Close
Advertise Here
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Well, the wife gets extra wife-points today for locating a $75 vectrex with casual conversation. I had actually bought a broken one years ago expecting that I could nurse it back to health, but despite many attempts all I ever got out of it was a white dot. So today was actually my first time ever playing one.

I've seen more than a few vectrex videos in my time, but I have to say that seeing it in person--those graphics blew my mind. I can't believe 1982 looked that good. Vector graphics may have been a bit of an evolutionary dead-end but wow were they ever sharp and smooth compared to what we were doing with raster back then. Hell, they look sharper/smoother than today's polygons (though obviously far more basic). Vectrex graphics are no joke.

For the system, I currently have Minestorm which is the built-in, and a scramble cart I had sitting around. I also ordered a Hyper Chase cart with its color overlay. (ooh, "color")

I've set my alarm early so I can play it more before work...wtf is wrong with me? That sounds like something a 6-year-old would do.
    Last edited by Reaperman; 08-06-2013 at 05:08 AM.

Ive been playing The Last of Us on the PS3
    This game is the reason I am intensely jealous of my PS3-owning friends. It looks like gaming equivalent of the Road AKA the most bleak and hopeless book ever written. A game of that sounds excellent.

I am currently playing Crackdown as it is free on Xbox live at the moment. Played it when it came out years ago and it's massive, silly fun. There's a DLC for it which gives you super strength, speed, unlimited ammo and the ability to spawn vehicles anywhere (including mid air). So it's not even about the challenge for me, it's the ADHD fun of running at super speed and kicking a lorry into orbit.

Last night I was playing a lot of Scramble. I finally got through a full loop.
    Nice thing about the vectrex--whenever I search for videos for it, almost none of them are from emulators.
    I guess that's pretty much because there's little point to playing vectrex at all when there's no vector display involved. Every strength of the thing comes from its display method.

Last edited by Reaperman; 08-10-2013 at 03:48 AM.

I'm mainly focusing on Fatal Frame (PS2) and Pathologic (PC) right now, but when I need a break from all the horror and misery I shoot stuff in Triggerheart Exelica (DC).

Fatal Frame:

Pathologic:

Triggerheart Exelica:

Play like Starfighter (currently featuring 150 great OUYA titles, 40 of which are completely free)
    73 OUYA games beaten (and counting)
    32 free to watch documentaries (and counting)

Duke Nukem 3D, Revenge of Shinobi and Crackdown. Crackdown is the non-OUYA game that I've been playing most.

The postman brought me Hyper Chase for Vectrex today--and once again, mind is blown. Incredible graphics, sound and control. All work together to create something that kept my attention for a solid couple hours. Not bad for a game from 1982. The sense of speed is amazing and it's really hard, but thanks to the precision of analog control, it doesn't feel unfair. Because games tend to be short, it's great for highscores.

Last edited by Reaperman; 08-10-2013 at 03:42 AM.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team just came out in North America today, and I took full advantage of that (though I apparently chose to have my preorder shipped to my house...and then got one at GameStop anyway; at least I should be able to return the extra one for full credit). It's been very enjoyable so far.

I'm playing to many games! Last week I bought Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Tales of Xillia and Dragon's Crown. I still need to play through Dynasty Warriors 8 too! This week I'm getting Payday 2: The Heist.

Well, I'm stuck out of state on a business trip, and the only system I brought with me was my Game Boy Micro. It's actually my all-time favorite game system.
    I've been trying to finish up the career mode ("progression") in Moto Racer Advance. There's just two tiers left, but they're 'reversed' mode so they're hard to memorize/navigate. Simply incredible game, though.

I've also ordered two more vextrex titles (with overlay) and the 72-in-1 multi-cart--which is surprisingly inexpensive. Vectrex is a little special in that every game made for it was first-party, and that first-party officially released the entire library to public domain long ago. So multi-cart is legit. Now the trick is getting overlays for the games, which is quite a trick.

Had an itch to play one of the original Pokemon games as of late, so mostly the Yellow version.