Close
Advertise Here

View Poll Results: What should the next generation of OUYA called?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • OUYA 2.0

4 17.39%
  • OUYA II

9 39.13%
  • OUYA 2

7 30.43%
  • OUYA 2014

1 4.35%
  • Others, suggest in the comments!

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Let's talk OUYA 2. What would you like to see?

It's been over a year since the OUYA was released. What do you think the OUYA 2 should have to better succeed next year. Sound it off!
    Meanwhile, here's my suggestion,

==UPDATED 25/10/2014==
    Android 5.0 Lollipop
    NVIDIA Tegra K1
    Quad-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A15
    192 CUDA cores, 364 GFLOPS @ 950 MHz
    32 GB flash memory
    2 GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Bluetooth LE 4.0
    2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n
    2 x USB 2.0
    1 x microUSB 2.0
    1 x Ethernet 10/100
    1 x HDMI 1.4

Est. release: Q2 2015
    RRP: US$129 - US$149
    Last edited by haikallp; 10-25-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: updated specs

A freaking SD card slot for starters,

OUYAForum Devotee Victor Coleiro's Avatar

Pretty sure it will be later than April, probably Sept-Oct 2014

I'd like to see a Tegra 5 , SD / uSD slot + External WiFi Antennae

yeah, that's a great idea but external usb drive has solved the limited storage problem for me

Re: Let's talk OUYA 2. What would you like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Coleiro View Post
    I'd like to see a Tegra 5
    This. When OUYA 2 launches it should have tegra 5
    “Casi siempre, la vida del ser humano es repugnante. Los videojuegos son lo único que la hacen soportable.”
    Almanake de Anorak
    Capítulo 91, vesículos 1-2

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

I voted,"Others, suggest in the comments!". I wouldn't mind 2.0 being the model number but I would prefer every generation to just be named "OUYA". I rather it have more of an appearance of being one console that is constantly evolving like the controller instead of being a brand new console. It would just be one console that gets upgraded yearly instead of a new generation. That way, ten years from now instead of saying,"OUYA has survived ten generations!" We could say,"OUYA has been a successful console for ten years!"

Anyway, what I would like to see is them making the next iteration focus on keeping the price at $99. Within that price point I would like them to focus on fixing any hardware issues OUYA 1.0 has first and if they can solve all those issues for under $99 then they fit in the higher specs that would make people think of it more of an OUYA 2.0. This goes along with my naming thing above. I don't like the idea of jumping from OUYA 1.0 with its issues to OUYA 2.0 with its own hardware issues. I would prefer more of a evolving transition from one to the other and if that transition can be done in one year then that would be great but if it takes two years that would be fine too. In other words, I rather see more things like fixing WIFI, fixing the ventilation problem, replacing USB 2.0 with USB 3.0, more internal space, and so forth before worrying about going from Tegra 3 to Tegra 4. OUYA 1.0 not being an OUYA 2.0 isn't one of OUYA 1.0 issues. There are still all kinds of games yet to be ported to it, games that are being developed for it now, and the FTGF for it doesn't even end until almost a year from now. I don't think there will be any shortage of OUYA 1.0 games for a while and that most developers will be pushing its limits any time soon. The games are coming. They come weekly. The issues with OUYA 1.0 that can only be solved with hardware upgrades should be focused on first and OUYA 2.0 games second while trying to keep the price at $99 dollars while it evolves to the point of having OUYA 2.0 games. It doesn't have to exactly be $99 but the point is I want them to focus on keeping it cheap, evolving yearly as just an OUYA, and increasing the specs for the games to be thought of as OUYA 2.0 games only after all the other issues are solved first. The same with going from OUYA 2.0 to OUYA 3.0 games. To put it another way, I would rather the next OUYA to be more of an OUYA 1.5 than an OUYA 2.0 if the iteration would be an expensive OUYA 2.0 that still has OUYA 1.0 issues or an even more expensive OUYA 2.0 that fixes OUYA 1.0 issues.

The only thing I want to see is 100% backwards compatibility. I don't want to buy an OUYA 2 to keep making games for OUYA/OUYA 2. I have an OUYA "1" now that plays the game we're developing just fine, and I want it to work on all future versions of the OUYA.

Personally I would like to see -

1. Backwards Compatibility

2. Tegra 4 Processor

3. At least 2 GB of Ram (Maybe More?)

4. More Awesome!

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nooskewl View Post
    The only thing I want to see is 100% backwards compatibility. I don't want to buy an OUYA 2 to keep making games for OUYA/OUYA 2. I have an OUYA "1" now that plays the game we're developing just fine, and I want it to work on all future versions of the OUYA.
    That should be a given. If there isn't 100% backwards compatibility then an OUYA 2.0 shouldn't even be considered for a long time. As a retro video game collector backwards compatibility is really important to me. Hooking up all my consoles would take up an entire wall up to the ceiling, be a fire hazard with all of the wires, require a lot of a/v switch boxes, and more than one TV(HD/CRT). I wish companies always had backwards compatibility where possible. Even if that meant making a version that didn't have it as the standard model and a much more expensive premium version that did.

For an indie developer like yourself it is even more important than my convenience of wanting less consoles that play more games. For you, only having one year at most for a game to make a profit is ridiculous. Your games shouldn't seem dated after just a year. An OUYA 1.0 game should be an OUYA 2.0, 3.0, 4.0,... game. If they would do something so stupid to not have backwards compatibility then they should at the very least make these cube consoles like LEGO's that hook together to eventually make one big cube console that makes everyone feel the OCD need to collect them all.