Close
Advertise Here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XanXic View Post
    What do you mean by controversy? I don't see your meaning. Not a lot of people wanting you to loose the game probably.

Building more on what I said earlier. I'm curious about the perspective. It's about the person who had cancer but you experience it as the family? I'm not sure if there's a way to accurately portray how it feels to go through cancer. As a cancer...whatever, I don't like to say survivor since it implies a lot, I'm not sure if there's a way to accurately portray it from the other side. It's quite the different experience I can tell you. And I doubt the game is going to charge you an arm and a leg to represent the hospital bills. I'd like to see more of this then the trailer shows. Will be following.
    Dude someone got a refund on Bioshock Infinite from steam, simply because they didn't want to be digitally baptized to progress in the game, not even the racial aspect of the game, and the basis for that game is completely fictional.

For a game that touches on the reality of children facing life threatening diseases, I think there is plenty of room for some nut to find controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotingSpectre View Post
    Oh good God, man. Least the genre is interesting, but this just depresses me.
    ._. Sad. Feel likewise.

Wow, i thought it was about the astrological sign... damn.
    OUYA FORUM List of Working Controllers (Please Contribute!) - http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3673-LIST-Controllers-That-Work-With-OUYA

OUYA: Astrom

The most heart-wrenching detail is that it's not just some sort of story that the dev came up with to gain money/a following...it's the real story of himself particulary his son's struggle with terminal cancer.

Google it up, his son is still alive, but...*sigh*
    Nature is cruel.
    ...and that's all I have to say about that.

Hoping that the dev will come and share some of what's on his mind here.

I hadn't heard of this game till today; it looks interesting.

What I find really interesting is the reaction it's getting as an "Ouya Exclusive": I read the Kotaku article on it and quite frankly their sheer hatred of the Ouya is really starting make them look bad. One of the biggest criticisms of the Ouya is it's lack of exclusive content and lack of games people want to play; their article (and their comments section) is filled with complaints about how this game is an Ouya exclusive and they're all confused as to why that is. It's an Ouya exclusive for an obvious reason; it's a small indie game that other companies just won't take a chance on. The idiots at Kotaku are trying to put the Ouya in a trap where they're "damned if they do, damned if they don't" and they just look pathetic at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fu View Post
    I hadn't heard of this game till today; it looks interesting.

What I find really interesting is the reaction it's getting as an "Ouya Exclusive": I read the Kotaku article on it and quite frankly their sheer hatred of the Ouya is really starting make them look bad. One of the biggest criticisms of the Ouya is it's lack of exclusive content and lack of games people want to play; their article (and their comments section) is filled with complaints about how this game is an Ouya exclusive and they're all confused as to why that is. It's an Ouya exclusive for an obvious reason; it's a small indie game that other companies just won't take a chance on. The idiots at Kotaku are trying to put the Ouya in a trap where they're "damned if they do, damned if they don't" and they just look pathetic at this point.

I'll admit they do kind of hold OUYA in a double standard over there a Kotaku, but it doesn't help when OUYA posts something like this on their twitter that totally goes against the spirit of the game, it makes them look stupid, and only out to make a buck off what others hold sentimental or as art.

(The lesson learned here is, do not let 17 year old wanna be gangsters, or 40 year old hipsters trying to act like 17 year old wanna be gangsters post for you on twitter, and since the person actually posted an apology after they came to their senses, I take it, it was likely the latter.)
    Last edited by Cave Four; 08-14-2013 at 02:19 AM.

If anyone wants to get an idea what this game is like. I found a rather deep and well written article from a lady who has played the demo. It sets up the potential thought provocation process rather well here, and what we'll experience as gamers.

If you still have a rather deep curiosity for this game, it's a must read. Whilst it doesn't contain any major spoilers, it gives a great background concerning the game, and what it's likely to do to you as a player: http://www.unwinnable.com/2013/04/05...dragon-cancer/

------

All I can think of is that with a game this intense, an hour or 2 will certainly be plenty enough. It will set off that emotional rollercoaster, that feeling of hope, then helplessness. I hesitate to type this, but as explained in the article, it could be possible that the worst may happen before release. However, then again it may not. How that changes the narrative of this game and its eventual time-frame for release is certainly intriguing.

Either way, I feel I need to play this game. To share and experience the pain and emotion the developer is going through, something that tells such a powerful story simply has no price tag here. I already feel incredibly moved by the developer's story, and the bravery and strength he has to present this to the world. I already feel like saying "Thank You" to him, yet in a reserved, humble and rather sombre way, and I haven't even had the chance to experience it yet.

