Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OUYA - The Hardware Issues - Hackable, but Upgradable?

Guys, I know that the OUYA will be hackable, meaning it can be modded without voiding the warranty. However, will it be upgradable?

Android phones are ever changing. Every 2 years people get a new phone. Same goes for tablets. My questions is, will the OUYA console be upgradable, or will we eventually need to purchase an 2nd generation console?

I'm not too tech savvy so I was wondering if perhaps someone would have a better explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by AliAla View Post
    Guys, I know that the OUYA will be hackable, meaning it can be modded without voiding the warranty. However, will it be upgradable?

Android phones are ever changing. Every 2 years people get a new phone. Same goes for tablets. My questions is, will the OUYA console be upgradable, or will we eventually need to purchase an 2nd generation console?

I'm not too tech savvy so I was wondering if perhaps someone would have a better explanation.
    Depends on how quickly it expands as a platform, no one can give you an answer on that at this stage.

The hardware really isn't all the great. I don't think the selling point here is the hardware as much as what it can do by running android on you TV. It's not going to be able to handle games that run on Xbox 360 or PS3. I wish it were able to, but by looking at the specs it certainly won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankeve View Post
    The hardware really isn't all the great. I don't think the selling point here is the hardware as much as what it can do by running android on you TV. It's not going to be able to handle games that run on Xbox 360 or PS3. I wish it were able to, but by looking at the specs it certainly won't.
    The hardware really isn't that bad, somewhat equivalent to what the vita can do. Personally I'd hope that the Ouya team would swear off yearly releases so that developers looking at doing bigger projects would know that all the tweaks they are doing to get the most out of the current hardware isn't moot when the more powerful Ouya comes out 6 months later. A bi or tri yearly release would also help avoid large fragmentation in the ecosystem, ensuring that if a developer creates something for the device, everyone that owns it will be able to purchase and use it.

^^^
    I hope this situaion is addressed, as well.

Being open source, based on android and mobile technology, one has to be realistic regarding end game visuals. I really don't know a whole lot about Tegra. Neither am I a hardware engineer. I do know that, from what I've seen visually, Tegra3 is pretty impression. From what I've read, the core is an all around work horse. Will the chip come overclocked, a possibility considering its increase in scale/cooling/power delivery? Will it have tighter architecture and better drivers to support more defined roles? I see no reason why not.

Concerning upgradeable hardware, we'll just have to wait and see. With the mobile market changing so dynamically, it's hard for me to believe the system was not designed with expansion/improvements in mind. I don't want to say that improvements to visuals are no longer relevant, but I certainly believe that the scale at which visuals change, are beginning to plateau. It's not like ps2 -> ps3. In past generations there have been DEFINITIVE improvements in visual quality from one generation to the next. While we'll still see changes, the gap is beginning to tighten, and the quality of visuals is becoming available to a wider developer base. So, it makes me wonder if Ouya is at such a disadvantage, future hardware wise, as one may think. Hell, we haven't even see games running on the system itself, just generic tech demo's of Tegra3.
    Landscape Architecture Portfolio http://www.gheridsmick.com

I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

"We walk by faith, not by sight."

Im sure we can upgrade the hardware as the ouya is already at a disadvantage...it'd be a computer of some sorts

I would say hardware upgrades from OUYA would come out every 12 months, but no sooner. OUYA would want developers to focus on the 'current' version of OUYA for as long as possible, to try and get the absolute best out of the device before the next version comes along.

1 members found this post helpful.
    I wouldn't consider the hardware "upgradable". This is assuming you mean to upgrade it like a PC by replacing internal parts etc. I believe that the entire system will be built on one primary PCB and that upgrading certain components would be nothing for the average user to attempt. As far as new, upgraded consoles coming out, I think that there are a lot of possibilities. In line with what many of you have said, it may be an annual thing where a new console comes out, maybe even letting you stick to the same controllers. Maybe they'll release new consoles around the time that Android changes versions. (Gingerbread to ICS, etc) I don't think it would be wise for Ouya to even try to figure all those details out YET tho. I think within 3 months of the major release, the direction of Ouya will become clear. They are at a definite disadvantage for long term planning because they jumping in to a new market. There are many other markets with similar aspects, but not theirs exactly. That means that there is no example for them to follow for several aspects of their future and are solely counting on the community's response. I'm personally very anxious to follow the course of it all and have confidence that whatever direction they go will be what the community demands of them. They seem to listen to what the masses want. It's kind of like a gamer's democracy. Go Ouya!
    modEVERYTHING

Why upgrade ? Hack it your Way

Quote Originally Posted by Frankeve View Post
    How are you judging this?

PlayStation 3:
    PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz 512KB L2 cache
    256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
    256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

Xbox 360:
    3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
    512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz

OUYA:
    (Tegra 3) 4+1 Core @ 1.5GHz/core. L2 Cache 1 MB / L1 Cache (I/D) (32KB / 32KB) per core
    1GB RAM (unknown)

So... Maybe the android platform may not support a lot of the game *yet*. The console can sure as hell handle anything thrown at it.