Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1 members found this post helpful.

TUTORIAL: All Things Root!

To begin your "Rooted OUYA" journey, you will need the following three APK files...

- Root My OUYA (One click solution)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2387507

- Xposed
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1HM...it?usp=sharing

- Wonder Lee's Mod Collection for OUYA
    [urlhttp://tinyurl.com/mtk7w9d[/url]

You need to get these three apk files to and install on your OUYA. either install them via web browser on your OUYA or download these three apk files onto your PC and install onto your OUYA via USB

Now, before I continue, It has been a while since I've had to do all three parts of this tutorial so please bare with me, some things are fuzzy.

Part 1
    - Open Root my OUYA and click the root button. You may get a popup menu but give it the "OK" and click the root button again. You status should now say "Rooted"

you may or may not have to restart but go ahead and let the app do so

Part 2
    - Open Xposed

- Click Install/Update

- This app might ask for superuser permission. Give it a "YES/always"

- After installation, reboot/

Part 3
    - Open the Mod collection

- OK the Play Store Mod and click "Install Play store". You may be told that you will need to install the zip file "PS4OUYA". Let the app use your browser to send you to the proper webpage, download the file and then go back to the mod collection and finish installing the Play Store

- At this point you may get prompted to "turn on the mod collection". In this case, go back to Xposed and turn on the mod collection (Click "modules up top and find the check box that will be hidden under the text in the upper left hand corner and REBOOT)

- Make your way back to the mod colelction

- Click Emulate MOGA Controller

- Under the App List button, check all Gameloft games you own

- Install Gyroscope Hack/mod

- Click on the MOGA pivot Hack

- Click on Debug Mode (You never know when you need it. Trust me.)

- Reboot

You are now Rooted and have full access to the Google Play Store. Just know that you have to repeat parts of steps 2 and 3 after EVERY OUYA system update!

(\__ _/)___
    (o' . 'o)\ __/
    (")__(")//
    Last edited by LightyKD; 01-03-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

If this brings successful results, I'll make it a sticky

EDIT* Unfortunately I can't do that now that it's in the Guides section(where it belongs), but thanks for the handy guide anyways.

Thanks for this will definitely be doing this

wont let me sign into my google account. says there is already a account with this email on this android device

edit: ok figured it out it had already added the account but didn't go to the store, had to back out of the add account menu and it worked
    Last edited by Jakenut86; 10-15-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakenut86 View Post
    Thanks for this will definitely be doing this

wont let me sign into my google account. says there is already a account with this email on this android device

edit: ok figured it out it had already added the account but didn't go to the store, had to back out of the add account menu and it worked
    Yeah, there are still some weird issues in regards to Google Accounts for instance, you STILL cant login to Google Play Games from this setup and you cant login to Google + (last time I checked) from the app as well as from games. I can still confirm the situation with games but the G+ app situation could have changed. Hell we FINALLY got Google Drive support in the last update

So this looks like the easiest way to root the OUYA. Nice tutorial. Hope it works tonight. How do I prevent-stop automatic updates by OUYA?

---

How do I use the browser in OUYA to download these files to OUYA? Anyone with specific instructions on that?

Please merge posts. Thanks. -Schiz

Just tried this and you can not download the PS4OUYA because it is on some protected page where it is impossible to select the file to download. several advertised programs all surround the download and prevent you from downloading.
    Last edited by Schizophretard; 10-15-2013 at 07:47 PM.

is it possible to download google play games to a memory stick? tried to install NOVA but not enough memory on my OUYA

Quote Originally Posted by Jakenut86 View Post
    is it possible to download google play games to a memory stick? tried to install NOVA but not enough memory on my OUYA
    I left out the part about making a Directory Bind because I thought that the storage beta would be available and talked about by now.

Use the following link to grab the Directory Bind apk and install it onto your OUYA
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...7&d=1326918270

Open directory Bind and follow the instructions in the video. (SKIP TO 05:33, or feel free to look at my lovely face, your choice )

That's it! You should be able to install all the android games your device allows.

HUGE NOTE!
    Some Google Play and Amazon App Store games require for you to have a certain amount of space opened before the game will install. For example Wild Blood requires 2 gigs of internal space to be open before it will even install the two gigs of data onto your external space. Additionally this can be bypassed in some games by simply copying the .apk file from another Android device and installing that .apk onto your OUYA. As long as the SAME Google account in synced to both devices, the license will go through. Some games are an exception *cough* Cordy *cough* Also, MAKE SURE that the version number of the .apk file you are using from your other Android device matches the version number displayed in the Play Store on your OUYA!!!

(\__ _/)___
    (o' . 'o)\ __/
    (")__(")//
    Last edited by LightyKD; 10-16-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Thanks again

I can't seem to get directory bind to work properly.It makes a folder on my Ouya's internal memory called "external sd" with all my games in it.Not on my external's hard drive.I see my external hard drive when I check the storage in the Ouya's dashboard though,but I can't access it.Could you explain it a little clearer?also,what do I do with those games which install in their own dedicated folder(not in the android folder)like The Ball or Wrathborne?

Hey thanks for this tutorial...been tried and tested on my ouya...only one part didn't work for me which was the Play Store Mod : "click "Install Play store"- You may be told that you will need to install the zip file "PS4OUYA". Let the app use your browser to send you to the proper webpage, download the file and then go back to the mod collection and finish installing the Play Store".
    What i did was sideload the "PS4OUYA" apk from XDA and it finally worked like that.