I'm very glad OUYA have chose to fund this. I do believe it will be a game that everyone has to experience, and for them to come away from it with their own personal thoughts and feelings of the story, and how incredible this game already truly is.

from "the dev"

Quote Originally Posted by Murka View Post
    Hoping that the dev will come and share some of what's on his mind here.
    I'm not Ryan, but I am the other main developer on this project. We don't normally read a lot of comments, and we've almost never gotten involved in them. A good way to explain why is that someone once described Joel as a "fat fag" or something very similarly horrible in a YouTube comment of a short documentary about their cancer fight (he had gained weight due to the treatment). Sometimes getting involved causes more harm than good, especially due to the subject matter of this project.

However, I felt inspired to respond due to the exceptional nature of the discussion happening here. I have to applaud all of you for both your mixture of perspectives and your great conversation.

We don't expect this to be a game for everyone, and totally respect those who have already decided this isn't for them.

However, we do want to create a worthwhile and rewarding experience for as many people as we can. Certainly we think those who have been affected by cancer will get something out of it. At the very least we hope they feel less alone in their experience, but more than that we want to share the hope that can be found in this. We also think those that have struggled with their faith through hard times will get something out of it, since the game will explore how these events have shaped the Greens in that way. We very much do not want this to be a sermon, but we simply want to show the world from Ryan and Amy's point of view in a "this is how we see the world" way instead of a "this is how you should see the world" way. And we think parents will get something out of this since so much of this is about being a parent who loves a son.

Our demo has developed a few misconceptions due to the press we've received. The hospital room is not an ICU; it's just a normal hospital room. Joel had become sick, which was dangerous since his immunity was low, so they were staying in the hospital just in case. Somehow some people who read preview articles about our demo think it involves caring for Joel right as he's about to die, which is not the case.

Lastly, we just want people to know that our demo is indeed a dark point in the Green's journey, but the entire game will not be like this. In short, the game will be about the influential and memorable moments in their journey. And, like for all of us, those moments are big and small, happy and sad, and in-between. Consider Pixar's Up. Was the montage a tear-jerker? Sure. But the whole movie wasn't like that.

We just happened to start development with, figuratively speaking, the part of the story when the main character falls in the mud and it feels like all hope is lost, then at the last second a hand reaches down to offer a way out. Our demo ends with that hand reaching down. We invite you to trust us that the rest of the story is not about letting go of that hand, but about holding on. Because holding on is where hope can be found.

Its not for me, little depressing. I hope it does well though and it's certainly going to be hard hitting and thought provoking.
    Creators of Super Renegade Response, Rush Hour Mayhem and Colour Combat

I've bought so many games I can't list them on my sig now lol.

Click for list

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLarson View Post
    I'm not Ryan, but I am the other main developer on this project. We don't normally read a lot of comments, and we've almost never gotten involved in them. A good way to explain why is that someone once described Joel as a "fat fag" or something very similarly horrible in a YouTube comment of a short documentary about their cancer fight (he had gained weight due to the treatment). Sometimes getting involved causes more harm than good, especially due to the subject matter of this project.

However, I felt inspired to respond due to the exceptional nature of the discussion happening here. I have to applaud all of you for both your mixture of perspectives and your great conversation.

We don't expect this to be a game for everyone, and totally respect those who have already decided this isn't for them.

However, we do want to create a worthwhile and rewarding experience for as many people as we can. Certainly we think those who have been affected by cancer will get something out of it. At the very least we hope they feel less alone in their experience, but more than that we want to share the hope that can be found in this. We also think those that have struggled with their faith through hard times will get something out of it, since the game will explore how these events have shaped the Greens in that way. We very much do not want this to be a sermon, but we simply want to show the world from Ryan and Amy's point of view in a "this is how we see the world" way instead of a "this is how you should see the world" way. And we think parents will get something out of this since so much of this is about being a parent who loves a son.

Our demo has developed a few misconceptions due to the press we've received. The hospital room is not an ICU; it's just a normal hospital room. Joel had become sick, which was dangerous since his immunity was low, so they were staying in the hospital just in case. Somehow some people who read preview articles about our demo think it involves caring for Joel right as he's about to die, which is not the case.

Lastly, we just want people to know that our demo is indeed a dark point in the Green's journey, but the entire game will not be like this. In short, the game will be about the influential and memorable moments in their journey. And, like for all of us, those moments are big and small, happy and sad, and in-between. Consider Pixar's Up. Was the montage a tear-jerker? Sure. But the whole movie wasn't like that.

We just happened to start development with, figuratively speaking, the part of the story when the main character falls in the mud and it feels like all hope is lost, then at the last second a hand reaches down to offer a way out. Our demo ends with that hand reaching down. We invite you to trust us that the rest of the story is not about letting go of that hand, but about holding on. Because holding on is where hope can be found.
    Thanks for the response Josh.
    Certainly those who were affected by cancer, even not directly, will understand the experience more closely, and it's sad to confess that in our day and age it's hard to find someone that was/is/will not be affected by it someday...