Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The OuyaBuntu Hub

Hey guys and gals welcome to The OuyaBuntu Hub! Here, we will talk about the OuyaBuntu platform - Ubuntu for Ouya! The idea is to use Ouya's hardware and supply a free OS to create a $99 full featured PC that can go head to head with the Mac Mini. Like the idea? Go to www.twitter.com/breakingben4eva and retweet my Ouya tweets to help out! Thanks!
    Last edited by OuyaBuntu; 12-12-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: error

I really like the sound of this. My only question is, Will this be a reliable PC? Does the OUYA have enough hardware to really be a decent PC running OUYABuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by batCrazy View Post
    I really like the sound of this. My only question is, Will this be a reliable PC? Does the OUYA have enough hardware to really be a decent PC running OUYABuntu?
    Ubuntu is stable on a single core Pentium 4, albeit not that fast. The quad-core chipset in the Ouya should be enough horsepower to run Ubuntu with few apps open. Storage will need to be worked out but a USB solution should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by batCrazy View Post
    Yes, this will run very fast. Ubuntu for Android will run on the same kernel as Android, and with a plethora of optimizations made specifically for Ouya, OuyaBuntu will compete very closely with Mac Mini.

Thank you for your interest!
    -OuyaBuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dermac View Post
    Ubuntu is stable on a single core Pentium 4, albeit not that fast. The quad-core chipset in the Ouya should be enough horsepower to run Ubuntu with few apps open. Storage will need to be worked out but a USB solution should be sufficient.
    You will certainly have options with USB config and storage. You can just use the internal storage and the conroller, use a flash drive or external HDD and the controller or use a USB hub to hook up external drives with a keyboard and mouse.

Thanks for your interest!
    -OuyaBuntu

I quite like the idea of this. With the mention of Ubuntu for Android, does this mean we will be able to run Ubuntu as an App off an unmodified (still game market accessible) Ouya? I'm personally attached to the idea of running as much of the Ubuntu resources as possible off an external HDD so I can save room for games (assuming both are possible on the same console *crosses fingers*).

I am really looking forward to it...especially thinking about buying an ouya just as desktop pc because it will support everything you need for working!

Quote Originally Posted by user82 View Post
    I am really looking forward to it...especially thinking about buying an ouya just as desktop pc because it will support everything you need for working!
    I was thinking the same

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...for-EVERYTHING

I read the thread link that you posted, and it definitely describes OuyaBuntu's goal: do anything. As an average user, you can do office stuff, a little editing, coding, etc. But the Tegra 3 is extremely powerful...and with root access you can overclock. If you overclock and use a good cooling solution, the possibilities are limetless.

I like Ubuntu. I think it's better than Windows in almost everything. The only thing that kills it is the lack of support. Very few games, apps, etc... when compared to Windows.