Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question about stock Android on Ouya

I'm new to this Ouya stuff, but am interested because I want to use stock android on my TV with the controller for easy and casual controls. It sounds much better than using one of those android sticks from shoddy chinese manufacturers that require a separate touchpad/keyboard.

However, I saw some reviews and all it showed was a simple menu with big letters and not much else. When the Ouya ships in June and I get one, can I easily access the regular Android launcher and download apps from the play store? Or is there a very easy way to just install stock android onto it? I know the Ouya will eventually get Netflix integration, but in the meantime it would be easier to just download the regular Android app? I'm basically just looking for Netflix and casual TV internet browsing. How well does the controller work with surfing and stuff? Or moving around in general?

The big question is whether stock android will work with the controller (whether you can navigate the menu's etc and also how easy it is to pair the controller). I don't know if anyone has tried yet.

It's not easy to install Google Play onto the OUYA because you have to install some extra service-type apps / auxiliary apps that Google Play needs to work correctly, but I'd say it is still easier than installing stock android then finding things don't work. Of course I've not actually tried it myself because installing Google Play on a non-Google approved device breaks the terms of service and is therefore technically illegal *wink*
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

It doesn't support stock Android? It's not a Google certified device? Wasn't the selling point that it was running a vanilla version of Android and was really hackable? I thought the Ouya store was some app or special launcher and that everything underneath was basic Android that you can get to in one click. I would've hoped they would at least have stock android at launch and build the rest up from there. Are you telling me you can't control vanilla android with a controller? Like a movable cursor? Maybe someone more knowledgeable could help answer that. I think something like that already works with regular phones and paired bluetooth accessories?

Chats

Not sure where you got the whole vanilla Android idea from, but that has never been the case. And in thinking so, you've sort of missed part of the point of the OUYA as a game console.

Side note: James, apparently you aren't knowledgeable enough to answer questions regarding stock Android.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    It doesn't support stock Android? It's not a Google certified device? Wasn't the selling point that it was running a vanilla version of Android and was really hackable? I thought the Ouya store was some app or special launcher and that everything underneath was basic Android that you can get to in one click. I would've hoped they would at least have stock android at launch and build the rest up from there. Are you telling me you can't control vanilla android with a controller? Like a movable cursor? Maybe someone more knowledgeable could help answer that. I think something like that already works with regular phones and paired bluetooth accessories?
    It's running on Jelly Bean and 'supposedly' it is hackable. I can't tell you that it's true because I don't have an OUYA on my hands. The OUYA store is basically a marketplace like PSN, Xbox Live and Google Play... And that Wii thing that I don't know what it's called. The rest of your doubts I cannot respond to because I do not know the answers.

It doesn't support stock Android? It's not a Google certified device? Wasn't the selling point that it was running a vanilla version of Android and was really hackable? I thought the Ouya store was some app or special launcher and that everything underneath was basic Android that you can get to in one click.
    This was never the case, I'm not sure where you heard it but it was NEVER mentioned on the Kickstarter or anywhere else by the official OUYA sources.
    In fact, the whole point of the console is that it's NOT just stock Android, otherwise there's no point (you could just plug in a controller to your Android).

Well wasn't it suppose to be the same as developing for stock android? So you can develop for the console and utilize the controller or whatever special tegra 3 optimizations were available for the console, and if it fails on ouya or you wanna expand to smartphones you basically just remove some stuff and change a few parameters and voila? I thought it was a COMPLETELY open platform, meaning it would use stock android instead of something more fine tailored, and the rest would be just a launcher or skin to make it UI friendly.

If you can't utilize all the android stuff that is already out there on it without specificly having to develop for it, isn't this an unnecessary obstacle for devs who are already doing android?

I dunno. All the reviews and hands-on I've read have said android android android over and over again, and how you can put homebrew and emulators and a whole bunch of other stuff. I was assuming it was basically an android box, with the full android experience underneath, including the play store. The ouya would be their own separate store that had games tailored for the TV resolution and tegra 3 and controller.

I think I'll just go get a used android stick with quad-core.

Well wasn't it suppose to be the same as developing for stock android? So you can develop for the console and utilize the controller or whatever special tegra 3 optimizations were available for the console, and if it fails on ouya or you wanna expand to smartphones you basically just remove some stuff and change a few parameters and voila? I thought it was a COMPLETELY open platform, meaning it would use stock android instead of something more fine tailored, and the rest would be just a launcher or skin to make it UI friendly.

If you can't utilize all the android stuff that is already out there on it without specificly having to develop for it, isn't this an unnecessary obstacle for devs who are already doing android?

I dunno. All the reviews and hands-on I've read have said android android android over and over again, and how you can put homebrew and emulators and a whole bunch of other stuff. I was assuming it was basically an android box, with the full android experience underneath, including the play store. The ouya would be their own separate store that had games tailored for the TV resolution and tegra 3 and controller.
    No you're right, from a development perspective it is pretty much android in a box, and the OUYA stuff on top is a launcher/skin, at least at the moment. You can get into the stock android settings for the OUYA from the Manage -> system -> advanced in the OUYA UI and do whatever. Under the hood, any app that works for android will work for OUYA, except you need to implement controller support
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

I think I'll just go get a used android stick with quad-core.
    Well yeah, under the hood OUYA does run on almost stock Android, which is what makes it easy to develop for. But no, you can't just click a button and pop up stock Android and have access to Google Play. IMHO it would kind of defeat the purpose.

Chats

You should keep an eye on this forum, they'll probably have roms and whatnot popping up as soon as more people start receiving their units

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2103
    Bimey's turning into a cartoon as well as a game! Check out our Facebook (and like!)
    https://www.facebook.com/BimeyAndFriends
    And play our new miniweb game at:
    http://www.bimey.com/webgame.html