Close
Advertise Here

View Poll Results: What should the next generation of OUYA called?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • OUYA 2.0

4 17.39%
  • OUYA II

9 39.13%
  • OUYA 2

7 30.43%
  • OUYA 2014

1 4.35%
  • Others, suggest in the comments!

2 8.70%
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

This is a good reason we need T4 or more:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comment...d_on_ouya_now/
    Our game Black Hole - A Classic Arcade Dual-Stick Space Shooter
    Available in the OUYA store now!
    Killswitch - "There are 302,456 OUYAs out there, now no one will have to ask again."

1 members found this post helpful.
    K1, nuff said...
    My released games on OUYA: Dark Space Rings
    Download Now!

I'd like blue tooth to not affect wifi

Android TV with Ouya Everywhere

I highly doubt Google is going to call their boxes OUYA 2...

OUYAForum Devotee Victor Coleiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azsouthendzone View Post
    Android TV with Ouya Everywhere

Lets explore your idea for a minute. Lets say the Ouya 2 comes out with ATV and Discover. For it to run the ATV games, the Ouya controller will need to be compatible with the ATV controller. That's one issue, it maybe, it may not be. Lets go further and assume it is compatible.

So here is an Ouya 2 with ATV and Discover on it. Your a developer, what do you publish your game to? Simple ATV only, why , because publishing to ATV would have your game popup on all ATV consoles and the Ouya 2. So why would they also post the game to the discover store, there is no incentive to do so at all. You would end up with no further games being published to the discover store . Remember that's where Ouya makes there money. On top of that, sales would be lost by people then buying controller based games from the ATV store - result, discover also loses sales. The Ouya business model of making money off games in the discover store, then eventually collapses .

In realistic terms, that's why you wont see a O2 with ATV on it along with discover. It either wouldn't be compatable controller wise or It would kill the discover store and Ouya inc.

You could say, why not just launch an O2 with ATV then and sell it at a HW profit. Ok , then it becomes another ATV console at a price point on par or probably worse than its bigger higher volume ATV console competitors.

Now this differs from Ouya trying to get Ouya Everywhere on ATV consoles. Of course they are going to try and get there store snuck into someone elses supermarket, its nothing but win for them. Whether they can pull that off, will have to see.

Victor, I see what you are saying, but the scenario you describe where devs publish to Google Play instead of Ouya is already a problem so to speak. Ouya doesn't get a lot of the big names as is.

What Discover can be and how it can survive is that it's the store where the up and comer gets their shot, free of the red tape that so many describe when developing for the big boys. You can find the Amazing Frogs, the Towerfalls, ect. It doesn't need to compete with the Leo's Fortune, Dead Triggers, and Minecrafts.

Ouya has some brand equity. People are going to buy Android TV for gaming and a variety of reasons as well. I am buying one, but I would buy the Ouya 2 over an Asus, Razer, or whatever else is out there if that one had Discover.

Just my two cents. You can't stop what's coming. But you can be a part of it if done the right way.

OUYAForum Devotee Victor Coleiro's Avatar

Some Devs possibly publishing to Discover instead of Google play is for more reasons than simplicity. Its not that hard to get your game on the Play Store. In fact its quite simple relatively.
    The reasons some devs have chosen Ouya and discover is because its a console designed solely for controller based games on the TV. The Play Store is designed and has games designed for phones and tablets with no controller. That's why devs who make controller games would be swayed to the discover store and Ouya.

Now , you said it yourself, your own words, the ATV store will be for games designed for the TV and controller. The issue of above is removed , that's why It wouldn't be a good idea for Ouya to have the ATV store, it would be a direct competitor that is attracting the same type of devs who want to build controller supported TV games.

I think in all honesty, if you think about what I'm saying, you know deep down that its the likely truth. OF course there is all likely hood that the controllers wouldn't be compatible anyway.

Of course it would be nice from a user perspective, but it would kill Ouya with almost 100% likly hood

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azsouthendzone View Post
    Victor, I see what you are saying, but the scenario you describe where devs publish to Google Play instead of Ouya is already a problem so to speak. Ouya doesn't get a lot of the big names as is.

What Discover can be and how it can survive is that it's the store where the up and comer gets their shot, free of the red tape that so many describe when developing for the big boys. You can find the Amazing Frogs, the Towerfalls, ect. It doesn't need to compete with the Leo's Fortune, Dead Triggers, and Minecrafts.

Ouya has some brand equity. People are going to buy Android TV for gaming and a variety of reasons as well. I am buying one, but I would buy the Ouya 2 over an Asus, Razer, or whatever else is out there if that one had Discover.

Just my two cents. You can't stop what's coming. But you can be a part of it if done the right way.
    It's a tough sell to get any company to include a competing store. Some ATV boxes might include both because, like MOJO, they're just selling the hardware and don't really care where you buy the games. Other than that, I expect the eventual choice will be whether to get an Android TV and side load OUYA Everywhere, or get an OUYA and side load Google Play for Android TV. Not a bad scenario.
    Last edited by flamepanther; 07-18-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flamepanther View Post
    It's a tough sell to get any company to include a competing store. Some ATV boxes might include both because, like MOJO, they're just selling the hardware and don't really care where you buy the games. Other than that, I expect the eventual choice will be whether to get an Android TV and side load OUYA Everywhere, or get an OUYA and side load Google Play for Android TV. Not a bad scenario.
    Not bad at all. I'm just thinking this is a major opportunity for almost a rebranding, introducing Ouya to a second audience. I'm amazed at how many people haven't heard of it still but I think if they did they would be interested.

For me I would choose Android TV (when I see ATV I think Apple TV) simply because I want that UI and casting but having OE sideloaded if needs be would be a great addition and would be one less decision to make.