Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 Rogues

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

100 Rogues

100 Rogues is a roguelike, in the vein of nethack, rogue, or Shiren the Wanderer. The genre is a classic subset of RPGs that's well-known for its often unforgiving difficulty and super deep gameplay, but 100 Rogues offers a different approach to both. Most of the gameplay depth is accomplished by pitting mobs of monsters with often unusual and synergistic abilities against your player class'.

Trailer!

The game features four player classes.

Crusader: similar to D&D Paladins, with their ability to take damage and in moderation. Crusader's are encouraged to push their luck, relying on God himself to save them from death, by either healing him or smiting his foes.

Wizard: A literal glass cannon. She packs a powerful punch with her crystal magic, dealing AoE damage and maintaining control of the battlefield by teleporting, slowing, or confusing her foes.

Scoundrel: Insanely powerful with her dagger, the Scoundrel can build up power and unleash devestating backstabs and can potentially deal more than 10x the damage of the next most powerful class. With no means of directly compensating for her low health, a careful scoundrel can avoid damage altogether with smoke bombs, and by shifting around enemies.

Bruiser: He charges, hard. His giant claws rip through everything in front of him. He EATS his equipment to give him strength. He's turns into a gorram dinosaur. What more could you possibly want?

The retro, Disney inspired pixel art features Bandits, Rats, and Cowboy-Robots in the Bandit hole, and an equally robust cast of villains in the Dungeon and Hell worlds.

The game originally release in 2010 on iPhones, but has also seen release on Mac OS X and iPads. But! Players of the iOS version can tell you, the 100 Rogues team believes in constantly improving its titles, and the Ouya port will be no exception. We will be massively updating the existing design to improve, streamline and provide exciting new features. This includes a new game mode that will be announced closer to release that we think console gamers have been denied for a very long time. We also plan to continue our update cycle on Ouya, providing new content and features to players for as long as possible.

Development is currently on schedule for the release as a launch title for Ouya. Check out our website! http://100Rogues.com
    Last edited by WesPaugh; 10-31-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added trailer

This game looks to have some promise. Please keep us updated with screenshots and such. Any idea how much you will be charging on OUYA?

Chats

The iOS version is really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing it on OUYA!
    Ed
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by RinseIT View Post
    This game looks to have some promise. Please keep us updated with screenshots and such. Any idea how much you will be charging on OUYA?
    Unfortunately, it's too far away to say, right now. All I can say at this point is that the entire team feels the current In-App Purchases, despite being appropriate for when they were developed, are not ideal for players or for us. This may mean we build some of the cost of developing those additions into the price of the overall App.

I will definitely continue posting development screenshots. I took this one yesterday after announcing the port on the 100 Rogues website, as well.

It doesn't show a whole lot of action just yet, but you can see our pixel-art style and get something of a feel for how you move about the game.

Looks like it will transfer well to the big screen then. I'm guessing this is on iPad as well? Have you got any plans on how you will use the extra screen size?
    Follow me on Twitter! - @Sam_Jessop

Quote Originally Posted by SamJ View Post
    Looks like it will transfer well to the big screen then. I'm guessing this is on iPad as well? Have you got any plans on how you will use the extra screen size?
    The current plan is to just leave it empty, showing a wider section of the map. It's a happy coincidence that this will work better with our intended changes to map generation, which will de-emphasize exploration in a way that Ouya players won't have an easier game because they can see more of the map.

The Ouya interface will be much, much cleaner that iOS. We don't need an attack button, menu button, or skip turn button. The player will have a way to intuitively understand where the level exit is, so we won't need a minimap or corresponding button. We've even found a good compromise between the clutter provided by quick-slots and the hassel of accessing the inventory screen.

tl;dr What you see in that screenshot is pretty much the interface you see while playing. Contextual stuff like the radial menu might get moved over into the wings of the screen, somehow, if needed. The current assumption is that the existing placement for that stuff will work fine, though.

edit: site seems to be down, so my screenshot is no longer linking. Hopefully it will return later today.

Sounds like you guys have put a lot of thought into this already I like it so far.
    Follow me on Twitter! - @Sam_Jessop

Development is still coming along nicely. I've just uploaded a video of a new gameplay mode for the Ouya port, No-Animation mode. It's a completely optional mode that lets expert players speed up gameplay.

Can't wait, this looks great!

Got another video for you! Here you see one of our original Player Classes and many of his skills. Each of the other three player classes will have an equally diverse and unique roster of abilities.