Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

How To Install A Perfectly Working Amiga Emulator On OUYA

Ultimate Amiga Emulator on OUYA (Sideloaded) – Uae4all2-SDL v2.3.0.8

The link below is a pre-configured workbench image with WHD Folder structure for putting your (WHDLoad) games in to.
    Just extract the archive to your USB drive that you attach to your OUYA.
    Systemlite WB with iGame (Including Game Art) - Download Here (42.5mb)

WHDLOAD compatible game files are easy to locate on the net. Just put them in the directory structure I provided. They should be unzipped and contain an .info file and a folder.
    ie. Info file for Sensi would go in WHDLoad\S\ and the game folder goes in the same directory WHDLoad\S\
    Or you can just load floppy images.

Here is my guide to installing IMHO the best Amiga emulator available and how to get it working flawlessly on OUYA.
    You can use it to load .adf disk images or mount .hdf games / files and folders.

Ok, once you side load the app you will need to configure it.
    Any option I don’t tell you to change should be left as is! Select options by pressing ‘O’ on the OUYA controller.

When you first load it, it will give you a menu to download files.
    Both ‘data files’ and ‘blankdisks files’ should be ticked by default.
    Select ‘Show more options’

Enter menu ‘On-screen keyboard’ select ‘On-screen keyboard theme’ and change to ‘Simple Theme by Beholder’
    Select ‘ Size of button images’ and change to ‘tiny’
    Select ‘On-screen keyboard transparency’ and change to ‘invisible’
    You can select ‘Customize on-screen keyboard layout’ and relocate the onscreen buttons if you wish. As invisible means you can still see them faintly, I locate the d-pad on the bottom left corner and buttons 1-4 in a vertical line on the right hand side.
    Now Select OK and it will take you up one level to the Device configuration menu.

Select ‘Size of audio buffer’ and change to ‘small’

Select Remap Physical Keys:
    Press the left analogue stick button (L3) to re-map the button on it. Map it to LALT by finding it in the list and pressing “O” (This enable this key to swap input methods between Joystick and Mouse mode)
    Select Remap Physical Keys again, press L2 button on your OUYA controller and map to L (You need this key mapped to load a hard drive folder later on in the emulator menus)

Select ‘Video settings’ and tick ‘separate thread for video’. Linear video filtering is already ticked so leave that as is. You can decide if you want 4:3 ratio or stretched. I use stretched so I leave this unchecked.

Select OK. The app will proceed to download files and load the emulator.

You should now be at the emulator menus:
    Navigate to ‘Preset System Setup’ and push right to select A1200

Select Display settings:
    Preset width should be 640
    Change ‘preset height’ to 640x256
    Return to main menu

Select More options:
    Change mouse speed to .5
    Return to main menu

THIS NEXT SECTION IS FOR THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO USE WHDLOAD OR LOAD HDF GAMES – ITS WORTH SETTING UP THIS WAY IMO.

Select ‘Hard Disk & Memory Options’
    Change ‘Boot HD to ‘File’
    Select ‘HD Dir’
    Navigate to where your WHDLoad Folder is and press L2 (Mapped to L) on the OUYA controller.
    You should be taken back to the menu page and HD Dir should be WHDLoad
    Select ‘HD file’
    Navigate to where your Systemlite.hdf file is located and select (Or any game .hdf file should you choose to load games that way)
    For those wanting to load floppy disk games, change floppy speed to 4x or 8x.
    Return to main menu

Select ‘More Options’
    Change CPU Speed to '12T2'
    Return to main menu

IMPORTANT – SELECT 'SAVE GENERAL CONFIG' from the main menu – this will make your selections your default setup.

Now exit the App.

Obtaining kickrom files:
    You need to obtain the following kickroms named as follows:
    kick13.rom
    kick31.rom
    Only certain kick31.rom versions work. Not every revision works, which sucks!
    If in doubt, purchase the Amiga Forever Essentials Here for $1

You need to place the kickroms in the following folder:
    sdcard0/Android/data/pandora.uae4all.sdl/files/kickstarts/
    Use something like ES File Explorer to do this part.
    If you are struggling to find working kickrom files you can get them via android market.
    Search for the app Amiga Forever Essentials.

There are some files (kickroms) that must be located in your System/Dev/Kickstarts folder within the systemlite image to make some (Not all) games work using WHDLoad.
    So this part is optional depending on what games you play.
    You will need to add these somehow (and also rename them) - see below
    Take a copy of kick13.rom, save and rename it kick34005.a500 in your WHDload kickstarters folder.
    Take a copy of kick31.rom, save and rename it kick40068.A1200 in your WHDload kickstarters folder.
    Now you need to get these to the System\Devs\Kickstarts directory within your systemlite image.
    Easiest way would be to add the files to the kickstarter folder within your WHDLoad folder as mentioned.
    Then in the workbench you can drag and drop into System\Devs\Kickstarts directory from the WHDLoad folder.

Once this part has been done, you can launch the app.

Select ‘Reset’ to start the emulator.

If you have used my setup file – systemlite.hdf it should load to the workbench. All you need to do is select iGame and have it scan for your games (My old games list may be present but will dissapear once you do a scan).
    To do this, load iGame, then right mouse click the top of the screen and select the scan option (left mouse click) It may take a minute or so.
    It will auto scan the WHDLOAD folder structure for your games if you have used my files.

If you want to support WHDLoad development you will need to get your own personal WHDLOAD keyfile. Once you have this you need to save it into the $ directory on your systemlite.hdf workbench image.
    The easiest way to do this is on a PC using WINUAE.

