Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Responses to the Common OUYA Questions, Comments & Naysayers

Eddie's Editorials #2 - By Ed Krassenstein
    Responses to the Common OUYA Questions, Comments & Naysayers

I personally browser around Twitter and Facebook daily to see what people are saying and asking about the OUYA. Here are some of the more common questions, and comments I see. I also have tried to answer these the best I can.

- Why would I buy an OUYA, when I can simply hook my phone up to my TV?
    - Because OUYA games are built specifically for your TV, and allow you to use a controller that the games are built specifically around.

- OUYA has no good games!
    - First of all, this is not true. If you took the time to try out all the games, there are some hidden gems. However, keep in mind that there are currently less than 115 games on the console. We have confirmed over 600 games that will be coming to OUYA. On top of this, we know that several larger development studios are currently creating games for OUYA as well. Also, it is very important to keep in mind, that many developers are keeping their games under wraps until they get closer to launch. The public has only known about OUYA for less than a year. To expect AAA game studios to create a "good" game in just a few months is crazy! Some games take years of development. There will be GREAT games on OUYA, just give it some time.

- Why are OUYA backers getting a BETA version of the OUYA console? They should get the final production version.
    - OUYA backers are NOT getting a BETA version of the OUYA console! They are getting the real thing. They however, are testing a "BETA" version of the OUYA storefront and UI, as well as only some of the hundreds of games that will be available for OUYA by June 4th (official launch). Upon the official OUYA launch, the Kickstarter Backers will be using the same version of OUYA as those who buy the console at the store on June 4th. The backers get to test the console earlier, and get to provide feedback for changes that need to be made to the OUYA User Interface (UI).

- The reviews for the OUYA have been quite negative. Should I still pre-order one?
    - The reviewers who wrote these reviews on the OUYA seems to have thought that they were testing the final OUYA User Interface, as well as playing the only games that will be available at retail release (June 4th). This is not the case. OUYA has not even sent out review units to the press yet. The reviewers are testing a product that is not 100% complete as of yet. There will be plenty of changes to the OUYA store and OUYA User Interface before the official launch of the console. The reviewers were simply reviewing a BETA version, one that is not yet complete. Perhaps this was a case of wanting to be the first publications to review the OUYA, because they knew it would generate tons of traffic and plenty of readers.

- I don't want to buy an OUYA because they plan to upgrade every year, and I don't want to have to purchase a new console each year.
    - You won't have to purchase a new console each year. This is like saying that you don't want to purchase a new iPad or Tablet, because you don't want to have to purchase a new one each year. Smartphones and Tablets are upgraded several times a year. In fact it seems like the moment you buy one, there is another bigger/better one available. OUYA is an android based console, and they plan to follow the Android model of upgrades. The fact that you have a 3 year old OUYA won't mean you can't play current games. Perhaps some games would be built for the more advanced technology, but that would probably only be a handful.

- The OUYA doesn't stand a chance against the PS4 and Xbox 720!
    - The OUYA doesn't intend to take on the PS4 or Xbox 720. They believe that PS4 owners would also be interested in spending an additional $99 to play games that aren't available on their current console. The OUYA is a $99 console, whereas the PS4 could be priced at over $400.

- I ordered an extra controller and now OUYA is telling me I have to wait longer to receive my console because of this.
    - Yes, you will have to wait longer, but that means you will have to wait a few HOURS longer to get your shipping notification. You won't be waiting any longer to actually receive your console.

- Is OnLive still coming to OUYA?
    - The last we heard OnLive and OUYA still have an agreement to bring the cloud gaming technology to OUYA. No official date has been set as of yet though.

- I'm an OUYA Kickstarter Backer. When will I get my console?
    - OUYA is shipping out units as fast as they can. They started on March 27th (1 day before they originally said they would), and plan to continue all throughout the month of April. Starting this week, they plan to build and ship units 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They will also begin sending out email notifications 1 week prior to shipping your console to let you know that your order is queued up. The final delivery should be in May. Each Friday, they will be updating the shipping process on their blog at: http://www.ouya.tv/blog/

- In what order is OUYA sending out consoles to Kickstarter Backers?
    - OUYA is going by backer number. If you were the 5th person to back the console on Kickstarter, you should conceivably be the 5th to have your console shipped to you.

