Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guide: Sideloading OpenBOR For OUYA

Guide: Sideloading OpenBOR for OUYA

About

This guide was made as a proof of concept of OpenBOR for OUYA. Before we begin I would like to give some general information, and answer a few questions regarding OpenBOR, its history, and current state.

What is OpenBor?

In 2004, Senile Team released Beats of Rage, a free beat-'em-up for DOS inspired by SEGA's Streets of Rage series and using sprites from SNK Playmore's King of Fighters series. The game spread only by word of mouth, but it nonetheless amassed popularity very quickly. Senile Team soon released an edit pack allowing anyone interested to create a mod for the BOR engine.

In 2005, Kirby2000 asked Senile Team to open the source code to BOR. They agreed, and OpenBOR was born. Development on the engine was continued by the community, and still is to this day.

How Does it work?

OpenBOR is an open source and completely moddable game engine, which means people can modify existing games or even create whole new ones. The idea behind making a game is simple, it involves providing pictures, sprites, wavs and animated gifs sometimes converting them for use in the game and controlling different actions with text files for making heroes, enemies, levels etc.

This game engine has attracted many people who together, have formed the BOR (Beats of Rage) community. Due to the desire for more features from the original BOR engine and because of many requests, some coders and programmers have stepped in to improve BOR, adding many new features and functionality. These new features have come in the form of many different BOR engine variations, games, and ports.

Can I run it on OUYA?

OpenBOR has a very modular and portable design inherited from Beats of Rage. Ports have currently been done on over 10 systems over the years, most recently being the Android platform. This means although there is not currently a native port we are still able to enjoy OpenBOR on OUYA by sideloading the Android application.

Are there any guides I can use to install it?

Yes, and No! There has been guides, and documentation over the years for the various platforms it has been ported to, and fortunately most installations procedures vary little from system to system, however there currently is no written documentation for installing OpenBOR on Android which can make things difficult for someone unfamiliar with it. This is why recently I decided make a guide not only to help others installing OpenBOR on android for the first time, but to use as a Proof of Concept for OpenBOR on OUYA.

The guide itself is simple, but the idea behind it is far greater, so with this I hope to introduce more people to OpenBOR, OUYA, and most importantly open source gaming in general, so please let us begin.

The Guide

Step 1

First we will need a copy of OpenBOR for android. The following link will provide you with my modified OpenBOR APK, this uses the latest Android build, and will allow the application to be installed to the PLAY section of your OUYA with a proper icon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rovj809tv6...OUYA%20POC.apk

If you decide you would rather install the normal APK the following is a link to the latest build by UTunnels the current lead developer of OpenBOR for Android.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gv17zu4f5...uild%203979.7z

Step 2

Next you will need your PAK files or "Games" The following link is to chronocrash.com where OpenBOR development is currently being hosted. Here you can find all the latest BOR mods, demos, news, etc. You can also use Google search and find many of the great older BOR mods no longer being hosted on the main site.

http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/

Step 3

Now that we have are APK and PAK files we are going to need a way to transfer and install the files, I prefer to use ES File Explorer and a flash drive, but you are welcome to use which ever method suits you best.

First we will need to install the APK, once done launch the application and you will be taken to a screen to select your game, however it will be empty so close the application, and return to your dashboard.

Next we will need to search are sdcard for the "OpenBOR" folder, if no such folder exists try restarting the application, or manually creating your own. Now with in this folder we will have/need another folder called the "Pak" folder. This is where we will put are PAK files.

So in short are directory should look like this

/sdcard/OpenBOR/Pak/BOR.pak

Step 4

Now all that is left to do is launch the application and choose are game from the select screen. Below are some additional notes and hints to help you along the way.

1. If only one .pak is found in the "Pak" folder OpenBOR will auto boot it. (no need to select your game)

2. You will most likely need to adjust your Video, and Controller settings with in the game, fortunately there is an option to save your configuration, and OpenBOR will automatically apply the settings to each game in the future.

3. Since this is an Android build there are on screen controls that will automatically be removed when your controller is detected, however I suggest using your OUYA controller's touch pad to navigate and adjust your controller settings upon your first time setup.

4. Most games offer multiplayer, however because OUYA applications need to be optimized to recognize each controller port this option currently does not work, unless you intend to control multiple characters with one controller.

5. Last but not least, as an added bonus the OpenBOR game select screen also doubles as a media player that will allow you to view and play all audio tracks within your games.

If you have any further questions, concerns, or comments please feel free to leave them, additionally you can send me a private messeage, and I will try to help as quickly, and best as possible.

Thanks & Recognition

Senile Team, Roel (Opla), Neill Corlett, Kirby2000, CGRemakes, SumolX/SamuraiX, uTunnels, Tails, Lord_Ball, Drikobruschi, Kbandressen, Fugue, Bloodbane, LaveLit, bWWd, Zamuel, Christuserloeser, Damon Caskey , BonusJZ, L@Cible, Chronocrash, OUYAForum, Eddie K, Brian K, James C, Moonlight, MELTDOWN, RiotingSpectre, KillSwitch, arcticdog, failrunner, SpoonWeaver, Dan, Schizophretard, DrunkPunk, Saracen26, Murka, Madmax2069, Eric B, Jakenut86, Kevin D, Starfighter, Sluup, Candy Cab

and anyone else that I may have forgot to add, please feel free to contact me, and I will be happy to add, or remove you from this list.

Thank you!

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

I loved playing OpenBOR on my hacked Dingoo. Also loved some of the homebrew stuff that people made with/for it. Excellent work XXX!
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Love BOR, use to play BOR all the time on my dreamcast. Gonna have to try hatchet ninjaz on this version.

Thanks! Been a long time since I written up anything like this, to be honest I almost trashed it half way through. I used to run BOR on dreamcast and PS2 back in the day, Theres a good chance that if you ever played BOR on dreamcast you were using some of the paks I ported over to it.

Making my own BOR mod was something I wanted to do for a long time too, but was more involved with XMugen at the time, and although they are very similar engines BOR was a little more difficult for me, so who knows maybe I'll put something together here in the future, or at least helped inspire someone else to.

Anyway hopefully we will see a BOR port to OUYA in the near future, as far as I know any requests for one have gone un awnsered by the current devs, but I know Utunnels already has his hands full constantly updating the current ports.

My main goal would be to get both BOR and Mugen eventually ported over to OUYA, but since BOR is already running on android I felt it would be the best place to start.

Banned

I'm so getting the Marvel Avengers mod for this though!

heh, yeah theres a lot of great ones, currently Im most excited about the TMNT being made right now combining elements from all the previous original TMNT games.

Everyone has to play the HE-MAN PAK, it's incomplete but it's really fun.

http://gamejolt.com/games/action/he-man/19434/
    Signature Pending...

Was wondering if anyone might could help me get the Power Rangers "Beats of Power" game to work on the Ouya. http://gamejolt.com/games/power-rang...77/?os=android

It's an awesome game and would be great to play on the Ouya.

I get OpenBOR to load fine on the Ouya, but whenever the game .Pak is placed in the Paks folder, OpenBOR loads but instantly crashes.

Any ideas what I can do?

I have the same problem. No game is starting. Everytime crash.

Tested another game, "Marvel First Alliance 2", same thing, it crashes OpenBOR.

Wish I knew what the bug was, the Marvel and Power Rangers games would be a blast to play on the Ouya. I wonder if it would have anything to do with filesize, someone posted that the He-man pak works. It's ~110MB in size, whereas the Power Rangers pak is 190MB, and the Marvel is 300MB.