Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chats

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Face It... The Ouya Is Doomed! ReviewTechUSA.

-->
    A very poorly done interview with no actual video of the console, just commentary about it. It's a terrible review with a negative outlook by the reviewer, but I thought I'd post it anyways.

Last edited by James Andrew Coote; 06-03-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Skipped video to stuff actually about OUYA
    The OUYA Kickstarter & Other Crowd-Funding Campaigns section needs a section moderator. If you're interested then click here and apply.
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com's rules and check us out at Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn
    If you have an emergency related to OUYAForum then feel free to contact me via private message here, or on my visitor messages page which can be navigated to from my profile page here. I usually get back to people within three days.

Chats

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    On a side note: Gunslugs gameplay! Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdHVGiu5Ue0
    Last edited by James Andrew Coote; 06-03-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Changed off topic video to a link
    The OUYA Kickstarter & Other Crowd-Funding Campaigns section needs a section moderator. If you're interested then click here and apply.
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com's rules and check us out at Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn
    If you have an emergency related to OUYAForum then feel free to contact me via private message here, or on my visitor messages page which can be navigated to from my profile page here. I usually get back to people within three days.

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar
    Chats

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    This is a good example of how OUYA are failing to get their message across. There are loads of reasons to like the OUYA, but clearly they are not being made, and the result is that it comes across in blogs and videos like this one as a bit "meh"
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Ouya Fan
    Chats

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    He lost me at "Put your cock on my shoulder".... And I wasn't too impressed before that. But, I will say one or two more things.

The argument that if you want to play with a "bud", you need to pay an extra $50. At least you HAVE that option, where I don't think you do if you are simply hooking up your tablet to the TV. Can anyone correct me on that? Can you do doubles playing on a tablet hooked up to the TV? Locally that is?

I guess it was just one more thing. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Arrow

I am not in disagreement, Mr. Coote. If they want to be in the best position possible in the near future, they better figure out how to convince the consumer why they should get this product, otherwise the potential of this console will remain just that.

Chats

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    there will be always haters of any console. look at the ps4 launch every one up in arms as Sony launch a product with showing the world what it look like. people bi*tched then the Xbox one launch wow miss direction by Microsoft that then read like you will have to pay for every thing.

here is a product that's free to mess with its not even on general release yet so how can some people judge it fairly.

cannot wait to get my teeth in to one.
    Maybe if you got a problem your should try solving it using Google for every thing else there's the A-Team.

My Blog Site: http//www.MaNiAc-Uk.net
    My Arcade Hack Site: http://www.xxxx-in-1.com.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by DistantWords View Post
    The argument that if you want to play with a "bud", you need to pay an extra $50. At least you HAVE that option, where I don't think you do if you are simply hooking up your tablet to the TV.
    Or if you have a 360/PS3 controller lying around. Which most people do.
    MELT-DOWN | FREE-DEMO

Chats

He danced around a pretty valid point without really hammering it home.

• Ouya's special because every title in it's smaller store is geared around needing a controller.
    • As current android devs update their titles for ouya, and as new titles come out, they will naturally go back and update the version of their game on the play store to support controller as well.
    • Because of this, the more popular ouya gets, the more games on the google play store will support controller, and the less relevant the console becomes.
    • Good news for gamers who like controllers, but not terribly great news for ouya.

So really what does that mean? Well ouya could be a semi-successful niche device kept around for some of its 'consolish' niceties like a controller-driven launch menu. In that scenario it's still been rendered largely irrelevant by google play's massive selection including just about every game in the ouya store. It could cause a wave of popularity for controller support, but no matter what, google's shop will always have more controller-supported games. And that's the good scenario, where ouya doesn't just fizzle and die at the starting line. I'm fresh out of Ouya games to play--if this things going to take off into the 'irrelevant niche,' it better do it fast.

It might help if the Ouya platform maximized its 'consoleness' with features like a friend status/msg/taunt/score-share system or some other features that modern consoles tend to have, but tablets do not. The more it feels like a console, the bigger its niche gets.