- How can I tell what my Kickstarter Backer number is?
    - You should have received some emails from OUYA.tv in the past. More specifically from Team OUYA <no-reply@ouya.tv>. One email that every backer should have received would have been on or around December 13-16, 2012. That email was titled: "Reserve your OUYA Username". If you find this old email and scroll to the bottom of it, you will see something that reads:
    "P.S. In case you were curious, you were Kickstarter backer number XXXXX for OUYA. Thank you for believing."
    (XXXXX will be your backer number).

- I bet all the OUYA backers feel stupid now that the console has received bad reviews.
    - I can answer for myself on this one, and I certainly don't feel stupid at all. In fact I feel like I was one of the few that helped a dream console turn into a reality. I fully believe that in 5 year from now, the OUYA will still be around! Please read above about why the reviews were not considered to be a fair assessment of the OUYA.

- I am a developer that wants to port my games to OUYA. Can I still purchase an OUYA Developer Unit?
    - No you can't, but you don't have to. Every OUYA console works the same way a Developer console works. The Developer units were a special pre-order deal that was shipped out long before the regular units. These units cost $600 (more than a regular unit that goes for $99). However, developers wanted to get their hands on them prior to the regular release, so they paid extra. If you want to get a console now to develop for, you only need a regular OUYA console.

- I love OUYA
    - So do we!!
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

Great answers, Ed!
    I hope you don't mind that I snap a couple of these answers to use around the boards and/or when my friends ask about the Ouya
    OUYAGameplays on YouTube: youtube.com/OUYAGameplays
    Twitter Profile: twitter.com/ouyagameplays

Well said Eddie. I think a lot of people are missing the point of the OUYA, it's not meant to compete with PS4 or XBOX720 but to offer an alternative to these over priced over powered monoliths.

It offers an open canvas for devs anywhere at any level to paint on with out having to pass through an intensive corporate vetting process, or pleading a business case of how their next game will be the next massive billion dollar hit. This will open things up for a level of creativity and innovation that hasn't been seen in the console space since the 1980s.

That's what they are meant for

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCapslock View Post
    Great answers, Ed!
    I hope you don't mind that I snap a couple of these answers to use around the boards and/or when my friends ask about the Ouya
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

Hey Eddie -

I don't know where else to put this but it looks like the game "Fist of Fury" has been taken out of the store. I do not know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie K View Post
    - In what order is OUYA sending out consoles to Kickstarter Backers?
    - OUYA is going by backer number. If you were the 5th person to back the console on Kickstarter, you should conceivably be the 5th to have your console shipped to you.
    I don't think that this is correct. I am backer #720 and I haven't recieved any notification about shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysis View Post
    I don't think that this is correct. I am backer #720 and I haven't recieved any notification about shipping.
    What did you order? If you ordered extra controllers or the limited edition OUYA, those are going out later.

Quote Originally Posted by akbarbitcoins View Post
    What did you order? If you ordered extra controllers or the limited edition OUYA, those are going out later.
    I ordered the early backer $95 Ouya with no extra controllers.

I'm not upset or anything, I understand that a launch like this will take time. I'm just putting in my 2 cents about the shipping order.

I for one find the "you don't have to get one every year" argument to be a weak one. If you truly intend this to allay people's fears on the subject, I would suggest that you mention that they've backed off of that statement. The new official line is (parentheticals are my commentary), "Our upgrade cycle will be closer to phones (one year) than to consoles (currently considered 10 years by console manufacturers)." So something like 2 or 3 years between generations is still on the table.

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCPRuckus View Post
    I for one find the "you don't have to get one every year" argument to be a weak one. If you truly intend this to allay people's fears on the subject, I would suggest that you mention that they've backed off of that statement. The new official line is (parentheticals are my commentary), "Our upgrade cycle will be closer to phones (one year) than to consoles (currently considered 10 years by console manufacturers)." So something like 2 or 3 years between generations is still on the table.
    It still bites because you get that feeling of betrayal and abandonment. I feel I must add that nobody is forcing you to buy the newer model. It's all you, baby.
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com's rules. Also make sure to keep up-to-date with contests & sales.
    Show support for OUYAForum by becoming a Supporter.