OUYA Controller Keys:
    U = Left mouse click (When in mouse mode)
    Y = brings up the Amiga keyboard
    A = right mouse click (When in mouse mode)
    O = Joystick fire (Also acts as left click mouse when in joystick mode)
    R2 = Return to menu / game
    Touchpad = Mouse navigation
    And if you mapped these correctly:
    L3 = Select input method - Pressing L3 switches between modes. If you press it once, you can use the analog stick to move the mouse around. Press it twice more to go back to joystick control.
    L2 = L

Mouse emulation:
    The mouse can be moved with the analogue stick, D-pad or the OUYA touchpad.

To hide the on screen controls:
    Enter the "change device configuration menu" on startup
    Select on screen keyboard menu
    Select remap on screen controls and un-tick all the boxes then Seleck ok
    Select ok
    Select ok.
    App should now load with no on screen controls.

RESOURCES - These Helped make this possible, so please support them
    Developers Website: Here This app is not on the OUYA store so you will need to side load it.
    WHDLOAD Website: http://www.whdload.de/
    ClassicWB by Bloodwych: http://classicwb.abime.net/
    iGame Website: http://winterland.no-ip.org/igame/ - If you need instructions to use.

I bought a registration for WHDLOAD ($30USD) to support development.
    You can use it without buying but it does have a nag screen for the unregistered version but this only comes up when you first launch a game.
    Hopefully this guide is accurate and works for you….

Credits to Lubomyr for creating such a great app for Android / Ouya
    And anyone else involved in its development.

Enjoy
    Gazdaman
    Last edited by Gazdaman; 08-11-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Thankyou for doing this. I will try it later tonight.

I've tried installing this and configured following your instructions. Upon boot i get a message saying kick rom not found? I've used UAE before for windows. I had to put kick.rom in a folder and .adf files in another folder. Whats required with this? Do i need to put a kickrom in a folder before it will launch? I configured so HD folder shows WHDLoad and Systemlite.hdf but no joy running this.
    Last edited by pfj; 07-13-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pfj View Post
    I've tried installing this and configured following your instructions. Upon boot i get a message saying kick rom not found?
    An older revision of the app used to fetch the kickroms for you. This must have been removed due to copyright.
    You need to obtain the following kickroms named as follows:
    kick13.rom
    kick20.rom
    kick31.rom

You need to place them in the following folder:
    sdcard0/Android/data/pandora.uae4all.sdl/files/kickstarts/
    Use something like ES File Explorer to do this part.

If you are struggling to find working kickrom files you can get them via android market.
    Search for the app Amiga Forever Essentials.

Let me know if this sorts it for you?

I'll add this part to the guide above.
    Cheers

I got kick roms and installed in correct directory, and named them correctly yet still can't get this working. Also, when trying to save default configuration it seems to save but doesn't.

When booting getting a message not a dos disk in unit 0. Although it's showing some sort of desktop.

Very frustrating. I've never used whd files or hdf either maybe I'm doing something wrong although default directorys are showing under hard disk options.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

@pfj
    Save general config should work.
    Change the number of drives to a different number (I normally have mine set to 1) and save config, exit and reload the app and if the number of drives (DF0, DF1 etc) has changed you know the config is saving correctly.

In Memory and disk options make sure boot HD is set to 'File' and you have selected both the systemlite image as the HD file and a HD Folder as WHDLoad
    In the More options menu, the Kickstart setting has to be set to 3.1 otherwise the HD image etc will not work.
    Settings in this menu should be:
    AGA
    All these are the default A1200 settings

Also to test your kickrom is correct (I had an incompatible one before) you can change the above mentioned setting for Boot HD to 'off' and then reset.
    It should then load to the 3.1 Rom boot screen with the Amiga tick and floppy drive graphic.

Other than that try 'reset config to defaults' in the 'Change device configuration' menu and reconfigure 1 more time, now that you have the kickroms in place - this is the menu you access as the app boots up. You need to use the touchpad to access this and you only have a few seconds before the app loads.

I understand it can be frustrating... it took me a while to pre-configure the hdf image to work well under undroid with WHDload & iGame built it....
    Configuring the App is the easy part

Updated top post with more detail.
    Regarding kick31.rom
    Google for "kick31.rom" to get it. Not every revision works, which sucks! (Thanks Grawl for the info)
    Last edited by Schizophretard; 02-16-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks gazdaman for all your help. Its finally working for me. I used different roms (1.3 and 3.1) and its working fine and igame is working. Unfortunately, I have to spend the rest of the day painting and cannot game until later but have a load of WHD files ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by pfj View Post
    Thanks gazdaman for all your help. Its finally working for me. I used different roms (1.3 and 3.1) and its working fine and igame is working. Unfortunately, I have to spend the rest of the day painting and cannot game until later but have a load of WHD files ready to play.
    Hey, no problem mate. I appreciate your input as well as it has helped me fine tune the guide as well as improve my setup also.
    Enjoy the games when you get time

Very nice!...Got it setup with no probs. Thanks
    One question though: when I want to customize the on screen button layout, I can't get back into the previous menu (no back button)
    Any ideas?

Thanks for the guide. I've got it almost working. Only tested the game 'Nitro' (best one on the amiga and it thinks the ouya pad controls both player 1 and player 3. Havent found yet options to sort that out.....

@d4g: I had the same problem, had to plug a wired 360 pad in to press back. I take it there's no way to turn off these onscreen buttons altogether?