Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ouya vs Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi on Linux 25$/35$

vs

Ouya on Android 99$
    www.konzole-slovenija.com

I'm not sure what comparison you're going for, I just see some images?

They're both cheap items aimed at a similar market, one is more consumer/gamer focused though (as it actually comes in a case) and has a controller etc.

It's very similar concept, smal, open and cheap...
    www.konzole-slovenija.com

That's not Ouya's board, Ouya only has 1 USB port and no audio-out ports...plus it's small and square.
    Last edited by Dreamzle; 12-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.

The Raspberry is a device for geeks who want a cheap Linux - Plattform

The Ouya is for gamers.

Its that simple

I would not compare the Ouya to a Mediacenter either even if both would have Android
    www.ouya-unleashed.de

1 members found this post helpful.
    I own a Raspberry Pi and I can assure you that the Ouya will destroy it in raw computing power. Gaming is not, at all, a focus for the Raspberry Pi and that much was apparent with the selection of hardware. The CPU on the Pi is wonderful for video decoding and basic computing, while the Ouya has a significantly faster and more modern chip made for gaming. Not to mention the memory gap (Pi with 512MB on my ModelB and OUYA with 1GB).

If your goal is to have a media player, the Pi is definitely a financially smarter investment. XBMC doesn't use the hardware acceleration on Tegra3 (last I heard) which means the Pi will play movies better, but the Pi will fall very short when it comes to gaming while the OUYA will have no problem running some quality looking games (Shadowgun etc.).

The RaspberryPi CPU is a single core Arm v6 at 700MHz. While the Ouya is a quad core Arm v7 at 1600MHz. Also while the Ouya has 1GB of 800 MHz DDR3-1600 I imagine the RAM stick could be easily swapped for a 2GB or possibly up to 4GB yourself. I think the CPU is 32bit so I don't think any more than 4GB of RAM could be addressed? With 4GB of RAM 1080p resolution and a decent web-browser, if you had a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Then it'd be as good as any Atom nettop for web-browsing. You could probably install the Chrome-OS then it'd be good as a very cheep Chromebox

I seriously doubt you could swap out the RAM, there is no stick - it's not the same kind of RAM used in PC, it's some chips soldered onto the PC board.

Yeah but weren't they making the Ouya easy to open to enable hardware modding?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Holt View Post
    Yeah but weren't they making the Ouya easy to open to enable hardware modding?
    I would like to know what hardware mods we will be able to do that does not require soldering. I do not think that has ever been answered by OUYA. If it has please forgive my ignorance and point me to where it has been addressed.