How to Get & Play Games for the Emulators on your OUYA
Many people have been asking how they can upload ROMs (Games) to their OUYA for use with one of the many emulators currently available in the OUYA store. Sure there are SNES, NES, and N64 emulators as well as others on the way, but they don't include games (ROMs). Here is a guide on how to get these retro games on your OUYA, and play them.
1) Sign up for Dropbox.com if you don't already have an account. It's free and only takes one minute.
2) Install Dropbox (dropbox.apk) on your OUYA by going to https://www.dropbox.com/android or http://android.sc/latest-dropbox-for...-for-download/ and clicking on Download Link. Once you click the link the APK should be available on your OUYA in the download folder within a minute.
3) Open the APK file on your OUYA. This is done by going to Manage > System > Advanced > Storage > Downloads > and clicking on Dropbox.apk (or something similar)
4) Download your ROMs (emulator games) onto your PC via a website. There are plenty that have ROMs you are looking for. Just search google for "N64 Roms", "NES Roms", etc. In most cases you will download a zip file.
5) Unzip the the file, and then upload it to your Dropbox account, via your computer.
6) Now open Dropbox on your OUYA by going to Make > Software > Dropbox
7) Login and then you will see all the files that you have uploaded from your computer to Dropbox.
8) In order to download them to your OUYA, scroll down to the one you want to put on your OUYA and hold down the "O" button (don't just click it). You will get a menu that pops up. Scroll down to "Export" and select that. Then use your trackpad (touchpad) on your OUYA controller to move the arrow down to "Export" and then double tab your trackpad while the arrow is still on "Export". This will download the ROM to your "Download" folder on your OUYA.
9) Open up your Emulator (Mupen64, etc). Then load up the ROM you downloaded.
That's it, your game should load up and you can repeat for more games (ROMs).
Below is a list of the currently available emulators in the OUYA Store:
-Atari 2600 - 2600.emu
-Gameboy Advanced - GBA.emu
-Gameboy Color - GBC.emu
-Nintendo - EMUya
-Nintendo - NES.emu
-Super NES - SuperGNES
-Nintendo 64 - Mupen64Plus
-Commodore 64 - C64.emu
-x86 PC - ConSoul
-TurboGrafx 16 / PC Engine - PCE.emu
-Playstation 1 - FPse for OUYA
-Sega Genesis / Mega Drive - MD.emu
-MSX / Colecovision - MSX.emu
-NeoGeo - NEO.emu
-NeoGeo Pocket Color - NGP.emu
Let me know if you have any questions.
Mad props for posting this up, I know there has been some "Controversy" over the use of Roms and Emulators, so thanks for posting this quick guide up, never would have thought to use Dropbox honestly, so big thanks.
Yeah there are ways around using dropbox, but dropbox saves the step of transferring files. Dropbox will be very useful on the OUYA for many things I think.
Hi, I use another method for install apps or test my games.
I explained in my web but is in spanish so...
1. Install a file explorer app on your Ouya.
2. Connect the Ouya to Pc with a Usb cable.
3. Copy all you want and install the apks from the File Explorer.
I just use "ES File Explorer" to connect via network
Thanks for this info. For those wanting my method. I found a link for dropbox.apk but since Ouya by default doesnt show it to install.. had to find a way. I sent into System, Advanced, went to Storage, Loaded up downloads, installed the apk, then I had to use my Rii Mini bluetooth keyboard to sign in. Now it least shows up in software to use. =)
I found this tutorial Thursday night and bookmarked it in preparation for my Ouya's arrival (which I figured would be another week as slow as the delivery was going). Then it arrived Friday to my surprise and this is the first thing I did. This tutorial is greatly appreciated.
Just a note, not sure why but the first link for dropbox would not work for some reason, so I had to use the second one.
was anyone able to get the ouya controller to work with the latest Retroarch?
Guide is a bit lacking, I'll post up more info when I get my new console in the psot.
How do you set up that?
Originally Posted by IC3F3AR