-) But still -- very cool!

As to getting a full set, I did a batch download from Mr. Do's site using some terminal commands on my Mac. It's clunky, but it worked. Here is what I did. From a Unix style terminal (needing commands "curl", "sed", "grep" and "xargs"), create a directory and change in to it:

alsmb:~ allenh$ mkdir ~/Desktop/artwork
    alsmb:~ allenh$ cd ~/Desktop/artwork
    alsmb:artwork allenh$

1. Get the "full listing HTML" page (http://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artw...e.php?p=a#here) either by viewing it in a browser and "Save As..." the HTML file, or using the "curl" command which will download an HTML file like this:

curl mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_ingame.php?p=a#here >artwork.html

This puts a file called "artwork.html" there I can sort through to find the actual .zip file paths.

2. I then filter though the file looking for just the lines that refer to the artwork zip files, and put that in a second file called artwork2.html:

grep .info/artwork artwork.html >artwork2.html

3. I then filter that file through a string editor command that basically cuts off everything at the start and the end of the line leaving just the URL to the actual .zip file:

sed 's/.*href="\(.*\)">mirror1.*/\1/' artwork2.html > artwork.txt

(If you prefer downloading the files from the second mirror2 link, change "mirror1" to "mirror2" above. This command scoops up everything up to the first href=" and then finds the actual path to the zip file, up to where the link ends with ">mirror1...)

This gives me artwork.txt which just contains the file references:

http://www.progettoemma.net/mw/czeroize.zip
    http://www.progettoemma.net/mw/zookeep.zip
    http://www.progettoemma.net/mw/zupapa.zip
    http://www.progettoemma.net/mw/zzyzzyxx.zip

4. And then I can make it run a "curl" command to download each file:

cat artwork.txt | xargs -I {} curl -O {}

Or, to do it in one line:

curl mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_ingame.php?p=a#here | grep .info/artwork | sed 's/.*href="\(.*\)">mirror1.*/\1/' | xargs -I {} curl -O {}

This will crank for awhile and download, one file at a time (to not overload the server), 1.79GB of artwork files:

-rw-r--r-- 1 allenh staff 2874320 Jan 31 22:52 10yard.zip
    -rw-r--r-- 1 allenh staff 454656 Jan 31 22:53 gtmr.zip
    ...and so on...

There is probably a more elegant way to do this using Unix commands, but this is just what I threw together quickly.

-- Allen
    Last edited by allenhuffman; 02-02-2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: updating the example commands

If he cant add it to mame4droid, the other way i just remembered is to use mame2010 in retroarch which uses the same romset, retroarch allows overlays and shaders on any core it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhuffman View Post
    Thanks -- some of them do seem to be working, but not all. I got them all from Mr. Do. I will do more investigating. The files presented here look AWESOME, but many of the other files make the game portion so small (for the cocktail style artwork all around) that I can't really see the game very well on my 32" TV ;-) But still -- very cool!
    Indeed, that's why for my own artwork I decided to keep the game screen at full height for vertical games. I was originally going to have a little bit of bezel art display above and below the game screen, but found the scaling and/or scanlines didn't play so nice. For horizontal games, I'm going to keep the same size game screen, just rotated horizontally. This will keep everything consistent and allow me to show some top/bottom bezel art on horizontal games.

Good job on the batch download, too.

If he cant add it to mame4droid, the other way i just remembered is to use mame2010 in retroarch which uses the same romset, retroarch allows overlays and shaders on any core it runs.
    I haven't tried Retro Arch yet. Will do this afternoon.

[edit]

OK, tried Retro Arch but not too impressed, to be honest. Control is awful at times, or seemingly non-existent! I get slowdown with basic shaders, yet Retro Arch runs silky smooth on my Android TV stick - and that is just dual core with inferior Mali GPU.

Yeah retroarch can be funny, it needs things like wifi etc turned off, i have noticed sometimes its slow if its been on a while so i reboot and its ok again.
    Anyway ive downloaded 10 or so artwork packs from mr do's site and whilst i like the artwork it takes too much of the screen up and you cant read what some of it says anyway, and if you scale larger it just looks worse, so if nobody can work out a standard overlay without altering the gamescreen size then ill pass on this and leave as it is.

Yeah retroarch can be funny, it needs things like wifi etc turned off, i have noticed sometimes its slow if its been on a while so i reboot and its ok again.
    Anyway ive downloaded 10 or so artwork packs from mr do's site and whilst i like the artwork it takes too much of the screen up and you cant read what some of it says anyway, and if you scale larger it just looks worse, so if nobody can work out a standard overlay without altering the gamescreen size then ill pass on this and leave as it is.
    One thought would be to go through all the Mr. Do artwork, and crop the top and bottom off where the screen is. The end result would be a full frame graphic with the tops and bottoms clipped off, and whatever extends too far left/right missing. I think that would be a fine compromise. It seems the cropping could be done fairly easily in a program like GraphicConverter on the Mac, but I will have to take a look at the XML in the .lay files and see if it would be easy to adjust the values there in a similar way.