--------------------------------------------
    Perhaps Ouya's entire future could be squished out by the google play store bothering to add a filter to only display controller-enabled games. Or maybe other ouya-centered side-loaded app stores will pop up and kill the main one. Or maybe we'll all be running community modded firmware or find some way to get apps from the play store. Or maybe somebody else will release another android console and fracture the tiny market. Lots could happen, and things that might be really good for us as gamers, might be pretty bad for Ouya's future.
    Last edited by Reaperman; 06-03-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Ouya Devotee
    Chats

the fact that he did not show any OUYA video makes me disregard the video/review altogether.

Gunslugs looks fun. The music reminds me of classic Commodore64 games.

Administrator James Andrew Coote's Avatar
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Reaperman View Post
    He danced around a pretty valid point without really hammering it home.

• Ouya's special because every title in it's smaller store is geared around needing a controller.
    • As current android devs update their titles for ouya, and as new titles come out, they will naturally go back and update the version of their game on the play store to support controller as well.
    • Because of this, the more popular ouya gets, the more games on the google play store will support controller, and the less relevant the console becomes.
    • Good news for gamers who like controllers, but not terribly great news for ouya.

So really what does that mean? Well ouya could be a semi-successful niche device kept around for some of its 'consolish' niceties like a controller-driven launch menu. In that scenario it's still been rendered largely irrelevant by google play's massive selection including just about every game in the ouya store. It could cause a wave of popularity for controller support, but no matter what google's shop will always have more controller-supported games. And that's the good scenario, where ouya doesn't just fizzle and die at the starting line. I'm fresh out of Ouya games to play--if this things going to take off into the irrelevant niche, it better do it fast.

It might help if the Ouya platform maximized its 'consoleness' with features like a friend status/msg/taunt/score-share system or some other features that modern consoles tend to have, but tablets do not. The more it feels like a console, the bigger its niche gets.

--------------------------------------------
    Perhaps Ouya's entire future could be squished out by the google play store bothering to add a filter to only display controller-enabled games. Or maybe other ouya-centered side-loaded app stores will pop up and kill the main one. Or maybe we'll all be running community modded firmware or find some way to get apps from the play store. Lots could happen, and things that might be really good for us as gamers, might be pretty bad for Ouya's future.
    Lots of people have pointed out the fact you can hook your tablet into your TV, and connect a controller to boot. But not many people actually do so, and it's useful to ask why?

For one, it's not a well advertised feature. But as you say, the more people play with an OUYA or similar device, the more likely they will become aware they can do the same thing with a tablet.

The biggest thing though has to be convenience. Part of the point of a tablet is that it is mobile/portable. You can take it to the park on a warm sunny day or snuggle up with it in bed on a cold winter's night. When you have to keep plugging and unplugging it from the TV, it gets a bit onerous. Worse though is that you need to hold most controllers with two hands. That gets awkward unless you are sitting in front of the TV with the tablet connected. But most of the time you want to use the device, it's in places other than in the sitting room.

Sure you can get docking ports and all that, but it's an extra expense and an extra step effort wise. With an OUYA, you can plug it in once and forget about it, and that fits into the current setup most people have of a series of boxes under the TV

The other thing is the TV/lounge environment is different to the mobile / on the go, or the typical PC/desk setup people have. Once developers start to work out how to take advantage of that (and increasingly we're seeing them do that with local multiplayer games, but could also be with peripherals and motion controllers, or longer, more in-depth, immersive games that are in contrast to the time-filler 10-minute experience for the train to work). Then OUYA games will start to really differentiate themselves from their cousins on Google Play.

Slightly less likely, but still possible is that OUYA could also build itself as a place to find the latest interesting indie games or the go to place for the highest quality Android apps. That all takes time, as does the building up of a large user base and library of games

The other thing is that the OUYA is only meant to augment your existing gaming experience. It won't entirely occupy your time like a PC or one of the bigger consoles. For the first year or two, I think a lot of people will keep having this experience like you're having. Getting bored of the OUYA, putting it to one side, then a couple of months later, hearing about an interesting OUYA game, digging it out and having a blast for a while with all the new games that have come out for it. Then getting bored again or getting distracted by the latest AAA game to come out on PC/PS4/Xbone. Only to come back once you've got bored of that and are looking for something a bit different again
    Last edited by James Andrew Coote; 06-03-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover