Close
Advertise Here

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Transfer Ouya games to USB?

Hi guys! New Ouya owner here.

I've got a 32GB USB stick plugged into the back of my Ouya. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to take games I've downloaded from the Ouya store and transfer them to the USB stick? Considering the launch line-up alone takes up more than the 5GB or so offered by the system, I'd hope it would be future-proof enough to enable me to do this so I don't have to keep deleting games every time I want to install a new one.

Please tell me there's a solution!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scully1888 View Post
    Hi guys! New Ouya owner here.

I've got a 32GB USB stick plugged into the back of my Ouya. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to take games I've downloaded from the Ouya store and transfer them to the USB stick? Considering the launch line-up alone takes up more than the 5GB or so offered by the system, I'd hope it would be future-proof enough to enable me to do this so I don't have to keep deleting games every time I want to install a new one.

Please tell me there's a solution!

Thanks

Hopefully they are coming with USB and HDD support, i'm a kick strater backer that's been asking for this since the Ouya first came out to KS backers... and now to launch with it.. just doesn't make sense to me.. when we have a usb port in the back. I like you have a 32 gb usb stick that I can't use and I can't fit anymore games or do updates to games with out removing a game.. Ouya needs to fix this ASAP... they knew this would be an issue!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thoms3 View Post
    Hopefully they are coming with USB and HDD support, i'm a kick strater backer that's been asking for this since the Ouya first came out to KS backers... and now to launch with it.. just doesn't make sense to me.. when we have a usb port in the back. I like you have a 32 gb usb stick that I can't use and I can't fit anymore games or do updates to games with out removing a game.. Ouya needs to fix this ASAP... they knew this would be an issue!!!
    Yeah, it's not very forward-thinking. If they want the Discover store to be the main source of content then we really should have more than 5GB to play with... especially when the promotional stuff on the site clearly says the 8GB can be expanded through USB.

Virginia Beach, VA and Utuado, Puerto Rico

i know how this feels i have a few 64GB microsd and it is upsetting. another issue has to do with the way android operates. even on mobile phones you cant install games or move them to the sdcard unless you root your device therefor voiding your warranty. this issue is not new to ouya its been ongoing for years now, i think they tried to do alot of things at once and that right now is affecting them big time. if they do not address these issues there will be no more ouya...

This is actually a hardware problem and not a OUYA problem. They are working on it, but it's more complicated than app2sd.

What I think will happen is you will have to format your USB drive in a certain format and somehow "mount" the USB drive (something that current Android devices cannot do).

Someone just today asked about this to OUYASupport and they responded saying it's being worked on. Originally they had said they hoped it would be on there pre-release, but I'm guessing they ran into problems.

But know that they are working on it and it will come eventually, but no word on when at this point.

If you check the Ouya page on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/OUYA-Console/d...&keywords=ouya
    you will see that one of the marketing points says that it is expandable via USB port. Is that false advertising? I say it is but, I know there will be others that disagree.

Jeremy, how can you say this is not a Ouya problem? Who do you think wrote the specs. My Asus TF700 has the same cpu and gpu as the Ouya and I can expand its storage.
    Last edited by lartomar2002; 06-27-2013 at 01:29 AM.
    Nothing right in my left brain, Nothing left in my right brain.
    http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/forum.php

Quote Originally Posted by lartomar2002 View Post
    If you check the Ouya page on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/OUYA-Console/d...&keywords=ouya
    you will see that one of the marketing points says that it is expandable via USB port. Is that false advertising? I say it is but, I know there will be others that disagree.
    While I'm not defending them putting that as a feature, technically you can expand the memory much in the same way as you used to be able to before apps2SD support.

Jeremy, how can you say this is not a Ouya problem? Who do you think wrote the specs. My Asus TF700 has the same cpu and gpu as the Ouya and I can expand its storage.
    You can expand it's storage via USB (NOT SD) and install apps to said USB drive? As far as I knew, this was not possible. In fact, I know for sure it's not possible on some of the newer phones.

What I meant is it's a limitation that's built into Android for a long time, as I mentioned there was a time not too long ago when apps couldn't even be installed to the SD card on phones! When I plug my USB drive into my Galaxy S3 running Android 4.2, I cannot install apps to it, I can only read files from or write files to it.

Can they overcome this? I'm sure! Many non-google devs did it with SD cards before Android officially supported apps2SD, but it'll take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Reilloc View Post
    While I'm not defending them putting that as a feature, technically you can expand the memory much in the same way as you used to be able to before apps2SD support.

You can expand it's storage via USB (NOT SD) and install apps to said USB drive? As far as I knew, this was not possible. In fact, I know for sure it's not possible on some of the newer phones.

What I meant is it's a limitation that's built into Android for a long time, as I mentioned there was a time not too long ago when apps couldn't even be installed to the SD card on phones! When I plug my USB drive into my Galaxy S3 running Android 4.2, I cannot install apps to it, I can only read files from or write files to it.

Can they overcome this? I'm sure! Many non-google devs did it with SD cards before Android officially supported apps2SD, but it'll take some time.
    I agree with what you are saying up to a point. If Ouya was aware of this limitation why did they not mention it instead of implying it is available. To me omissions are the same as, dare I say it, lying. But, that is just the way my moral compass floats! Of course I know this is common in "business" but, it still does not make it any easier to swallow. Believe me before I invest in another startup I will now know what questions to ask. As one headline I read says " Ouya wins, Kickstarter loses"!
    Last edited by lartomar2002; 06-27-2013 at 03:22 AM.
    Nothing right in my left brain, Nothing left in my right brain.
    http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/forum.php

So I can't use a USB stick for extra game storage? Regret buying that 64GB stick now!
    Xbox 360 - bentleyma

OUYA - Bentleyma

I agree with what you are saying up to a point. If Ouya was aware of this limitation why did they not mention it instead of implying it is available.
    Because the limitation is temporary, since they are working on it as a feature that will be added to all OUYA consoles once they are finished, and was hoping it would be available by the time the system launched. The marketing information was given to Amazon and other companies way back in February, so it's not like they just now made this claim that storage is expandable through USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentleyma View Post
    So I can't use a USB stick for extra game storage? Regret buying that 64GB stick now!
    Right now you can use it to store files that apps look for, such as movies/TV shows for XBMC, Roms for emulators, or some games download extra data and allow you to store that data on the USB device (I think Bard's Tale is one of these).
    Last edited by Dreamzle; 06-28-2013 at 11:03 PM.