Close
Advertise Here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Administrative Caped Crusader Killswitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manaurys View Post
    Did you got it? I want to do this too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    I was going to do it but think I'm just going to wait until ninja OUYA is back in stock and get that.

The PCB connectors are coming on a slow boat from China; however, I DID install the SMA connector and WiFi antenna into the case this morning.

Part 1: The Case

Stay tuned for part two: The PCB
    Black 16GB Ouya - Mods: black Xbox thumb sticks
    Original 8GB Ouya - Mods: black Xbox thumb sticks, central brass foot, Noctua fan, additional copper heat sinks, external WiFi antenna, cold air intake

Administrative Caped Crusader Killswitch's Avatar

Seems like everyone is waiting on China, though my thumbsticks have finally hit PA.
    Hope your wait is over soon.
    Looks good but damn that's a big antenna (insert joke).

If I recall this antenna features a bit of gain over a standard one.
    They make much larger antennas of this type.

What's cool is that the connector allows for many different options.
    Original 8GB Ouya - Mods: black Xbox thumb sticks, central brass foot, Noctua fan, additional copper heat sinks, external WiFi antenna, cold air intake

Can someone post the parts list with links please. Im going to try this and post some pictures and tips on soldering.

I also saw this high gain antenna on ebay, what do you think:

Quote Originally Posted by ugo2 View Post
    Can someone post the parts list with links please. Im going to try this and post some pictures and tips on soldering.

I also saw this high gain antenna on ebay, what do you think:

I think you'd be able to connect with some far away routers with an antenna like that!
    Yeah, stuff like this becomes possible.

PCB connectors I ordered:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    An example of a decent looking antenna/cable combo:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Antenna-R...nna+with+cable

PCB modification finished!

Here is the Ouya PCB with the fan removed and held in a couple of special clamps to stabilize the board while I'm working on it:

Here is the U.FL connector for the WiFi soldered to the PCB.
    The 0-ohm SMD resistor that originally connected to the internal WiFi antenna has been removed and the connection from the Wifi components to the external antenna components bridged with a wire.
    I did it that way because the original resistor (essentially a jumper) went flying off somewhere when I went to remove it (this stuff is super tiny folks!) and I didn't feel like waiting for a replacement to come down from our parts distribution.
    The work is a tad rough looking but solid. I'd rather have a good ugly connection than risk messing something up just to make it appear prettier any day.

The WiFi cable is attached to the connector to complete the connection to the external WiFi antenna.

There is a cutout in the PCB that will allow the antenna cable to bend over the top so that the lid will fit with no problems.
    Here is the PCB installed into the case and the antenna cable fully routed prior to the lid being reinstalled.

My modded Ouya next to my shiny new 16GB Black model.

A dead WiFi router can be cannibalized for parts also.
    I'm sure people have at least one of those lying around.
    Some with two antenna's.

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    Performance boost = ???
    I don't have any hard numbers but I see a ton of wireless routers in my neighborhood now, and can connect to a nearby open Xfinity hotspot when I couldn't before.

My Ouya system sits beneath my Router so my own wireless connection remains awesome.

I would guess that with multiple controllers I could maximize BT performance and WiFi will still kick butt due to the higher gain external antenna and the fact that the systems won't interfere with each other now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen_Widget View Post
    A dead WiFi router can be cannibalized for parts also.
    I'm sure people have at least one of those lying around.
    Some with two antenna's.
    I'd bet that the Ouya PCB itself could be installed inside an older router enclosure with external antenna(s) with room to spare for a hard drive and USB hub!