Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The OnLive Tutorial

I know that some of you are interested in using the cloud service from your OUYA console so here's a tutorial.

Things you need

A Broadband connection... this is a MUST. A 2Mbps speed is rquired but honestly 5Mbps is the minimam playable speed

The OnLive client .apk file
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0Pf...it?usp=sharing

A File Browser for your OUYA
    This will be used to install the .apk onto your OUYA

A OUYA or wired XBox 360 controller
    ...quite frankly you're better off with a wired 360 controller

A OnLive Account
    duh!

What to do

1) After you click the apk link either transfer it to your OUYA via USB or your web browser

2) Install the spk onto your OUYA

3) Login with your account

4) Profit!

See?! it's super easy! Now go enjoy OnLive!

NOTE! There are a few games that are NOT available from the Android client.
    • 4 Elements
    • 4 Elements 2
    • Around the World in 80 Days
    • Call of Atlantis
    • Farmscapes
    • Fishdom 2
    • Fishdom H2O
    • Gardenscapes
    • The Lost Inca Prophecy
    • Potion Bar
    • Rise of Atlantis
    • Royal Envoy
    • Royal Envoy 2
    • Bioshock
    • Borderlands
    • Sid Meier’s Civilization V
    • Darkness 2
    • Duke Nukem Forever
    • Mafia II
    • MLB 2K10
    • MLB 2K11
    • NBA 2K10
    • NBA 2K11
    • NBA 2K12
    • Sid Meier’s Pirates!

ALSO: Games that will not be available to new users due to contract issues between OnLive and the publisher

- Batman Arkham Asylum
    - Batman Arkham City
    - Lego Batman
    - Lego Harry Potter

You may see some players having fun with these games on the service but sadly, new users will not be able to play these titles until OnLive 2.0 can get things together with the respective publishers.

(\__ _/)___
    (o' . 'o)\ __/
    (")__(")//
    Last edited by LightyKD; 10-14-2013 at 03:18 AM.

Banned

Pff, can't play civilizations? What use is this xD

Blame it on 2K games.

(\__ _/)___
    (o' . 'o)\ __/
    (")__(")//

you also need to be in a country or position near to onlive servers. otherwise it will be a laggy, pixellated mess.

OUYAForum Regular Negative Zero's Avatar

I keep wanting to make the jump to onlive, but everything I read about it is negative. Kind of like the ouya, now that I think about it. Nice to know this is here, Lighty, whenever I get around to it.

It seems like the official app has issues recognizing the "back/select" button. I know that there's a controller modified version of the Android client. Anybody here using that version on your OUYA? Does it recognize your "back/select" button?

Banned

I thought I'd weigh in here about Onlive. I sideloaded the app, and if I recall used some modded version I found through this forum. Not sure if the modded version is necessary to use the OUYA controller or not. Anyhow, I found the service works fairly well on the OUYA. Problems I have are: some games that require a mouse and keyboard are not playable through the android version due to lag. However, the same games play well on my crappy laptop using the same internet connection. I suppose this is some kind of limitation of the way android handles the mouse. The problem is specifically with the mouse input. Now, my connection isn't the greatest, but it does work well using the laptop. Anyhow, most other games play amazingly well considering the technology. Sometimes the screen blurs a little, but I compare that to Netflix streaming. At times it gets blurry depending on the connection speed. I signed up for the Playpack, and for me it is totally worth it. Yes, the system is far from perfect, but I see a lot of potential. I really, really hope Onlive makes a OUYA specific app. Mainly, the company needs to get more games on there that are ok'd for android. I'd love to play Borderlands on the Ouya through Onlive. How awesome would that be?! My main fear is that they are going to focus on the remote desktop app, and abandon the remote gaming app. my fingers are crossed for an OUYA version of Onlive. If anybody has any questions about the service or games let me know and I will do my best to answer them. Keep in mind that the app is free, signing up is free, and all the games have a 30 minute "demo". If anybody else is using the service, please contact me. I would like to compare some of the problems I am having.

Cheers!

I wanted to add that I highly suggest having a controller with a start button, or a keyboard attached. Otherwise, you can't really access the Onlive dashboard. For those of you who do not have a keyboard or wired controller to attach there is a solution. Make sure you have the option under developer options set to where apps are not killed when you exit. This way you can press the center button of the Ouya controller, it takes you back to the Ouya dashboard, go to the make menu, click on the Onlive app, and when it opens up the Onlive dash will be open, and the game you were playing will be paused. Kind of annoying, but it works. Thanks! Personally, I use a wired Xbox controller to access the Dash, but actually find my OUYA controller works better for gameplay. Weird.

Banned

I use the Ouya controller with a keyboard attatched. Its pretty fun I like the demos. They don't update their games library often. And I don't own the playpack. My friend does and plays it on his ouya though. He enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by Depo78 View Post
    I thought I'd weigh in here about Onlive. I sideloaded the app, and if I recall used some modded version I found through this forum. Not sure if the modded version is necessary to use the OUYA controller or not. Anyhow, I found the service works fairly well on the OUYA. Problems I have are: some games that require a mouse and keyboard are not playable through the android version due to lag. However, the same games play well on my crappy laptop using the same internet connection. I suppose this is some kind of limitation of the way android handles the mouse. The problem is specifically with the mouse input. Now, my connection isn't the greatest, but it does work well using the laptop. Anyhow, most other games play amazingly well considering the technology. Sometimes the screen blurs a little, but I compare that to Netflix streaming. At times it gets blurry depending on the connection speed. I signed up for the Playpack, and for me it is totally worth it. Yes, the system is far from perfect, but I see a lot of potential. I really, really hope Onlive makes a OUYA specific app. Mainly, the company needs to get more games on there that are ok'd for android. I'd love to play Borderlands on the Ouya through Onlive. How awesome would that be?! My main fear is that they are going to focus on the remote desktop app, and abandon the remote gaming app. my fingers are crossed for an OUYA version of Onlive. If anybody has any questions about the service or games let me know and I will do my best to answer them. Keep in mind that the app is free, signing up is free, and all the games have a 30 minute "demo". If anybody else is using the service, please contact me. I would like to compare some of the problems I am having.
    +1

I don't use anything but the ouya remote but now that I have read your post I plan to hook up a KB and Mouse. I also have the play pack and love it. I also really wish they would get borderlands working on the android app.

I want to add that I have a ton of lag with the OUYA remote in any FPS but other games seem to be fine.

Has anyone figured out the issue with the "select" button? It's keeping me from properly playing Deus Ex