Close
Advertise Here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLarson View Post
    Our demo has developed a few misconceptions due to the press we've received. The hospital room is not an ICU; it's just a normal hospital room. Joel had become sick, which was dangerous since his immunity was low, so they were staying in the hospital just in case. Somehow some people who read preview articles about our demo think it involves caring for Joel right as he's about to die, which is not the case.

Lastly, we just want people to know that our demo is indeed a dark point in the Green's journey, but the entire game will not be like this. In short, the game will be about the influential and memorable moments in their journey. And, like for all of us, those moments are big and small, happy and sad, and in-between. Consider Pixar's Up. Was the montage a tear-jerker? Sure. But the whole movie wasn't like that.
    This is why I find the story as powerful as I already do. As I have mentioned, it will be a rollercoaster, and one of the light and the dark. But one I'm sure that's beautifully told and handled with the utmost sincerity. I have already said to Ryan on Twitter that I admire his strength and courage for being able to tell his story.

In regards to hurtful comments. I can imagine how it is difficult to see such narrow minded people in certain places here on the internet. Especially since this is such a personal, and very much real experience. People will be aggressively judgemental towards what they don't understand. In essence, first world media and modern society has created a lot of people to be that way, rather than properly educating the correct standards and understanding. As painful as it can be, this is the unfortunate world we live in.

Those sorts of people will learn the hard way though. I'm quite a vocal ambassador, and I fight for the understanding of mental health. There's a lot of Stigma surrounding that as well as a lot of misunderstanding. You can try your best to explain. But until you either experience it, or represent it in a manner that allows people to understand it, then there will always be people who will brush it off or go on the attack.

Whilst you can't force everyone to understand health matters that we as humans face. There's those that will listen, and despite knowing what lies ahead with 'That Dragon, Cancer', I certainly feel that it is important to listen. This is a story that should be told. We always hear about cancer on the news. It's always about how to avoid it, what to eat, what not to do. But we don't hear of the impact it has on the families of those with the illness, and the very people who have to fight it.

Ryan's story will open eyes, it will inspire and inform. Help people to relate to the pain, and give hope to many. But I feel it will also bring a great sense of admiration for the family, and even deeper admiration for the little warrior that Ryan's son is. He is one incredible little boy with a very incredible family around him. That impact is worth an infinite amount more than one silly little 12-15 year old teenager's misinformed opinion. That's what everyone who is working on this project has to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleXXXBalla View Post

I'll admit they do kind of hold OUYA in a double standard over there a Kotaku, but it doesn't help when OUYA posts something like this on their twitter that totally goes against the spirit of the game, it makes them look stupid, and only out to make a buck off what others hold sentimental or as art.

(The lesson learned here is, do not let 17 year old wanna be gangsters, or 40 year old hipsters trying to act like 17 year old wanna be gangsters post for you on twitter, and since the person actually posted an apology after they came to their senses, I take it, it was likely the latter.)

In all honesty I can't see what's so offending about that tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax2069 View Post
    In all honesty I can't see what's so offending about that tweet.
    It's the "GET SOME!" at the end of the tweet probably

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLarson View Post
    However, we do want to create a worthwhile and rewarding experience for as many people as we can. Certainly we think those who have been affected by cancer will get something out of it. At the very least we hope they feel less alone in their experience, but more than that we want to share the hope that can be found in this.
    That's an excellent reason to try this by itself.
    I'm amazing, you probably just haven't realized it yet.
    ►VLC - Nostalgia

I'm quite excited about this. Not only do I crave games like this, but I've been waiting for a big on the OUYA for a while now so its rather nice to see it as an exclusive. Can't wait to see how you guys do storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by XanXic View Post
    It's the "GET SOME!" at the end of the tweet probably

That's an excellent reason to try this by itself.
    People are such idiots. People get offended too easily. Get some is obviously a signature.

I get the logic behind making this game, but I go to gaming as an escape, to get away from the sad and depressing things in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Vrba View Post
    I get the logic behind making this game, but I go to gaming as an escape, to get away from the sad and depressing things in real life.
    Then I suppose this isn't the game for you?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax2069 View Post
    People are such idiots. People get offended too easily. Get some is obviously a signature.
    No it wasn't a signature Its a hype phrase made popular by teenage delinquents and has been getting thrown around the OUYA twitter account.

Its offensive when the game represents the real life struggle of a boy facing cancer, does GET SOME really sound appropriate?

They even issued an apology afterward, which means they acknowledged it was in bad taste.

I personally was not offended by it, but its not hard to see where a lot of people would.

I can also see why "this is a game about cancer... GET SOME" would be worthy of an apology. Anyway, as I was saying in the chatbox earlier today, I feel a bit proud to be part of a community that inspires the developers to actually reach out and explain a bit after being burned by youtube comments (which is the very source of ignorant internet stupidity).
    Play like Starfighter (currently featuring 150 great OUYA titles, 40 of which are completely free)
    73 OUYA games beaten (and counting)
    32 free to watch documentaries (and counting)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Vrba View Post
    Thanks for honestly expressing your view Andrew. It's definitely valued! I think we should all confront these hard things in life so that we can overcome them, but for some people videogames are just not the place to do that. And that's valid.

For me, I don't have an entire medium I use as my escape, but I do have a sort of genre: cartoons like Adventure Time.