Close
Advertise Here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

That's an interesting idea, but would be hard to setup as unit could simply stay in the warp exit to block it. You will understand what I mean when you'll play a few battles of the game.
    Anyway, I'll keep it in mind
    Play Sticky Sticky and Isomeva (Beta) on OUYA

Quote Originally Posted by caou View Post
    That's an interesting idea, but would be hard to setup as unit could simply stay in the warp exit to block it. You will understand what I mean when you'll play a few battles of the game.
    Anyway, I'll keep it in mind
    I know what you mean, if the enemy blocks the warp tile, the player would be stuck on the land as there would literally be no way out. Hmm...

Played the game last night. One game against "Caou" and one against "Cami". Is that you guys the developers, or the AI or some random other people? Wasn't very clear

Anyway, took notes and here is what I found:

- Edit Team -> Add Move Points has typos in it

- At the start of tutorial, having the "James' Turn" bubble pop up was confusing, since I was already half way through reading the instructions box on the left when it appeared, and didn't have time to read what the "Your Turn" bubble was saying. In the end I restarted the game and tutorial just to find out

- Navigation needs analogue stick support. I prefer to use analogue sticks whenever I can anyway, but I also have one of the early devkit controllers, which has a horrible d-pad (just like the xbox 360 dpad), that feels horrible to play with and move around menus with.

- Tutorial birds chirping / background noises doesn't loop (or stopped after about 5 minutes)

- As well, probably the individual chirping noises need to be less frequent / more occasional, rather than constant.

- Menu button is not a good idea as an end turn button. It's too easy to accidentally hit it twice and quit the game. Also, the usual convention / standard is for a single tap of the menu button to open an in-game menu (which is something else that's missing or I couldn't find: A way to quit out of the current battle I'm in back to the main menu)

- With the "Turn" message / bubble, if you have a really long username, such as mine, "Spoonthumb", then the "turn" bit gets cut off the end. So it kept saying "Spoonthumb's tur". I suggest you put "turn" on a new line / below the username, so that even if a really long username gets cut off, people can still see the message says it's their turn

- AI on the tutorial at various times doesn't make any moves and seems a bit dumb

- Would be nice to have a second team member in the tutorial, or maybe a second map/level in the tutorial where it is 2 on 2 and teaches you about how to switch between players. Also lacking in the tutorial was how to use the steps. I found when I played "winter is coming", I made mistakes where I went down the steps but then couldn't get back up the same way.

- Need a noise and/or visual indication to signal when you can't do something. So for example, when I've run out of moves, maybe make the tile selector go red. Then if I try to hit "move" or "ok" when I'm in move mode, it makes an "IIIRRRR!" noise, and the empty / depleted move icons / circles / dots next to my team member flash

- There is also a bug where in the tutorial, when it goes back to being your turn again, the "moves/pushes" dots stay black and don't turn back to yellow straight away. Instead, it's only once you've moved or pushed that they refresh back to what they should be

Some suggestions also

- It'd be nice to see whose battle you are about to join, and get to at least see there name before making a decision on whether to accept the match.

- It'd be good if you could check the board while you wait for the other player to make their move. Obviously you can't see what moves they are making until they've completed their turn, but still be nice to think about what strategies and moves you could use, rather than sitting their staring at the refresh button

- Also, maybe longer term, being able to record battles, share them with friends and learn strategies and battles from watching games of other players

Finally, I think this game would work great on mobile with push notifications telling you when it's your turn in battle. But there isn't really an equivalent system on OUYA, so wondering how you get the players to essentially not forget about games in progress (and/or abandon them, leaving the other player in limbo)
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Thank you for your feedback James,

Played the game last night. One game against "Caou" and one against "Cami". Is that you guys the developers, or the AI or some random other people? Wasn't very clear
    -I'm alone here, you were playing against my 2 test teams

- Navigation needs analogue stick support. I prefer to use analogue sticks whenever I can anyway, but I also have one of the early devkit controllers, which has a horrible d-pad (just like the xbox 360 dpad), that feels horrible to play with and move around menus with.
    - will add support for the analog sticks

- Tutorial birds chirping / background noises doesn't loop (or stopped after about 5 minutes)
    - to be fixed in next demo

- Menu button is not a good idea as an end turn button. It's too easy to accidentally hit it twice and quit the game. Also, the usual convention / standard is for a single tap of the menu button to open an in-game menu (which is something else that's missing or I couldn't find: A way to quit out of the current battle I'm in back to the main menu)
    -menu button simply opens the menu here. then you press O to end your turn

