Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

That Dragon, Cancer - OUYA Exclusive!

This will be an OUYA exclusive.

More details at: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/13/461...sively-in-2014

That Dragon, Cancer is the work of Ryan Green, Josh Larson, Jon Hillman and Nat Iwata. It is the story of Joel, the 4-year-old son of Ryan and Amy Green, who has battled seven tumors in his struggle for survival. Its creators describe the point-and-click adventure as a "living painting" and a poem of interactive storytelling. ThroughThat Dragon, Cancer, players will relive moments from the Green family's ongoing battle with the disease.
    Thanks to an investment from Ouya, the team creating That Dragon, Cancer will be able to complete the game — it's currently a single, relatively short vignette — and hire additional developers. Its creators estimate it will be completed sometime in the second half of 2014.
    In an interview with Polygon, creators Ryan Green and Josh Larson and Ouya's Kellee Santiago talked about the decision to bring That Dragon, Cancer to the nascent console.
    "Originally, we wanted to create an art installation, something that people could play and experience together," Green said. "I think playing it in a living room with your family and friends, this experience can be a catalyst for talking about hard things. Bringing it to the living room makes a lot of sense; we wanted to make a one to two hour game, something that could be done in one sitting," as opposed to a mobile game played in distracted fits and spurts.
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar
    It is the story of Joel, the 4-year-old son of Ryan and Amy Green, who has battled seven tumors in his struggle for survival.
    Oh good God, man. Least the genre is interesting, but this just depresses me.

^what she said ._.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Twitter~ @derty10
    YouTube~ .:derty's pro shop:.
    WiiU~ Ask for add

.:OUYA Games I Own:.

Zombie Driver HD
    Reagan Gorbachev
    Meganoid 2
    Back To Bed
    Pier Solar
    Fist Puncher
    Towerfall
    So Many Me
    Big Action Mega Fight!
    Duck Game
    Final Fantasy III
    Raiden Legacy
    Pocket RPG
    CLARC
    Groundskeeper 2
    Polarity
    Ice Rage
    Knightmare Tower
    Meltdown
    Heroes of Loot
    BombSquad
    Sine Mora
    Neon Shadow
    Pizza Boy
    FIST OF AWESOME
    MINIGORE2
    GunSlugs

So is this being made by our resident Polygon gaming or is this a different polygon studio?

That aside, looks promising. Not sure if that's the actual's game aspect or just artistic trailer. If it's underwater that'll be weird, but creepy. Curious about the cancer tie in.
    I'm amazing, you probably just haven't realized it yet.
    ►VLC - Nostalgia

"I think playing it in a living room with your family and friends, this experience can be a catalyst for talking about hard things."

I love stuff like this. Can't wait!
    Play like Starfighter (currently featuring 150 great OUYA titles, 40 of which are completely free)
    73 OUYA games beaten (and counting)
    32 free to watch documentaries (and counting)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    "I think playing it in a living room with your family and friends, this experience can be a catalyst for talking about hard things."

I love stuff like this. Can't wait!
    ^This, it could also stem a lot of controversy!

Personally I think between the name, plot, and trailer, the idea is definably unique, and should make for a very interesting experience.

If this raises awareness of this, the signs, as well as the importance of finding it early... Then wraps it in an extremely powerful and thought provoking story, then I am all for this.

Having a family member who has survived it twice is quite something of an emotional rollercoaster. However my wife's work colleague is terminal with Stage 4 cancer (spread throughout the body) and could have weeks, maybe even days... I can barely begin to think how that must feel. Not only for his family, but also for him.

Giving the opportunity for people to see this in whatever shape or form the game undertakes can only be of benefit. It might even save a life.

I wouldn't even call this controversial really. Important taboo subjects should be discussed more in this form of media, and I'm surprised they haven't been moreso. Movies and books manage it, so why not computer games?

Such as gaming may be an escape for many, it needs to be an important story telling medium too. If that means kicking people back into harsh realities of our existence, then I actively encourage it.

My sister and I, as well as my nephew and my second cousin, once removed are the only blood relatives of my mother who've never gotten cancer. My mother just recently overcame a pit bull among breast cancers. My brother survived leukemia at an age when nobody survives leukemia. So, this story will touch personally, especially me since I'm so likely to get cancer some of my doctors say "there's really no point in you avoiding carcinogens, if you don't get cancer it won't be because of anything you did."

Quote Originally Posted by TripleXXXBalla View Post
    ^This, it could also stem a lot of controversy!
    What do you mean by controversy? I don't see your meaning. Not a lot of people wanting you to loose the game probably.

Building more on what I said earlier. I'm curious about the perspective. It's about the person who had cancer but you experience it as the family? I'm not sure if there's a way to accurately portray how it feels to go through cancer. As a cancer...whatever, I don't like to say survivor since it implies a lot, I'm not sure if there's a way to accurately portray it from the other side. It's quite the different experience I can tell you. And I doubt the game is going to charge you an arm and a leg to represent the hospital bills. I'd like to see more of this then the trailer shows. Will be following.
    I'm amazing, you probably just haven't realized it yet.
    ►VLC - Nostalgia

I like the teaser. Hopefully the game will be just as interesting as this 1 minute video.