Close
Advertise Here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    OUYA Developer
    Chats

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    -->
    Ayrik: I tried emailing them and just got an answer that they don't have any left :-( Seems like I went to all the trouble to get the money for it for nothing. The day I finally get it, it runs out of stock >.< Murphy laws in action.

Just got a dev console. My buddies and I angel-backed Ouya and formed a sort of stealth game dev studio. We hope to launch two games on Ouya. We're not sure if we'll make the March deadline though.

Here are our initial impressions of the console's user experience:

The Ouya OS is very very buggy right now, but I'm sure they're working on that. There's a big banner on the main screen after booting that warns that the firmware is pre-release and will have bugs. When it boots there appears to be some debug text in the top left corner before the splash screen shows up. Notably, boot time was quite long. Perhaps 20 or 30 seconds or so.

Pairing the bluetooth controllers with the OS was a painful experience. We couldn't get them to work until we plugged in the mouse to click "yes" on the "do you want to pair this controller" dialog. And we couldn't get the mouse to work when we plugged it in until we rebooted the console.

The game/app selection screens are very nicely designed. Pretty minimalist, but clear and easy to navigate with the controller.

We're definitely impressed with the controllers in general. We have some concerns about how much pressure is required to press the power button and the back L/R buttons though. Other than that they're damn impressive.

Many of the settings screens are standard Android 4.x settings screens. I'm hoping they replace those with something sexier before launch.

We couldn't figure out how to connect the console to wifi with just a mouse and a controller. We're going to run another test later with a USB keyboard plugged in. We're still trying to figure out how to get a workflow going that will allow us to rapidly iterate from test build -> transfer to console -> test play.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer.

Thanks everyone for being Ouya enthusiasts and early adopters. This console will only thrive with a strong, enthusiastic community. Let's make the most of it
    Last edited by kethinov; 12-29-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Ouya Devotee
    Chats

Thanks for that, all those bugs are to be expected as they have been concentrating on getting the hardware ready! The software will come.
    Is there a place to report these bugs yet?

I tried the ODK on a small Android Stick PC (mk802) and couldn't get the thing to work, the framework package wouldn't install and the launcher just sat "contacting Ouya Servers" for ever.
    Even worse that stick doesn't do bluetooth so making pads work on it is impossible. Looks like its Emulator only for me for now.

Some more impressions:

- Using the controller's touchpad as a mouse cursor is pretty clunky feeling.
    - Typing using the controller's touchpad (as a mouse cursor on the on screen keyboard) is a very painful experience. I'm really hoping there's a more elegant solution for typing before launch.
    - I couldn't get a USB keyboard to work.
    - The HDMI connection to my TV flickers frequently. I'll try fiddling with it to get it to see if I've got a bad connection.

Doing a firmware update now.

Edit: I just stumbled on the custom on-screen keyboard designed to work with the controller while trying to login to my account. Awesome keyboard interface. Unfortunately logging in doesn't seem to work yet.
    Last edited by kethinov; 12-29-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by kethinov View Post
    Notably, boot time was quite long. Perhaps 20 or 30 seconds or so.
    I only noticed that amount of time the very first time I booted it up. Also, just pressing the power button will do the same as pressing the standby button on a phone/tablet, and will use minimal power, and will "boot" up instantly, directly into your last game, right where you left off (just like a phone/tablet).

Pairing the bluetooth controllers with the OS was a painful experience. We couldn't get them to work until we plugged in the mouse to click "yes" on the "do you want to pair this controller" dialog. And we couldn't get the mouse to work when we plugged it in until we rebooted the console.
    I did not have this experience, the first controller paired in the initial startup screen instantly for me, and the mouse did as well. You can see this working in the video I will post the link to below.

We're definitely impressed with the controllers in general. We have some concerns about how much pressure is required to press the power button and the back L/R buttons though. Other than that they're damn impressive.
    Same here. Though I would add that any amount of bump to the controller seems to knock the batteries out of place and I have to take the cover off and push the battery back in. I really like the magnetic cover for the batteries, and their placement is well balanced.

We couldn't figure out how to connect the console to wifi with just a mouse and a controller. We're going to run another test later with a USB keyboard plugged in.
    The mouse worked perfectly for me. You can see this in my video.

Without further ado, here are the links to my videos:
    Unboxing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNeQ2AGUWZw
    Running - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrpl87-6fy4

Hi,

could anyone please post the "bogomips" of the Tegra?

Most of you might not have heard the term, but the number is a really really small benchmark done by the linux kernel on booting your android device, so it basically allows to tell whether or not the thing is overclocked!

You can either use a terminal emulator and do "cat /proc/cpuinfo" or you can use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...heep.asi&hl=de

Thank you very much

Jakob