- With the "Turn" message / bubble, if you have a really long username, such as mine, "Spoonthumb", then the "turn" bit gets cut off the end. So it kept saying "Spoonthumb's tur". I suggest you put "turn" on a new line / below the username, so that even if a really long username gets cut off, people can still see the message says it's their turn
    -to be fixed in next demo

- AI on the tutorial at various times doesn't make any moves and seems a bit dumb
    -I gree AI is dumb, just here to make you discover the push action

- Would be nice to have a second team member in the tutorial, or maybe a second map/level in the tutorial where it is 2 on 2 and teaches you about how to switch between players. Also lacking in the tutorial was how to use the steps. I found when I played "winter is coming", I made mistakes where I went down the steps but then couldn't get back up the same way.
    -yeah, I plan to improve the tutorial 'lessons'

- Need a noise and/or visual indication to signal when you can't do something. So for example, when I've run out of moves, maybe make the tile selector go red. Then if I try to hit "move" or "ok" when I'm in move mode, it makes an "IIIRRRR!" noise, and the empty / depleted move icons / circles / dots next to my team member flash
    - yeah, I could use a visual / audio warning here

- There is also a bug where in the tutorial, when it goes back to being your turn again, the "moves/pushes" dots stay black and don't turn back to yellow straight away. Instead, it's only once you've moved or pushed that they refresh back to what they should be
    - have to check that one

- It'd be nice to see whose battle you are about to join, and get to at least see there name before making a decision on whether to accept the match.
    - will think about that

- It'd be good if you could check the board while you wait for the other player to make their move. Obviously you can't see what moves they are making until they've completed their turn, but still be nice to think about what strategies and moves you could use, rather than sitting their staring at the refresh button
    - true, I should add this feature

- Also, maybe longer term, being able to record battles, share them with friends and learn strategies and battles from watching games of other players
    - maybe longer term

Finally, I think this game would work great on mobile with push notifications telling you when it's your turn in battle. But there isn't really an equivalent system on OUYA, so wondering how you get the players to essentially not forget about games in progress (and/or abandon them, leaving the other player in limbo)
    - I think there are plans from ouya team to add a 'game center' à la iOS to the system, I will try to get in touch with them

Just sideloaded this game for testing onto my OUYA. Love the concept but a couple questions --

a) I do like that you can have numerous matches going on at the same time but is their a timeout if someone doesnt make a move eventually? Is there a surrender/automatic win if someone doesnt make a move in a certain amount of time?

b) If I close out of this game and play something else, will my matches still be there when I return?
    checked this after posting and the matches are there still when you close out/return!

c) Can you push someone off the map? Attempted this during the tutorial but doubt its an option. Think that would add some great strategy, "dont stand next to the ledge with enemies near!"

This game could really benefit from some music, even if it is very minimalistic music. Those birds chirping drive me nuts for some reason

Cmon people, sideload this game onto your OUYA! It's only a 12mb file but it makes it really hard to test an online turn-based game when theres no other players.
    Last edited by DanTilly; 11-07-2013 at 05:13 PM.

hmm I gotta try this out

EDIT: tutorial makes the game seem like it my be fun unfortunately no battles going on and that damn bird lol can I have a gun to shoot it? ^^

Come on Dan its ur move
    Last edited by Jakenut86; 11-08-2013 at 01:28 AM.

I made my move good sir!

No clue what I'm doing so should be interesting. Going to check now to see if you have made another move before bed, if not I'll make one before work in the morning.

made a move before work and will be home to play about 5:30 , I have no clue what's going on but ill try my best ...wish I could set it somehow to txt my phone when its my go

I've done my turns, waiting for you guys

In reply to Dantilly:

a) I do like that you can have numerous matches going on at the same time but is their a timeout if someone doesnt make a move eventually? Is there a surrender/automatic win if someone doesnt make a move in a certain amount of time?
    Yes I have to implement that. Not sure how long I should allow between turn: 48hours ( 2 days )? 72 hours (3 days )?

c) Can you push someone off the map? Attempted this during the tutorial but doubt its an option. Think that would add some great strategy, "dont stand next to the ledge with enemies near!"
    I have been considering that option, good you brought it up. Not 100% sure about it, but will consider adding it.