Close
Advertise Here
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

If you've got a small flat and/or a lomg USB cable, you can just keep the USB cable attached to the PS3 pad and it works fine. THe added benefit is that it will always be charged and I think it isn't paired per sec with the Ouya, so you might be able to still have it synced with the PS3 wirelessly (I haven't tried this, though).

If you do choose the wireless option, once youve turned off the Ouya, simply hold the PS Home button down for about 8 secs and the pad will turn off. Normally, I found that it didn't turn off unless I did this.

Also, if you have compatibility issues with the PS3 pad and any given game or app, try contacting the devs of said game and letting them know, I've found that a few emails usually gets the ball rolling with most devs (except for the ones who made ShadowGun. Heck, even Gameloft have responded more than those guys).

So I bought two such controllers just for the Ouya (don't own a PS), tried the guide -- and it wouldn't work. Well, when connected by cable (directly to the USB port, not to an unpowered USB hub) the controller worked just fine, but it would not pair in step 7. In fact, it did not seem to turn on at all, which was my clue.

I had to charge it, and not just a few minutes. After I did that overnight, the controller turned on and paired just fine.

There are also some minor changes, probably due to Ouya updates over the last year. I'd also not even list plugging the power cable; that's dangerous business (I keep frying my Pi's file system with that...) Furthermore, I'd directly include how to turn the controller off again: no signal from the Ouya, be it system menu or shutdown, seems to work.

Therefore, I propose these the following new version to make the guide more dummy-proof:

1. Fully charge the controller.

Note: look for flashing LEDs; they won't charge on every USB port, even powered ones.
    2. Plug your PS3 Controller into your Ouya using a mini-USB to standard USB cable.

Note: May not work via an (unpowered) USB Hub; connect it directly to the Ouya.
    3. Press the Home/PS3 button; this should open the system menu.

Make sure the PS3 controller is working by using it to navigate the menus. You will also note that the Ouya controller has been disconnected and won't pair. This is because plugging in the PS3 controller on USB turns off Bluetooth.
    4. To solve this, first completely power down your Ouya. You can do this holding down the power button on the top of the console for 5 seconds.
    5. Unplug the PS3 controller from the Ouya.
    6. Turn the Ouya back on.
    7. Press the Home/PS3 button on the PS3 controller as you would with a normal Ouya controller to pair it. Other (Ouya) controllers should now also pair.

Note: All paired PS3 controller will indicate with their LEDs that they are controller 1. Don't worry, your Ouya assigns reasonable numbers!
    8. When you are done playing, hold the Home/PS3 buttons for up to ten seconds until the LEDs go out. The controller won't shut down otherwise, draining the battery!
    Ad 2, it may work with a powered USB Hub. I don't have one lying around so I can't try.

I'm not sure how your revision is any different from the original way.

you know what you are trying to help people, so I'm walking away.
    Last edited by undftdroar; 06-08-2014 at 11:26 AM.

<snark>Have you read the posts?</snark>

The basis process is the same, the details differ: new step 1 (crucial), notes for step 2 and 7, and some adaptions to the current Ouya system (pressing Home instead of holding, no pairing screen after boot), removed obsolete unplugging instructions (the cable can remain plugged it at one end, does not matter), safer shutdown instructions, new hint on how to turn off controllers.

Quite different, I'd say.

But why the ps3 D-pad don't work with retroarch?

That's probably an issue with the game, not controller or console; every game has to implement its own controller support, sadly.

I recommend running Bombsquad, the game with the best controller support I've seen so far. If the controller works fine there, all is well on the system side. (I'd even had it work with controllers that did not work in the menus!).

The usual advice is to contact the developers of the game you have trouble with.

The PS3 d-pad work with Retroarch but after one second delay
    In the first menu (general, input, setting) work fine but when I run the game I've one second delay problem with d-pad. I try with the green/grey menu but the problem remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurendaiz View Post
    The PS3 d-pad work with Retroarch but after one second delay
    In the first menu (general, input, setting) work fine but when I run the game I've one second delay problem with d-pad. I try with the green/grey menu but the problem remain.
    Try restarting the OUYA (as in totally power it off by holding down the top on/off button for 5 seconds). As well, make sure your PS3 controller is fully charged.

Another test you can do is to use an OUYA controller (d-pad) and see if that also lags in the same places.
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Quote Originally Posted by James Andrew Coote View Post
    Try restarting the OUYA (as in totally power it off by holding down the top on/off button for 5 seconds). As well, make sure your PS3 controller is fully charged.

Another test you can do is to use an OUYA controller (d-pad) and see if that also lags in the same places.
    Ouya pad work fine. PS3 pad work perfect with all emulartor and mame4droid. With retroarch the d-pad have one second delay. If i push for one second this move.